"Fahrenheit 9/11" WINS Cannes' Palme d'Or

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Fahrenheit 9/11" WINS Cannes' Palme d'Or

Post by Zubivka »

Interestingly, the president of the 2004 Jury was not Jean-Luc Godard or some other European crypto-communist, but... Quentin Tarantino.
I'm not sure, but Michael Moore may be the first ever to have won the prize with a non-fiction movie.

ImageMore?
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazin ... 12,00.html

Of course there's also the author's site http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index ... 2004-04-21
Last edited by Zubivka on Sun May 23, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

That a definate MUST SEE film,for me.
I rated 'bowling for Columbine' so highly that I went out and bought it.
My late father was a BIG Mike Moore fan,and he really enjoyed that film and several of Mike's books that he borrowed from me.
I had to laugh when my bro. in law saw my Dad reading a Moore book,and accused Pa of being a COMMUNIST! :lol:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Even the ultra-libs at the NY Times pointed out that the movie is that of a polemicist, not a historian or documentarian. Give me a break. He is just serving up more anti-Americanism to the hungry Euro hordes, who can't see Uncle Sam whipped hard enough. I wonder if there is anybody left in Cannes who wanted a good European movie to win. I bet there were plenty of other contenders because of the great filmmaking traditions there.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

It's pushing it to call anything by Michael Moore "nonfiction."

I'm so glad to know that Tarantino can be swept up in the current anti-Americanism so popular in Europe. I work with a bunch of Europeans, and the prevailing themes seem to be that 1, Americans are bombarded with so much propaganda that they have no idea what's going on in the world; 2, Europeans seem to have a clear line on the truth and are not subject to bias since their information is all from wholly unbiased sources.

Makes me not want to waste the money on Kill Bill Vol. 2.

(Nice going, Zoob, this is SURELY one of those wonderful loving threads full of pats on the back and virtual hugs.) (Oooh, and wait until Andrew sees it! Then we'll get some really useful information about the US and Bush.)

Stuart
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Stuart,

Most canadians, and many of them in Toronto, also dislike Bush, this is not only a European thing. Actually, the whole world, beside the states and Tony Blair, share the same feelings about Bush and americans.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I can hardly wait to see this movie...
sturob

Post by sturob »

You know, Azalin, that's not exactly true. I've been here 11 months and haven't seen a lot of anti-Americanism. In fact, I've met more Canadians who like Bush than I know Americans who like Bush.

For the record, I'm not a Bush fan. But you've got to separate Bush from Americans at large. We don't all support him. If we painted the world with this brush, then we'd hate the Brits because we don't like Blair.

So why do most Canadians "share the same feelings" about Bush and Americans? Are you all that stupid? It doesn't seem like it to me. The Canadians that I know tend to say things like, "Your country has done _____, or your President is a moron because ______." They don't act like they dislike us as a people . . . but perhaps you do?

If you take this as a personal attack, understand that you've just said most Canadians that the whole world dislike Bush and Americans. I have absolutely no problem with their dislike or even hatred of Bush, but why Americans? I take offense at that, and I don't even think it's true. Is that really what you're saying?

Stuart
Denny

Post by Denny »

Perhaps it would be good to remember that all of the citizens of a country may not be thoroughly enchanted with the actions of the county?

It might also be noted that, earlier in America's history, disagreement with the actions of if the country was not considered un-American!

Denny
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Thanking the jury headed by cult director Quentin Tarantino, Moore said: "You will ensure that the American people will see this movie."

Like there was ever any doubt his movie was going to be distributed in the US. Poor downtrodden Michael Moore. Give me a break.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

The Weekenders wrote:He is just serving up more anti-Americanism to the hungry Euro hordes, who can't see Uncle Sam whipped hard enough.
Here's who fed "anti-Americanism", i.e. the jury:
  • • Quentin Tarantino, President (USA)
    • Emmanuelle Béart (actress, FR)
    • Edwidge Danticat (writer, USA)
    • Tilda Swinton (actress, UK)
    • Kathleen Turner (actress, USA)
    • Benoît Poelvoorde (actor, screenwriter, Belgium)
    • Jerry Schatzberg (moviemaker, USA)
    • Tsui Hark (moviemaker, H-K China)
    • Peter Von Bagh (movie critic, Finland)
This makes four Americans including the President, one from UK, three from Euroland, and one from Asia. Ok you may resent he was born in Vietnam...

As for the European movies, right: Cannes never favored Europe (or France for that matter) any more than USA or USSR.
This year:
  • • Grand Prix du Jury: "Old Boy" by Park Chan-wook (S. Korea)
    • sharing the Prize of the Jury: "Tropical Malady" by Apichatbong Weerasethakul (Thailand) and "Ladykillers" by the Cohen bros. (USA)
    • Mise en Scène prize to "Exiles" by Tony Gatlif (gypsy, France)
    • Best film script to "Comme une Image" by Agnès Jaoui and Jean-Pierre Bacri (France)
    • Best actor--Yagira Yuuya (Japan)
    • Best actress--Maggie Cheung (H-K, China)
    • Caméra d'Or (best first movie) to "Mon Trésor" by Keren Yedaya (Israël)
    • Palme d'Or (Grand prize) of short movies to "Trafic" by Catalin Mitulescu (Romania)
    • Jury Prize of the short movies to "Flatlife" by Jonas Geirnaert (Belgium).
A World-Wide Wild bunch it may be, but I don't see your Hungry Heuros Horde :roll:
Last edited by Zubivka on Sun May 23, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

The Weekenders wrote: ... the hungry Euro hordes ...
I like that expression, Weeks. It sounds so scary. :lol:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Zubivka wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:He is just serving up more anti-Americanism to the hungry Euro hordes, who can't see Uncle Sam whipped hard enough.
Here's who fed "anti-Americanism", i.e. the jury:
  • • Quentin Tarantino, President (USA)
    • Emmanuelle Béart (actress, FR)
    • Edwidge Danticat (writer, USA)
    • Tilda Swinton (actress, UK)
    • Kathleen Turner (actress, USA)
    • Benoît Poelvoorde (actor, screenwriter, Belgium)
    • Jerry Schatzberg (moviemaker, USA)
    • Tsui Hark (moviemaker, H-K China)
    • Peter Von Bagh (movie critic, Finland)
quote]

Thus proving that mindless hatred is very fashionable nowadays.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Azalin wrote:Stuart,

Most canadians, and many of them in Toronto, also dislike Bush, this is not only a European thing. Actually, the whole world, beside the states and Tony Blair, share the same feelings about Bush and americans.
And its too bad that you can't see the difference. As of last look, approximately half of US Americans (or did you folks move off the Continent?) share your disgust for Dubya and his merry crew.

It amazes me to find that every other country is so monolithic that there is no distinction between a leader, his policies, and the populace of that nation. FWIW, I doubt that even all Iraquis are so monolitically united in their beliefs as you picture canadians to be.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

blackhawk wrote: Thus proving that mindless hatred is very fashionable nowadays.
Maybe you're right. But then this fashion has been created in Washington.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Rando7 wrote:Like there was ever any doubt his movie was going to be distributed in the US. Poor downtrodden Michael Moore. Give me a break.
I never even in the slightest beleved that the "marketing controversy" betwee Disney/Eisner on one side and Miramark/Moore on the other was anything but a publicity hype much like the antisemitism brouhaha over Gibsons "Passion".

Folks can rant all they want about politics and similarly juvenile pursuits, but the only god known to the entertainment industry is cold, hard cash. Never doubt it.