Chiffy Prayer Group

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chiffy Prayer Group

Post by Jack »

Would anybody like to start an informal inter-denominational Chiffy Prayer Group, where C&F members could request prayers for themselves or for loved ones, and keep it running sort of like the Weight Loss thread that went on for a long time? Like, a thread where those interested/involved could post prayer requests?

I've been thinking about posting this for a while but I've refrained because I feared some more secular board members' reaction, but I'm posting it now because I would like to request prayers for myself and an issue I'm having.

In the spirit of the thread, my prayer request will come in a reply.
Last edited by Jack on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My request: I'm very very anxious about school, about moving into a dorm with some random guy from North Carolina, and about living with a bunch of random men. It scares me so much and even though I know God is taking care of it in his own way, I still worry about it alot and try to take my mind off it (thus the lots of Internet lately). It is becoming a bigger and bigger deal as the days get closer (I leave on the 25th) and I'm beginning to panick.

I would like to ask that you pray for my peace of mind and that I don't have panic attacks, because this is a major event in my life and I really want it to go as smoothly as possible if possible...

Thank you so much and God bless you...
missy

Post by missy »

Cran - I will add you to my list, praying that all goes smooth for you and that you have as stressfree of a transition as possible.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

A while ago there was a similar request posted to the board. I posted a reply to it, basically stating the opinion this is a messageboard not a prayer society, do that in your own time and space. Dale seemed to agree and whipped the thread off the forum in minutes. Try the praisewhistlers, this is not the place for it: this should be a non religious/ non denominational space.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Missy, thank you very much. :)

Peter, I haven't been here lately so I don't remember it, sorry. Was it when the OT posts were still confined to the whistle board or was it here in the pub (i.e. the Off-topic forum)?

If we can have member-initiated weightloss groups and all these other kinds of things going on in the Pub, I don't see why sharing prayers and requests can't be discussed? There are a million prayers and "good thoughts" sent here every hour of the day, just not in their own thread. Thanks for the nice thoughts though.
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Peter Laban wrote:A while ago there was a similar request posted to the board. I posted a reply to it, basically stating the opinion this is a messageboard not a prayer society, do that in your own time and space. Dale seemed to agree and whipped the thread off the forum in minutes. Try the praisewhistlers, this is not the place for it: this should be a non religious/ non denominational space.
Peter, that's kind of harsh, don't you think? You don't have to read this thread if it's not your bag. It's just one little thread after all, and this is her own time and space as much as it is yours.

I'll be disappointed if the thread gets deleted, personally.

Edit: However, cranberry, http://www.beliefnet.com seems to be a good online community for the spiritually inclined. I'm not saying this in the spirit of "Why don't you go talk about it somewhere else" but in the spirit of "here's a forum where you won't be censored or insulted for talking about your faith".
Last edited by fiddleronvermouth on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think I wasn't here when the issue came up before. It wouldn't bother me if there was a prayer thread. I don't see this as a government sponsored forum or as a public school----places in which I do object to prayer. I could easily skip this thread, just like I skip many others. There already seem to be quite a number of prayer requests in threads, so maybe they could all be combined in one thread. Perhaps there are issues I haven't thought about, but it seems okay to me right now.
missy

Post by missy »

Peter - while the little I know of Cran would probably make this a "religious" thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "Christian" or whatever thread. Asking for prayers could also be asking for good wishes / karma / good vibrations / pleasant thoughts - whatever one feels is appropriate to do when another needs a little encouragement.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've gotten a lot of messages that I offended people. I'm sorry, everybody. I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I just wanted to ask for prayers. I'm sorry.
djm

Post by djm »

I would have to agree with Peter on this (sorry, Peter). I have a concern with people who need to beat their breasts and whine in public. I would not want to see C&F reduced to another Jerry Springer show.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fiddleronvermouth

Another thought - how did it happen that you will be in a dorm with strange men? That seems bizarre. Is there any kind of separation at all?

Maybe in addition to the prayers from your online friends, it might also make you feel better to express your concerns to the school and ask to be moved to an all-female dorm, or at least an all-female room. Be pushy about it, and you'll get your way. (Trust me, I know!)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote:I've gotten a lot of messages that I offended people. I'm sorry, everybody. I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I just wanted to ask for prayers. I'm sorry.
Whoa! Offended? I don't see how people could be offended. As Cynth says, this sin't the first request for prayers on this board. I must've missed the one Peter mentioned too, I guess it came and went quickly.

One of the things I most like about the "Pub" is that we'll accept most people, even non-drinkers and heavy smokers.

I can full sympathise with your fears, Cran, I was once a young lad on his way to college, and had to share a room with a guy I didn't know (and didn't like). The random guys were generally great fun, though. Don't forget they all have the same hopes and fears you do.

Try not to sweat it, Cran. Think of the opportunities this is opening up for you, not the potential pitfalls. Be yourself. We like you, others will too, and you'll make new friends, maybe for life.

I'm not the praying kind, but I'll pop the ringpull on a can of Strongbow and drink to your future successes. Cheers.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:Another thought - how did it happen that you will be in a dorm with strange men? That seems bizarre. Is there any kind of separation at all?

Maybe in addition to the prayers from your online friends, it might also make you feel better to express your concerns to the school and ask to be moved to an all-female dorm, or at least an all-female room. Be pushy about it, and you'll get your way. (Trust me, I know!)
Cran is a Guy :wink:

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

This thread is no different than Dale asking for support when he was going through stressful personal times, or the many requests for support we've seen in times of death or illness among Chiff members. Maybe the word "prayer" freaked people out. C'mon guys, most of us have been in the position of "about to embark on a completely new solo experience". Please be kind.
fiddleronvermouth

dubhlinn wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:Another thought - how did it happen that you will be in a dorm with strange men? That seems bizarre. Is there any kind of separation at all?

Cran is a Guy :wink:

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
LOL! Well, in that case, he'd CERTAINLY feel better in an all-girl dorm!!