"Fahrenheit 9/11" WINS Cannes' Palme d'Or

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT: "Fahrenheit 9/11" WINS Cannes' Palme d'Or

Post by Montana »

Zubivka wrote:Interestingly, the president of the 2004 Jury was not Jean-Luc Godard...
There's been too many Star Trek posts lately, I think. When I first read this, I was wondering why there was a reference to "Jean-Luc Picard". Speed-reading can get you into trouble.
I have read that unfortunately the movie is not as creative as Bowling For Coloumbine (of course that is just one critic's opinion), but I am curious to see it.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

The lack of understanding here amazes me...

First, there is a big difference between anger and hate. Many, many people are angry at Bush and what his administration have done. That does not mean they hate Bush, his administration or America, but that they are very angry, and justifiably so, about the enormous amount of damage Bush and his adminstration have wreaked upon the US and the rest of the world. To call that anger "hate" is an unfair and dishonest way to deligitimize it, to portray it as something bad and ugly, which it is not.

Second, some people continue to portray those who are angry at Bush and his administration as some sort of crazy, minority fringe group. It must be understood that a major percentage of US citizens are very angry with Bush, his administration and his policies. On top of that almost the entire world can hardly wait to see him go. In the last 5 years I have lived in the US, Ghana, Ireland, Scotland, Mexico and Costa Rica (I've travelled to about three times that number of counries during that time). The change I have seen has been tragic. Five years ago the great majority of the people I met in other countries admired the US and expressed considerable support for the US, though even then many people did express very reasonable concerns about US policy. During the last three years, and now more than ever, nearly everyone I meet while abroad expresses tremendous frustration, disappointment, anger and sorrow at what Bush and his administration have done to the US and to the world. The world is not "anti-American" - they are anti-Bush and his policies. The many, many Americans critical of Bush are not "anti-American" - they are pro-American and they recognize that Bush is destroying the America we believe in and we are proud of - a country that leads by example as a true beacon of freedom, democracy, truth, kindness and charity - not an America that says one thing and does another, obscuring lies with more lies and those with even more lies; not an America that places the wealth of a few over the wellbeing of the majority; not an America that acts like a playground bully, using tactics of fear to scare its own citizens and the citizens of other countries into submission. The most patriotic thing an American can do is to raise his or her voice, to criticize that which he or she believes to be wrong and to try and change it. It is a sad, sad time we live in where those who raise their voices for positive change are labeled "traitors" while those who stay silent or tow the party line are "patriots". Have we forgotten where this country came from? I raise my voice, as do millions of others, because I love America and all the good it stands for and I refuse to silently watch it destroyed.

Chris
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

sturob wrote:You know, Azalin, that's not exactly true. I've been here 11 months and haven't seen a lot of anti-Americanism. In fact, I've met more Canadians who like Bush than I know Americans who like Bush.
Howdy folks!

Just got back from a few weeks up in Canada. Now, I'm not one to get embroiled in political threads, but I thought I might bring up that there was a CTV/Globe and Mail poll that came out about...two weeks ago, I think, stating that 82% of Canadians disapprove of President Bush and believe he is "no friend of Canada." Disapproval was highest in BC, where I was staying (87%), and lowest in the Maritimes (somewhere around the mid-70s mark, I can't remember now).

Funnily enough, those wacky pranksters at CTV did a special segment in the same broadcast where they posted pictures of PM Paul Martin around near the capitol building and other locales of political and/or commercial importance in Washington DC (this was on the eve of Martin's recent meeting with Bush...<yawn> ho-hum). They then proceeded to interview about a dozen passers-by and SURPRISE! None of 'em could name the dude in the picture.

I for one did get tired of my Canadian pals and their constant Bush slagging, although it would usually stop once they figured out that my own opinions on the matter were further to the left of their own...It was also a bit tiring the way many Canadians that I met in my age group (mid-twenties) would either consciously or unconsciously try to suss out whether I was an "enlightened", well-informed American, or one of the "ignorant" (i.e. pro-Bush/pro-Iraq war) variety. I got so tired of this exchange that I essentially wound up preparing a little speech to use whenever this sort of thing came up: "Look, I'm not the least bit satisfied with the current American leadership, I never supported the Iraq war and think it has gone completely awry ...and by the way, yes, I know the metric system, I can speak French, and I can name more that five Canadian prime ministers." The last two were things that even some of my Canadian friends couldn't do...

For the record, I enjoy Michael Moore's films, polemecized though they may be, in part because Moore just has such a gift for making his interviewees so damned uncomfortable and provoking them to say and do incredibly stupid things. Apparently, I've heard that Moore got a camera crew embedded with troops in Iraq without the US Army being aware that it was his crew. That ought to make for some interesting footage...(also check out some of the "Letters from the Troops" on his website). I don't always agree with the man, but thank God he's there...Modern political discourse wounldn't be as much fun otherwise...

And by the way Stuart, I think those Molson I AM CANADIAN ads are f****n' hilarious...

-CD

PS--Ontario like an American state?! C'est de la poutine!
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

The Weekenders wrote:Good points, Zub, about the history of the films and Cannes judges, and Jon, about NYTimes (I do read the op-eds everyday and yet consider Rich as an apologist in that particular argument). I admit, I went over the top this am because I am sick to death of Michael Moore. To me, he's just another celeb rich guy, laughing all the way to the bank while he @#$s on his own country and culture. I see little in that guy of constructive solutions. It's easy to just sneer and act superior when you are not in actual positions of responsibility. From other thread, most of the commentators, including the rightwingers, have the same luxury.
I don't have a problem with Moore's making a lot of money, that's US capitalism in action. He certainly has a right to his opinion and if he can find ways to finance his movies, that's fine.

Where I have trouble with Moore gets into the same reasons I don't care for Michael Savage, O'Reilly, etc. Merely having a good story to tell doesn't justify rudeness or belittling people who are only periphally involved (secretaries, low-level management, etc.). Running up to people, sticking a microphone in their face and acting surprised when they lack eloquence isn't journalism and is unfair to your subject. He also frequently uses quotes out of context (he certainly isn't alone in this area).

Jon-M's reasoning, which is basically the left has to sink to the level of the right in order to compete, seems pretty weak. I don't like to see my "side" sink to the level of the other in order to win. Maybe I would feel differently if I were on the left.

On the subject of Montreal, our school choir (including my oldest daughter) is going there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully there won't be any incidents.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Rando7 wrote: On the subject of Montreal, our school choir (including my oldest daughter) is going there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully there won't be any incidents.
Well, if we ever meet, I'll pretend I'm friendly to aliens k? ;-) There's good sessions sometimes here, and I'm leading one on wednesday evenings, if you're around on that evening.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Rando7 wrote: Running up to people, sticking a microphone in their face and acting surprised when they lack eloquence isn't journalism and is unfair to your subject. He also frequently uses quotes out of context (he certainly isn't alone in this area).
I thought about Moore further and add that I think he could go into any country (where it was allowed) and use his "methods" and make anybody look foolish, inconsistent and awkward. Since when do you win at Cannes for updating "Candid Camera?"

And really, that clown in the wig, Howard Stern, has some kind of stuttering interview guy who goes around poking mics in the faces of celebs and asking them ridiculous questions until they crack...kinda the same thing only not focused on one topic.

In other words, I would hope that someone who does something exceptional is lauded, not somebody who has found a cheap formula to poke fun, look self-righteous, and capitalize on universal human weakness. I guess my own answer is that he does it exceptionally well and makes money at it, to the delight of film distributors, publishing industry et al. He is a corporate phenomena.

I look forward to his new book: "Stupid Brown Men" where he goes to Sudan and explores enslavement and genocide of African animists and Christians by the Muslim majority. Boy, he'll really get 'em! Think I should hold my breath?

He is supposedly going to get his own medicine according to an editorial in the UK Daily Telegraph. A young filmmaker, named Mike Wilson, is producing a documentary called "Michael Moore Hates America" in which the "slob in the baseball cap will fin his techniques turned on himself," said the article.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Rando,

You make a good point about rudeness. I don't mind that Savage, Limbaugh, O'Reilly think what they think. What I do mind is how they treat people - their guests, listeners, callers, the people they talk about.... they are so rude and meanspirited towards them. I don't think Michael Moore comes close to their level of rudeness but he does sometimes stray in that direction. I think he, like Savage, Limbaugh, et al, would be much more respected and actually make his point more clearly if he did so more kindly.

I was actually really disappointed with AirAmerica radio. As I've said, the thing that makes me really disgusted with Fox News, Rush, Savage, and the rest of that gang is how just pathetically rude they are to everyone they deal with - they constantly tell people to shut up, insult them, call people names, cut mikes, end interviews, interrupt, etc. It's a disgrace. I hoped that Air America would provide good, spirited, discussion of issues from a liberal perspective while treating guests, listeners, callers and the people they were discussing with respect. I was really disappointed to hear that they'd followed the example of the conservative radio and tv, being rude and obnoxious, the only major difference was that they were discussing things from a liberal perspective. It wasn't as bad as Fox but it was close. I haven't listened for about a month, so perhaps it has changed.
I know people have differing opinions - that's fantastic and I wouldn't have it any other way - I just wish we could treat eachother with decency and respect so we could have a real discussion.

Best,
Chris
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I am a dirty communist.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

[quote="vomitbunny"]I am a dirty communist.

Well, then take a bath for heaven's sake.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

In order to illustrate my point from a couple of posts above - that most US citizens are actually against Bush and his policies I've posted the most recent poll results and a link to the article discussing them.

Here's a little excerpt.... just to reassure the rest of the world that we in the US haven't lost our minds completely.

Evaluations of the way Mr. Bush is handling the war in Iraq, how he is handling foreign policy, and how he is handling his job overall are now at their lowest levels ever in his presidency.

Mr. Bush's overall job approval rating has continued to decline. Forty-one percent approve of the job he is doing as president, while 52 percent disapprove — the lowest overall job rating of his presidency. Two weeks ago, 44 percent approved. A year ago, two-thirds did.

Sixty-one percent of Americans now disapprove of the way Mr. Bush is handling the situation in Iraq, while just 34 percent approve.

As concern about the situation in Iraq grows, 65 percent now say the country is on the wrong track — matching the highest number ever recorded in CBS News Polls, which began asking this question in the mid-1980's. Only 30 percent currently say things in this country are headed in the right direction. One year ago, in April 2003, 56 percent of Americans said the country was headed in the right direction.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

More about the "movie":

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... .html'>CNN Article</a>
pthouron

Re: OT: "Fahrenheit 9/11" WINS Cannes' Palme d'Or

Post by pthouron »

Zubivka wrote:Interestingly, the president of the 2004 Jury was not Jean-Luc Godard or some other European crypto-communist, but... Quentin Tarantino.
I'm not sure, but Michael Moore may be the first ever to have won the prize with a non-fiction movie.
Zoob,

I believe he was the second. The first one to win with a documentary was, fittingly, Jacques Cousteau...

pt
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

I think it takes a tremendous amout of courage to do what Michael Moore does, and I am a huge supporter (this, coming from a gun owner and avid sportsman). Still, right is right and wrong is wrong. The first amendment does not give permission to yell Fire in a crowded theatre, and the 2nd amandment does not give permission to fanatics to acess assualt rifles....

I love the accidental publicity that Disney gave to the film, it insures that it will be seen by everyone.

another courageous writer is Paul Krugman of the New York Times, are you familiar with him?
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

But Parc, is that courage really? I mean, what have been the consequences? In a free society, one can does what he does and in his case get rich doing it.... I don't quite follow..
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I didn't like the old man (Bush 41)...I disliked his domestic policies and really disagreed with the way the entire Gulf War I thing was handled. I was only too happy to vote for a democrat in 1992.

Still, I'd rather have him in charge than any of his sons, especially Dubya.