not only can they take your home, but now..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

missy wrote:Blackwood - I'm with you......

Cincinnati has (after having some really stupid restriction laws) passed a total ban on pit bulls. Guess what type of dog just bit one of our Citizens on Patrol members? A german shepard. So - are they next? And after that? Rotties, boxers, dobes - when will it stop? IT'S NOT THE DOG - IT'S THE OWNER OF THE DOG!
It's illegal to shoot and kill another person - so far we've had 56 murders this year. It's illegal to make or sell meth - I can't keep count of the numbers of arrests.
If you want to stop crimes and death - strictly enforce the laws that are already there. Have a "vicious" dog ordinance - I'm all for that. Just not a breed specific one.

Here! Here! Well said, Missy.

I don't blame anyone for protecting their familly, but a general ban on a specific breed doesn't do it. There is a dog living next door to me that tries to jump our fence when he sees anyone in my yard. I'm sure he would try to bite if he made it over. He has not made it over and I doubt if he will, but if he does when I am out there, I have a baseball bat just waiting to introduce to him. I wouldn't be happy about doing it, but if my neighbor can't / won't control him and the law can't do anything, than I'll just have to be on the lookout. Oh, he is not a Pit Bull. I think he's a Heinz, but no matter what type he is, I'm not looking to have his breed eradicated.- The owner, maybe. :wink:

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

TomB wrote: I'm sure he would try to bite if he made it over. He has not made it over and I doubt if he will, but if he does when I am out there, I have a baseball bat just waiting to introduce to him. I wouldn't be happy about doing it, but if my neighbor can't / won't control him and the law can't do anything, than I'll just have to be on the lookout.
Trouble with the neighbor's dog? Take a big old sponge and cut it into nice big chunks, then soak it in beef or chicken broth. Squeeze it down until it's small, and wrap rubber bands tightly around it around it and let it sit until it dries hard. Then take the rubber bands off and chuck the dry sponge hunks over the fence. You probably don't want to let your neighbor catch you doing this. Repeat until the desired intestinal blockage is attained.

Gruesome and painful? Of course, but nowhere near as gruesome and painful as a dog mauling.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

gonzo914 wrote:Trouble with the neighbor's dog? Take a big old sponge and cut it into nice big chunks, then soak it in beef or chicken broth. Squeeze it down until it's small, and wrap rubber bands tightly around it around it and let it sit until it dries hard. Then take the rubber bands off and chuck the dry sponge hunks over the fence. You probably don't want to let your neighbor catch you doing this. Repeat until the desired intestinal blockage is attained.

Gruesome and painful? Of course, but nowhere near as gruesome and painful as a dog mauling.
:evil: :moreevil:

If you're going to kill your neighbor's dog, at least have the guts to do it in a quicker and less painful fashion. What you're advocating is animal cruelty and abuse, plain and simple.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

gonzo914 wrote: Trouble with the neighbor's dog? Take a big old sponge and cut it into nice big chunks, then soak it in beef or chicken broth. Squeeze it down until it's small, and wrap rubber bands tightly around it around it and let it sit until it dries hard. Then take the rubber bands off and chuck the dry sponge hunks over the fence. You probably don't want to let your neighbor catch you doing this. Repeat until the desired intestinal blockage is attained.

Ya, come to Denver and do that... then we'll also enforce another law we have here that punishes you as a felon for animal cruelty... hard to believe that anyone would plan to do this to an animal.

:really: :roll:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Not the way to win friends, I'll tell ya.....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Scott McCallister wrote:... hard to believe that anyone would plan to do this to an animal.
Anyone who's not a psychopath, anyway. :evil:

(Sorry, gonzo's post just really steamed me. I think it's time for a break.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
TomB

Post by TomB »

gonzo914 wrote:
TomB wrote: I'm sure he would try to bite if he made it over. He has not made it over and I doubt if he will, but if he does when I am out there, I have a baseball bat just waiting to introduce to him. I wouldn't be happy about doing it, but if my neighbor can't / won't control him and the law can't do anything, than I'll just have to be on the lookout.
Trouble with the neighbor's dog? Take a big old sponge and cut it into nice big chunks, then soak it in beef or chicken broth. Squeeze it down until it's small, and wrap rubber bands tightly around it around it and let it sit until it dries hard. Then take the rubber bands off and chuck the dry sponge hunks over the fence. You probably don't want to let your neighbor catch you doing this. Repeat until the desired intestinal blockage is attained.

Not my style. I actually like animals and no matter what, wouldn't go such a cruel route.

Thanks anyway.

Tom

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

gonzo914 wrote:As for the dog next door, it just died one day.
gonzo914 wrote: Trouble with the neighbor's dog? Take a big old sponge and cut it into nice big chunks, then soak it in beef or chicken broth. Squeeze it down until it's small, and wrap rubber bands tightly around it around it and let it sit until it dries hard. Then take the rubber bands off and chuck the dry sponge hunks over the fence. You probably don't want to let your neighbor catch you doing this. Repeat until the desired intestinal blockage is attained.

You sir, are a vile and disgusting individual with whom I am ashamed to be sharing this board. What you are advocating is an inhumane act of animal cruelty. You seem to completely fail to apprehend that you are advocating the torture and killing of living, breathing, feeling creatures, not inanimate objects that can be disposed of without any care or thought for their feelings.

If what is implied by your words actually occured, then I do hope that you are found out and prosecuted like the scum that you truly are.

Sincerely,
--Chris
TomB

Post by TomB »

Man, now I'm sorry I ever mentioned having any sort of issue with the neighbor's dog. I wasn't really looking for suggestions on how to deal with it, just trying to make my point that I am not on the side of eliminating entire breeds of dogs, or any animals, for that matter.

Unfortunately, my post seems to have taken the thread in a direction that I had not intended.

All the Best, Tom
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

wow, i suspected gonzo was a bit extreme comparing dogs to bazookas, but boy talk about showing your true colors...
the very sad and disturbing part is that i suspect the post was not meant as a joke, as it is very detailed in methodology description, i sure i hope i'm wrong..

Tom, i think everybody understood your original point, don't worry you didn't take this thread in the wrong direction..
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

What a lot of smug, self-righteous hypocrits, for does it not strike you as more than a tad hypocritical to be so aghast about treating a dog as described above while at the same time opposing legislation that would prevent something even ghastlier from happening to human being ? Does this not in some small way suggest to you that your priorities need to be given at least a cursory re-examination?

Did I do something like that? Of course not; it's just plain wrong. But the fact that I even considered it underscores the degree of frustration I had with the authorities inability or unwillingness to deal with a situation that was a very real threat to my family. We had a trash family of druggers living next door, and they had a pit bull to protect their inventory. They kept it chained in the back year, but it regularly broke the chain and hit the fence whenever we were in the yard. Several times my wife was forced to run for the safety of our own, more substantial fence. It took two of us to mow the lawn -- one to mow and one outrider to watch for the dog. My kids were unable to play in their own front yard because of this dog. We couldn't even walk around the block for fear of it it breaking its chain and jumping the fence when we walked past its yard.

This dog was affecting the entire neighborhood this way, and an entire neighborhood of kids played inside for a year. But when animal control was called, people were told that until the dog attacked some one, and by their interpretation, "attacked" meant actually bit someone, they could do nothing. In other words, someone had to get hurt before the authorities could take action, and since this wasn't some little ankle-biter terrier, when someone finally did get hurt, they were going to get hurt badly. The city had a "vicious dog" ordinance, but unfortunately, the dogs had more teeth that it did.

Breed-specific legislation would have prevented an entire neighborhood living in fear of a single animal for a year. Breed-specific legislation universally enforced would probably cut the number of dog-bite fatalities in this country in half. And I don't think breed-specific legislation is unreasonably restrictive of people's individual rights because it does not outlaw dog ownership; it merely places limits on the kinds of dogs one can own.

Do you want to know how we ended up handling this particular dog? This house was a rental house, so we identified the property owner, an absentee landlord in California, and then we went and got the biggest shyster of a plaintiff's attorney in town and had him contact the property owner. The attorney sent the landlord a list of incidents involving the dog (not just our family's but others as well) and informed him that should anyone be injured as a result of this dog's actions, he (the property owner) could count on being a party to any resulting legislation. Subsequently, the tenants were told to get rid of the dog, and they, figuring that all they had to do was get the dog out of sight, relegated him to the garage. An un-airconditioned garage in Kansas in August, and we found out later he baked to death when his owners left him unattended for the weekend. Unfortunate, but no tears were shed in the neighborhood. (And the tenants lease was not renewed.)

I would wager that none of you have been in this situation, except maybe TomB, and I'll bet his neighbor's dog isn't a pit bull. Until you have, please spare me the self-righteous, dog-lover's rhetoric. Yes, a dog is a "living, breathing, feeling creature," but so are my kids, and their well-being has to take precedence. Would I have actually taken the steps described above had the all legal options been fruitless? I'd like to think not, but when one's family is at stake, one's reactions can be visceral.

And for Blackwood --
Blackwood wrote: . . . wow, i suspected gonzo was a bit extreme comparing dogs to bazookas . . .
That's called hyperbole. You'll learn about it when you get to high school.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
missy

Post by missy »

gonzo wrote:
"I would wager that none of you have been in this situation,"

My response, you wagered wrong.
I've been in the same situation with "pit bulls" (and you DO realize that the AKC doesn't have such a classification - so are these laws talking about American Stratfordshire Terriers or just what?). I've also been in this situation with German Shepards, Rottweilers, and mutts. I've been attacked by a boxer (and I currently own two of them). I've "worked" the SPCA and laws to try and cope with dogs that are obvious hazards to the neighborhood. I've gone so far as to remove tags from a "loose" dog and taken it down to the SPCA saying I had no idea who the owner was. (I know how to properly use a control noose on a dog).

And - as I said - Cincinnati currently has a ban on "pit bulls" (again, what just IS a pit bull?). And, on our walk for Citizens on Patrol Wed night, I counted (and later reported) 5 in a 3 block area. They'll get confiscated, and the owner fined, and they'll just go out and get another.

There is NO way I would cause any animal to suffer because of it's owners stupidity. The owner has the option of raising a vicious dog. The dog can only act as he's been trained to act.

So - I am all for vicious dog ordanances. I am TOTALLY against breed specific laws. They do NOTHING. Other than destroy good dogs along with the bad.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I agree, Missy. My brother-in-law's pup is half Strat Terrier and half yellow Lab. Under the law, as I understand it, his dog would be put to sleep. Maverick (his pup) is the sweetest dog in the whole world. He loves everyone he meets, because my brother-in-law is a very loving guy. The dogs behavior reflects his owners temperment.
A.C. Doyle wrote, "A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones,...their passing moods may reflect the passing moods of others." (Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Creeping Man)
Reflect apon this....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Some months ago I found in my mailbox (as did everyone on my street) a handwritten notice threatening the same "cure" for free-roaming dogs that Gonzo suggests. However, this person threatened to leave the sponge pieces around their yard--where they could be picked by not only dogs but cats, birds, toddlers, anything at all. At the time I had two dogs who were walked on leashes daily and always cleaned up after. When walking them I can keep them out of yards for the most part but not off the fringes of lawns or parking strips. My dogs were not the perpetrators of the lawn desecration for which death was threatened, but would have suffered horrible deaths if they had picked up one of these little tidbits.

I called the police and county animal control and was told that if I could find out who wrote the note they would be investigated. We never did find out but I have my suspicions and keep a close watch on that person.

This is the act of a truly sick individual. Anybody who would even think of such a thing is sick.

Susan
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hmm... Unfortunately, every year - more than once - while I'm driving to or from work I hear about a kid or an adult that's been either mauled or killed by a pit bull terrier. Although there are strong and valid sounding arguements on the other side I'm sure anyone whose child or loved one was shredded or killed by one of these "land sharks" might quickly change their mind. I've heard too many accounts of this happening here over the years. I am sick and tired of hearing about human beings being eaten alive by these dogs. It's always pit bulls too. I hate these dogs as a whole and I don't have a problem with such ordinances.

Best,
Paul

edit: And I'm not condoning "sponging" your neighbor's dog BTW. I'm talking about the Denver Govt. situation. They are trying to get one passed here too.

Best
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.