not only can they take your home, but now..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I presume that Blackwood, ChrisA and everyone who's so shocked at Gonzo's "suggestion" is vegetarian, right? Living, breathing, feeling creatures, and all that? :)
ChrisA wrote:You sir, are a vile and disgusting individual with whom I am ashamed to be sharing this board. ... like the scum that you truly are.
Next time, why not just take a walk before you post personal insults of this sort, and come back when you've calmed down?
/Bloomfield
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I don't think it's the same thing, Bloo - most animals raised and slaughtered for consumption aren't tortured to death.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

missy wrote:so are these laws talking about American Stratfordshire Terriers or just what?
According to the article that launched this thread, they are talking about any dog that -looks like- a pit bull, regardless of temperment.

Regarding gonzo's protestations, you are supporting the slaughter of hundreds of living beings that have not done and never would have done any harm to any one, loving friendly creatures, on the theory that one among hundreds of them might hurt someone some day. I suspect your 'family of trash druggers' would simply get a german shephard, and chain it out in the yard. They used to be the 'guard dog' of choice, after all, and viewed with similar fear. And -any- dog neglected, possibly abused, and left chained in the yard all day will become violently aggressive. Dogs are pack animals and it breaks their sanity to leave them chained out alone (not so much if chained or kenneled out in pairs or more).

The American Staffordshire Terrier, by the by, has an substantially higher than average temperament rating. Meaning that, barring abuse to -make- them aggressive, they are more friendly than the average dog, and less likely to harm anyone.

And no, it is not hypocritical to oppose the destruction of innocent animals in order to prevent the possible harm to human being. I don't support the imprisonment of abused children because they're more likely to become abusers either.

And no, it is not the same as dangerous animal ordinances preventing the keeping of wild animals. Wildcats are -wild-. They can be left in the wild, or if bred in captivity, they can be given to a zoo or reintroced to their natural habitat. These kinds of ordinances both protect animals from being taken out of their natural habitats and protect the community. (Although in many areas, there aren't actually any ordinances - there are many places where you -can- keep a tiger as a pet if you wish to. Generally not in the city, though.) There is no 'natural habitat' other than human homes for domestic dogs. And 30 days is notice is not 'plenty of time' to relocate one's family or relocate any dog that is considered a 'pit bull' type.
TomB

Post by TomB »

susnfx wrote:I don't think it's the same thing, Bloo - most animals raised and slaughtered for consumption aren't tortured to death.

While I tend to agree with Susan, I'm asking everyone, PLEASE do not post examples for us of how animals are led to slaughter, etc. This is not what this thread was supposed to be about.

The original topic was someone expressing their displeasure over a law concerning one breed of dog.

We don't need anymore of what has been going on here, and we don't need anyone to enlighten us about the meat packing industry.

Thanks, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

TomB wrote:We don't need anymore of what has been going on here, and we don't need anyone to enlighten us about the meat packing industry.

Thanks, Tom
Okay, okay. ;) You knew where I was going go go. (And yes modern industrial meat production is very close to torturing the animals to death.)
/Bloomfield
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I highly doubt that this law will bring a long term reprieve from deadly dog attacks. Once the "pit bull" type breeds are done away with, the people that owned those dogs for the reason that they have a mean reputation will simply switch to another breed, German Sheppherds or Rottweilers for example, neither of which deserve their mean reputations either.
Once those owners replace their dogs, we can apply what I will refer as Holmes' Theory of Canine Behavior...
"A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones,...their passing moods may reflect the passing moods of others." (Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Creeping Man)

Which breed will they want to exterminate next, in say fifteen or twenty years?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:
TomB wrote:We don't need anymore of what has been going on here, and we don't need anyone to enlighten us about the meat packing industry.

Thanks, Tom
Okay, okay. ;) You knew where I was going go go. (And yes modern industrial meat production is very close to torturing the animals to death.)

Thanks Bloom. Yeah, I figured you might go there.

All the Best, Tom
Paul

Post by Paul »

Chris A, until you walk in Gonzo's shoes you really can't judge him. Besides he said he didn't do it. If I had a dog living next door to me like that - terrorizing my family - and the authorities wouldn't do anything about the situation you can bet that dog would meet its end, buddy. Not with sponges, mind you. :roll: These ordinances are getting passed because people are sick of living in fear of these dogs. Do you live in a city that has a lot of these animals? I do. Like I said in my last post we're sick of 'em. Yeah,yeah they are living beings but you know what? We're sick of hearing on one hand what nice family pets they are and then on the next about somebody being eaten by one. Eaten by a dog! Sorry, dude. They have no sympathy from me.

Best,
Paul
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Paul wrote:Chris A, until you walk in Gonzo's shoes you really can't judge him. Besides he said he didn't do it. If I had a dog living next door to me like that - terrorizing my family - and the authorities wouldn't do anything about the situation you can bet that dog would meet its end, buddy. Not with sponges, mind you. :roll: These ordinances are getting passed because people are sick of living in fear of these dogs. Do you live in a city that has a lot of these animals? I do. Like I said in my last post we're sick of 'em. Yeah,yeah they are living beings but you know what? We're sick of hearing on one hand what nice family pets they are and then on the next about somebody being eaten by one. Eaten by a dog! Sorry, dude. They have no sympathy from me.

Best,
Paul
Can we make the law similarly applicable to humans then?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Bloomfield wrote:I presume that Blackwood, ChrisA and everyone who's so shocked at Gonzo's "suggestion" is vegetarian, right? Living, breathing, feeling creatures, and all that? :)
ChrisA wrote:You sir, are a vile and disgusting individual with whom I am ashamed to be sharing this board. ... like the scum that you truly are.
Next time, why not just take a walk before you post personal insults of this sort, and come back when you've calmed down?
Yes, I am a vegetarian.

And I did calm down and rewrite my post. You would not like to see the original draft, I'm sure.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Paul wrote:Chris A, until you walk in Gonzo's shoes you really can't judge him. Besides he said he didn't do it. If I had a dog living next door to me like that - terrorizing my family - and the authorities wouldn't do anything about the situation you can bet that dog would meet its end, buddy. Not with sponges, mind you. :roll: These ordinances are getting passed because people are sick of living in fear of these dogs. Do you live in a city that has a lot of these animals? I do. Like I said in my last post we're sick of 'em. Yeah,yeah they are living beings but you know what? We're sick of hearing on one hand what nice family pets they are and then on the next about somebody being eaten by one. Eaten by a dog! Sorry, dude. They have no sympathy from me.

Best,
Paul

Tyler- I think it's already illegal to eat humans. :D

Tom
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

ChrisA wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I presume that Blackwood, ChrisA and everyone who's so shocked at Gonzo's "suggestion" is vegetarian, right? Living, breathing, feeling creatures, and all that? :)
Yes, I am a vegetarian.

And I did calm down and rewrite my post. You would not like to see the original draft, I'm sure.
But resorting to name calling is inappropriate
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Can we make the law similarly applicable to humans then?[/quote]

No. Human beings are different than dogs.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Paul wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:

No. Human beings are different than dogs.
Human beings kill humans more frequently than all breeds of dogs combined....
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
missy

Post by missy »

Tyler wrote:
"A dog reflects the family life........."

Now - WAIT a minute! I make jokes about Wyley and Buster sharing one brain cell between them! Are you saying I have one brain cell???? :D

Seriously - again - I'm all for vicious dog bans. I am totally against specific breed bans - it just causes a false sense of wellbeing.
But the main thing is ENFORCE the laws that are already on the books (and this goes for everything, not just dogs). If that means building more jails, then DO so. Stop passing "feel good" legislature that has absolutely no impact on the day to day nature of crime. When judges have to make a "choice" on who goes to jail - not based on their crime and the punishment dictated by law, but on the numbers of beds left in the county jail - there is something WRONG.

And Bloomie - I love my dogs - but they ARE dogs. I had one come down with cancer, I did NOT choose to do chemo. I've also grown up with and been around responsible hunters, etc. Heck - I seriously wanted to be a vet at one time. One can "love" animals and still not be a vegetarian.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com