Listen to this...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Listen to this...

Post by dubhlinn »

I was looking for a sound clip of the great Les Paul,a formidable player,and I stumbled onto this page.

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc86/

Any fans of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan will love the track by Midival Punditz and the playing of 88 year old Hank Jones on Sophisticated Lady is heavenly.There is also a lightning vast version of Sweet Georgia Brown by a young lad called Eldar Djangirov but to my ears it is all technique and lacks Soul. This kid could do with listening to Hank Jones for a few months. There is also a wonderful track from the tragically underated John Hiatt. Ten tracks in all on the page, Enjoy.

*ahem* Real Player required

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Listen to this...

Post by Craig Stuntz »

dubhlinn wrote: *ahem* Real Player required
Thankfully, this is not the case. Make sure you have cookies enabled. Then go to <a href="http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/morehelp.html">this link</a> and choose Windows Media Player instead.

Good show; thanks for posting.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Can't really listen at home but mention of Hank Jones reminded me of that wonderful CD of spirituals he made with Charlie Haden just a few years back. I forget the name of it but I bet others here know what I'm talking about.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Fine stuff. No real player needed either.

I'm expecting Talasgia to tell us we can't listen to Midival Punditz because we don't understand non-western music.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:Fine stuff. No real player needed either.

I'm expecting Talasgia to tell us we can't listen to Midival Punditz because we don't understand non-western music.
:lol:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've got some real player clone at home..it plays the files, without the adware, spyware, and instability of the actual Real Player. If I can remember where I got it from, I'll post the link here.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Wanderer wrote:I've got some real player clone at home..it plays the files, without the adware, spyware, and instability of the actual Real Player. If I can remember where I got it from, I'll post the link here.
Probably <a href="http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm">Real Alternative</a>

Edit: Linked newer version.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

That looks like the one
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Here's the CD I was mentioning earlier. Does anybody else know it? I have a copy but not within easy reach when I posted. It's the most beautiful collection of spirituals I've ever heard.

kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Wombat wrote:Can't really listen at home but mention of Hank Jones reminded me of that wonderful CD of spirituals he made with Charlie Haden just a few years back. I forget the name of it but I bet others here know what I'm talking about.
the album is titled 'Steal away',and it's a beauty.
Haden is one of my favourite musicians,and this stuff really suits his slow,measured style,where his bass just 'booms'-he really has a fantastically rich and sonorous sound.
Hank Jones is an ideal musical partner to him.
I can never listen of this album without being reminded of the Spiritual playing of Albert Ayler-I have an old vinyl album of his (is it called 'Swing low sweet chariot'?) where all of the material is old spiritual tunes,with Call Cobbs on Piano (plus Henry Grimes and Sunny Murray?,I can't recall).
As a bonus,Spirituals are easy to play and improvise on,on the Whistle!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Craig Stuntz wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I've got some real player clone at home..it plays the files, without the adware, spyware, and instability of the actual Real Player. If I can remember where I got it from, I'll post the link here.
Probably <a href="http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm">Real Alternative</a>

Edit: Linked newer version.
Craig, the <a href=... tags don't work. You can try brackets instead
like "[" url=http://www.your_url "]" Something "[" /url "]" (I used quotation marks to keep it from translating. i.e. Real Alternative
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Flyingcursor wrote: Craig, the <a href=... tags don't work. You can try brackets instead
like "[" url=http://www.your_url "]" Something "[" /url "]" (I used quotation marks to keep it from translating. i.e. Real Alternative
They work for me...his link shows up just fine. Tgey don't work only if you turn off "allow html" in your profile.