Computer Virus

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Computer Virus

Post by Goldie »

:swear: :x :cry: :devil:

I stupidly opened an email with a christmas card attached. You guess right Virus Alert. Please do not open any emails coming from our accounts sent from about 20.25 h this evening. We are on it, cleaning the damn thing....

Brigitte
Brigitte
antispam: No

Re: OT: Computer Virus

Post by Brigitte »

Goldie wrote::swear: :x :cry: :devil:

I stupidly opened an email with a christmas card attached. You guess right Virus Alert. Please do not open any emails coming from our accounts sent from about 20.25 h this evening. We are on it, cleaning the damn thing....

Brigitte

SORTED :party:
But still I do not know if any have gone out from here cannot find a trace though.
Information you can find on
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .d@mm.html

Brigitte[/url]
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
JoeKrepps

Post by JoeKrepps »

Gotta' get yourself a Mac'! :D
Good luck getting rid of it. There will be more to come.

Joe <-other than the Quicktime worm of '98, always been virus free
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

You have my complete sympathy, Brigitte. My nephew ended up with a virus (unknown) last week that wiped out or blocked .... basically everything on his computer. We did manage to format the hard drive and get the computer working again. Why in the world do people enjoy designing and deploying these viruses? :moreevil:

Hope you get everything back to normal.

~Judy
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

JoeKrepps wrote:Gotta' get yourself a Mac'! :D

I was thinking of a Mac or Linux when it was the time to get a new one but for the Mac the price difference was quite a bit and being used to Office and other tools for more than 15 years I was not sure if I will be able to be my own trouble shooter on a Mac or a Linux system.

It was the second time ever with a virus coming through fully in all these years, I should have known better when it came in but ...

The problem was easily solved by following the Symantec info and deleting it out in safe mode.

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Brigitte wrote: I was thinking of a Mac or Linux when it was the time to get a new one but for the Mac the price difference was quite a bit and being used to Office and other tools for more than 15 years I was not sure if I will be able to be my own trouble shooter on a Mac or a Linux system.
Hi Brigitte!
You should give Xandros Linux a go, besides Knoppix it is the easiest distribution to get started on. Also includes Crossover office that enables you to directly install and run windows applications such as Micorsoft office, Photoshop, Lotus, Macromedia products ... in Linux. Quite usefull and very simple, no need to reboot or start up a virtual machine just run them when you need to.

/MarcusR
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Brigitte wrote:
JoeKrepps wrote:Gotta' get yourself a Mac'! :D

I was thinking of a Mac or Linux when it was the time to get a new one but for the Mac the price difference was quite a bit and being used to Office and other tools for more than 15 years I was not sure if I will be able to be my own trouble shooter on a Mac or a Linux system.

It was the second time ever with a virus coming through fully in all these years, I should have known better when it came in but ...

The problem was easily solved by following the Symantec info and deleting it out in safe mode.

Brigitte

You can get MAC compatable Office products. They run like poop because they are just Ported from PC to mac, but they are out there... Although I am a PC user and I like being able to choose who writes the programs I install though...
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Thanks for all the suggestions on the computers. Hopefully this one will do for another 5 years, just simple office work I do on it, the "most complicated thing" is photoshop and the website maintaining. When the next one is due I think I feel more secure in my trouble shooting abilities, I never thought before I could solve things I have solved since I have this one... in the old times my ex-collegues where my trouble shooters, fortunately. Next one we will look into Mac I think, have seen one close up when running this year and thought it does not look too different from what I am used to. And they are save when it come to nasty bugs and things.

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Brigitte,

You two have the worst luck with computers, I swear. Best to give the damn things up completely at this point :wink:

Happy Holidays,

L