Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

I wish to take this opportunity to THANK DALE for setting up the Pub so all you nutjobs have some place to vent (you know who who you are). :D

I think Dale should be awarded some kind of metal for making a positive contribution to the mental health of the planet. Goodness knows what you folks would be up to if you didn't have the Pub. :P

Also, because all the ravings here take place by way of keyboard rather than by actual speech, think of the savings in carbon dioxide emissions. So Dale should also get a ecological award. :wink:
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

emmline wrote:
Peter Laban wrote: And Emm, I wasn't really looking for Bloomfield's support..
Oh, I know you can stand up for yourself, I just think he's your guardian angel anyway.
I don't know that Bloo is anyone's guardian angel, but more that he's probably a member of the Fipple Five, with an association to the Montreal Syndicate.

Something I've found puzzling is the membership to posting ratio. Approximately 10% of the 5,000+ people are what I consider posters (at least 500 posts in a span of 1-4 years), with an even smaller percentage very regular posters (Dale referred to that in a post somewhere). That makes for 4,500, or so, that don't participate with any regularity or at all. If you visit for the purpose of lurking, then why join - it isn't necessary. I've wanted to ask these people why they remain silent. Is it shyness, dislike of the threads, changed their minds...? If it is shyness, I'd invite all those in the silent majority to PM with their reasoning; I'm honestly curious.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote:Speaking of guardian angels, I am looking for one myself. Applications welcomed. Intelligence a must, will consider IQ of 34D and up.
There's one job I'm eminently unqualified for. What a relief.
Last edited by emmline on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Peter Laban wrote:(Some hefty editing going on here including some by the moderator to erase my reference to a member's former alter ego)
Actually, Peter, I did some very minor editing to remove your indiscreet use of a name that caused great consternation to the member so named for a reason, I trust, to which you are not privy for if you were I do not believe you would have posted it. That necessitated cleaning up a few 'loose ends' that resulted.
Alan
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's Alan! I saw Alan!
(kind of like spotting Elvis.)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Emmline if you come into chat once in a while, many's a night Alan is there!

MakrB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Hey, Murph. Isorta remember you from my previous life on tho board. I always thought you were a decent chap. Sounds like you're loooking for more of "your kind of people." Some of us don't measure up. That's fine (i suppose). It's only human nature to be happiest when we're with people who think like us and act likde us. Just ask any of the kids sitting at the cool table in any schoold cafeteria. (Of course most of them will be working for the kids sitting at the nerd table in a few years.) That's also why there are country clubs, and fraternities, and various good and nasty little organizations that recruit members who only want to rub elbows with "their kind of people." It's a little hard for some folks to feel good about themselves if there's not someone else to exclude or to knock. We can't be superior if there's no one out there who is inferior. So what good is it to have a forum where we can't exclude people who don't look like us, or think like us or play as well as you do? Kind of stinks, huh? Perhaps some day Dale will wise up and kick some of us out of here to make this place more excusive. Till then, I guess you'll have to deal with these boring posts.

Will O'BAn
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

chas wrote:One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
I started out on the session.org and got to know the folks over there. A couple of my flute students, (Murphy was one) suggested I come and have a look at C&F. I started lurking here for a while, but I didn't want to get involved with another message board... so I just lurked now and then. When the pub started up I really liked the idea of talking with people you have music in common with about subjects unrelated. It is like a pub in that way because at my local I do this with my musical pals. (as well as non-players) So I enjoyed getting involved in the pub for that reason. Does that answer your question?
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

emmline wrote:It's Alan! I saw Alan!
(kind of like spotting Elvis.)
Ignore that man behind the curtain!
Emmline if you come into chat once in a while, many's a night Alan is there!MakrB
Who is this MakrB and why is he saying these things about me? :wink:

Yike... this makes 156 posts for me.

Jack (Murphy), please don't despise me for contributing so to the forum pollution! :lol:
Alan
Denny

Post by Denny »

Alan wrote:Jack (Murphy), please don't despise me for contributing so to the forum pollution! :lol:
Is okay...you're holding a flute!
Alan

Re: Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by Alan »

Tyler Morris wrote:I don't give one red barrell of cat sphincters on their way to the purfume factory what you think of my posts.
No offence Tyler, but I DO care what people think of my posts. I consider that being reasonable and responsible.

Plus I have 763 red barrells of cat sphincters that I simply MUST get rid of as the perfume factory refused the shipment.
Alan
Alan

Post by Alan »

Denny wrote:
Alan wrote:Jack (Murphy), please don't despise me for contributing so to the forum pollution! :lol:
I might be ok as long as I JUST hold it!
Alan
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

You know something, Jack, anyone who communicates privately with other posters on this board has their own view of what the consensus might be. I have also communicated with folks who have similar (to my own) impressions and concepts about the board, what goes on and feelings about individuals that post here. But the difference between you and myself is that I don't assume that it represents a consensus. I don't think the pub was created to live up to your standards -- or mine -- so I don't have any expectations -- I just enjoy it for what it is and give the moderators the benefit of the doubt.

The solution to your problem is overwhelmingly simple. If you don't approve of what goes on and think people should be practicing instead -- go bloody practice then and don’t waste your time reading posts that don’t interest you.

As for the community here at C&F (in the pub,) I'm not concerned about what level their playing is at or how much they practice. I think the board represents a very interesting cross section of people from a wide variety of locations. This is where my local pub and this one are very different. There are some brilliant minds that contribute here as well as people like me that are just interested in other things besides music. I don’t read and contribute exclusively to political threads; I also enjoy the playful ones.

Also, I would never go into my local pub and start lecturing people about what they choose to talk about -- this strikes me to be a bit pompous. If you walked into the Plough and started in with this kind of pedantry you'd find yourself sitting alone before too long.

My advice is to relax and do your own thing, Jack, don't waste time lecturing others on their thing. This board is for everybody… not just you.
Last edited by jGilder on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by Tyler »

Alan wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:I don't give one red barrell of cat sphincters on their way to the purfume factory what you think of my posts.
No offence Tyler, but I DO care what people think of my posts. I consider that being reasonable and responsible.

Plus I have 763 red barrells of cat sphincters that I simply MUST get rid of as the perfume factory refused the shipment.
Being reasonable and responsible is one thing, putting up with someone trying to tell you you're a time waster because what you post about bores them is another. :wink:
Besides, I don't give my cat sphincters to just anyone; there's a lot of valuable civet in those babies!
I will hand them out for free, though, at the C&F Christmas party :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Alan wrote:
Denny wrote:
I might be ok as long as I JUST hold it!
Jaysus, you guys are making me out to be some kind of nazi.

To everyone, I'm not trying to be exlusive or anything or scare anybody away. I was just voicing my opinion that the forum isn't what it once was and that I wish people wouldn't hit the submit button as much.

Cynth, you say you can only discuss the music so much and then it becomes pointless and you run out things to talk about. I disagree. I have so many questions to ask and discussions I would like to have but there are just so few knowledgeable people on the forums to provide good answers.

And to people who say I should just skip the posts I don't like. I've tried that but there is just SO much to skip past these days that finding the good stuff is extremely difficult. And skipping everything is kinda depressing because you don't have any idea of what's going on and frustrated because what you do read isn't worth reading.

To people who've sent me PM's appologizing. There is no need too. You are entilted to post anything that you wish to as I am. Post away, I just wanted to voice an opinion and get a few people thinking.
No I'm not returning...