Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

I never know how to react to these stories. Mostly they seem to originate with small Chrstian groups. I don't believe them and my first impulse is usually humor. Then I remind myself that the people presenting them are usually sincere and harmless. I realize Jim Jones and some others are exceptions. In any event the link to the full story is at the end.

JPost.com » Middle East » Article
Mar. 29, 2005 3:22 | Updated Mar. 29, 2005 6:54
By KHALED ABU TOAMEH
A thorough analysis of the Koran reveals that the US will cease to exist in the year 2007, according to research published by Palestinian scholar Ziad Silwadi.

The study, which has caught the attention of millions of Muslims worldwide, is based on in-depth interpretations of various verses in the Koran. It predicts that the US will be hit by a tsunami larger than that which recently struck southeast Asia.

"The tsunami waves are a minor rehearsal in comparison with what awaits the US in 2007," the researcher concluded in his study. "The Holy Koran warns against the Omnipotent Allah's force. A great sin will cause a huge flood in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans."

Silwadi, who is from the village of Silwad near Ramallah – the home of Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal – is not a world-renowned scholar. He said he decided to publish the findings of his research "out of a sense of responsibility because what is about to happen is extremely shocking and frightening."

His fear, he said, is that the world economy, which relies heavily on the US dollar, would be deeply affected by the collapse of the US.

"It would be fair to say that the world would be better off with a US that is not a superpower and that does not take advantage of weak nations than a world where this country does not exist at all," he added."The world will certainly lose a lot if and when this disaster occurs because of the great services that American society has rendered to the economy, industry and science."

Silwadi said his study of the Koran showed that the US would perish mainly because of its great sins against mankind, including the Native Americans and blacks.

"As soon as the Europeans started arriving in the new world discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492, they declared a war on the so-called Red Indians, the legitimate owners of the land," he wrote. "Then they began enslaving and humiliating Africans after kidnapping them from their countries and bringing them to America. Millions of blacks were brought to the US and treated with unprecedented harshness. Those who became ill during the journey were thrown overboard to feed the fish."

Silwadi pointed out that the US continued to commit war crimes and "ethnic cleansing" against humanity by becoming the first country to use nuclear weapons during World War II.

"International law penalizes such crimes," he said. "If these laws were not applied then, they are certainly implemented in heaven. If no one on earth is capable of punishing [the US], Allah was and remains able to do so. All these actions have been documented by Allah in a big archive called the Koran."

Silwadi said he reached the conclusion that several suras (chapters) in the Koran that talk about punishment for those who perpetrate heinous sins actually refer to the US.

As an example, he quotes in his study verse 40 of the Spider Sura, which states: "So each We [God] punished for his sin; of them was he on whom We sent down a violent storm, and of them was he whom the rumbling overtook, and of them was he whom We made to be swallowed up by the earth, and of them he whom We drowned; and it did not beseem Allah that He should be unjust to them, but they were unjust to their own souls."

Drawing parallels between Pharaoh and the US, who share the same "sin" of arrogance and excessive pride, Silwadi noted that the Koran mentions at least 12 times the fact that Pharaoh was punished by drowning for his evil deeds.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 1980180248
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

And nobody in the middle east has EVER owned slaves or killed off other ethnic/cultural groups!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I predict that unless Palestinian scholar Ziad Silwadi starts wearing his tinfoil hat again he will have other amazing "revelations." :lol:
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Sure ye can juggle numbers around all day and who knows what ye'll come up with.

"In which he proves by algebra that Hamlet's grandson is Shakespeare's grandfather and that he himself is the ghost of his own father..."

from "Ulysses"
James Joyce.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The people that come up with these ideas seem to put such a huge amount of work into them. It seems rather sad. But it is a bit humorous too. How can anyone think that he is the one who has finally found the truth when so many others have tried and failed? As long as the person is just making a prediction---which we know will not be accurate, they never are----and not a threat, then I just sort of shake my head I guess. I actually don't even read these stories anymore because they are all the same, just different people and sources of inspiration.
missy

Post by missy »

well - I'm at the highest point in Hamilton County, OH (except for the dump), so water wise, I should be ok.
And if this happens in 2007, then I don't have to worry about Congress and Social Security!!! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007

Post by BrassBlower »

"So each We [God] punished for his sin; of them was he on whom We sent down a violent storm, and of them was he whom the rumbling overtook, and of them was he whom We made to be swallowed up by the earth, and of them he whom We drowned; and it did not beseem Allah that He should be unjust to them, but they were unjust to their own souls."

To:

"US will cease to exist in 2007"

In the immortal words of Bill Engvall, "Evel Knievel couldn't have made that jump!"
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

missy wrote:well - I'm at the highest point in Hamilton County, OH (except for the dump), so water wise, I should be ok.
And if this happens in 2007, then I don't have to worry about Congress and Social Security!!! :D

Missy
We're about 15 feet above sea level so maybe we should leave the kayacks out year round. I did watch a couple of PBS shows on Tsunamis and Krakatoa this week. Probably the only thing that could cause simultaneous, catastrophic floods on the east and west coasts would be a commet scoring a direct hit on the Eurasian continent. OOOOPS!! Has anybody told the Department of Homeland Security about all this??
emmline

Post by emmline »

BrassBlower wrote: it did not beseem Allah that He should be unjust to them
Still, true or not, I rather like the word "beseem."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Missy wrote:so water wise, I should be ok.
NO NO NO. If the water rises you run to the dump. Always head for the absolutely highest ground!!!!!
glauber

Post by glauber »

2007? I'm surprised it's going to last that long, considering who's calling the shots here.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Danner

Post by Danner »

Until I started reading, I thought that Koran was a misspelling of Korean. I'm more used to seeing Koran spelled Quran. It is much more entertaining when you read Korean instead of Koran. :P (It's really bad when just about everyone in the world hates the U.S. for one reason or another.)
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

When I substituted Korean for Koran then I started thinking that the man had been studying Rev. Moon. It is all so confusing.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

emmline wrote:
BrassBlower wrote: it did not beseem Allah that He should be unjust to them
Still, true or not, I rather like the word "beseem."
I do too but I don't think I'll have many beseeming opportunities to use it in every day conversation.

be·seem ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-sm)
tr.v. Archaic be·seemed, be·seem·ing, be·seems
To be appropriate for; befit.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

According to the classic Mayans, the world will end on December 23, 2012 (I'm assuming that this accounts for changes to the calendar since their time).

There are plenty of folks in Alaska who would be just as happy without the link to the rest of the lower 48. :wink:

Guess I'll just go back to figuring out one day at a time, beseemingly, and not worry about the end of time.

Jennie