emergency contact

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

emergency contact

Post by missy »

got this from our safety department - sounds like a good idea.......

There's a new initiative for something that hopefully none of us will ever need -
an emergency contact that an EMS provider can use on your behalf . . .

Following the London bombing, an English Ambulance Service have launched an international "In Case of Emergency ( ICE ) campaign", as they have discovered that at almost every accident scene there is a working mobile/cell phone on the victim(s).

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile/cell phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance. paramedic, police and/or hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do it now.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 3 etc
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's a good idea. Before cell phones I used to carry a list both in my wallet and in my glove compartment.

I don't really see much need to specifically state "ICE" since the EMT and emergency room people I know just go through the numbers already stored until somebody answers. A lot of people have "Mom" or "Home" instead of names so it helps.

People should always keep that information somewhere in case they are indisposed.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

What about the Rap stars? You know, vanilla Ice, Iceman, and Ice-ieee?

Ok I made up the last two I think...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I had a cell phone. Got stolen with my car. Got so disgusted at the industry's method of selling calling plans that I gave up and no longer have one.

But the ICE seems like a good idea.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

NicoMoreno wrote:What about the Rap stars? You know, vanilla Ice, Iceman, and Ice-ieee?

Actually, the Iceman was blues legend Albert Collins. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
TomB

Post by TomB »

BrassBlower wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:What about the Rap stars? You know, vanilla Ice, Iceman, and Ice-ieee?

Actually, the Iceman was blues legend Albert Collins. :D

Don't forget Italian Ice.

Sorry, Missy, you did post important info.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Lambchop

Re: emergency contact

Post by Lambchop »

missy wrote:got this from our safety department - sounds like a good idea.......

There's a new initiative for something that hopefully none of us will ever need -
an emergency contact that an EMS provider can use on your behalf . . .

Following the London bombing, an English Ambulance Service have launched an international "In Case of Emergency ( ICE ) campaign", as they have discovered that at almost every accident scene there is a working mobile/cell phone on the victim(s).

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile/cell phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance. paramedic, police and/or hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do it now.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 3 etc
Thank you for sharing this! Our safety department sent out something about this today, but we were unable to comprehend what the email was getting at. :roll:

Your post is a lot more clear! Now that we know, it seems a fine idea . . .

The only problem I can see with it is that it may well run afoul of HIPAA privacy rules in the US. Don't be surprised if you hear that EMS and ERs are unable to call anyone using your cell phone until you've signed a written release . . . :P
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The Weekenders wrote:I had a cell phone. Got stolen with my car. Got so disgusted at the industry's method of selling calling plans that I gave up and no longer have one.

But the ICE seems like a good idea.
For those who only want a cell phone for emergency situations, Tracfone has a pay-as-you-go plan for under $100 a year with 150 minutes total. That works out to 12 minutes a month, so it is not for talking--emergencies only. Most subscription plans for the same purpose start around $20 a month or $240 a year, but give a lot more minutes.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

For the suspicious minded, I checked the urban legends archives, and found that,

ICE is a real emergency workers campaign.

ICE is not in response to any particular recent disaster.

ICE numbers are -not- a gateway for viruses. (Well, of course not, why would they be any
more than any other number? But, well, if you get an email saying they are, it's a hoax,
okay?)

--Chris