Betcha can't say "Voldemort" ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

Betcha can't say "Voldemort" ...

Post by Brus »

... correctly.

The "t" is silent.

This comes from a certain J. K. Rowling, considered by some to be an authority on the matter since she actually invented the evil dude who inconviences Harry Potter.

It seems He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named isn't the only literary character whose name is frequently mispronounced:

http://www.detroitnewstime.com/regional ... r-one.html
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Betcha can't say "Voldemort" ...

Post by Coffee »

They didn't make the list for some reason, but some names from the J.R.R. Tolkein saga have been grossly mispronounced... particularly the dwarvish ones.
Balin, for example, should be said as Bah-lin, not Baylin.
I suspect this would have annoyed Tolkein somewhat, as he was a linguist and philologist.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Coffee wrote:They didn't make the list for some reason, but some names from the J.R.R. Tolkein saga have been grossly mispronounced... particularly the dwarvish ones.
Balin, for example, should be said as Bah-lin, not Baylin.
I suspect this would have annoyed Tolkein somewhat, as he was a linguist and philologist.
Yes, particularly since he read aloud each new chapter as he wrote them to his circle of literary friends.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Next you'll be telling me that I mispronounce "lingerie".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Violet Beauregarde is pronounced "Bore-R-Garr"? (I suspect they' didn't write the pronunciation all that well.) I'm a bit taken aback at this one -- if Roald Dahl didn't want the d pronounced, he shouldn't have put an e at the end. Just as JK Rowling didn't put an e at the end of Voldemort.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:Violet Beauregarde is pronounced "Bore-R-Garr"? (I suspect they' didn't write the pronunciation all that well.) I'm a bit taken aback at this one -- if Roald Dahl didn't want the d pronounced, he shouldn't have put an e at the end. Just as JK Rowling didn't put an e at the end of Voldemort.
Yes, I agree. I think they've got that one wrong. Just as I think they've got the pronunciation of Don Quixote wrong. In English it is traditional to pronounce it "Don "Quicks-ut" (not "oat").
Nanohedron wrote:Next you'll be telling me that I mispronounce "lingerie".
I hope you don't. That one is one of my top pet hates. And the whole world seems to pronounce it wrong.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Just as I think they've got the pronunciation of Don Quixote wrong. In English it is traditional to pronounce it "Don "Quicks-ut" (not "oat").
I was brought up with "Kee-HO-tay", and haven't heard it any other way. Well, maybe "Kuh-Hoady". These are probably the American norm. If you pronounce it "Qwicks-oat" (or the even less likely "Quicks-ut") here and don't get corrected, I'd be surprised. It's just not done.
benhall.1 wrote:
I hope you don't. That one is one of my top pet hates. And the whole world seems to pronounce it wrong.
I follow the crowd on this one just for the sake of my survival. Can you imagine the jeering and mockery I'd have to face if I insisted on pronouncing it in the French manner? I'd be called a snob, and rightly. Some people wouldn't even know what I was talking about, not that I bring up ladies' undies in conversation, but there you have it.

And that's another thing: The word originally applies to all undies, men's and women's, and essentially means "linens". Obviously we are able to carry purism only so far.

It's strange. There are some loanwords I pronounce according to prevailing English-speaking convention, and others wherein I remain truer to the original. I think this is largely in part due to whether the word will have any ubiquity in English, particularly my own. After all, I normally say "Pare-iss", not "Pa-Hree".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'm pretty true to pronunciation with loan words *if* they're from Spanish, which I speak passing well.
For most other cases... I'll go with the way I'm used to hearing it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
I follow the crowd on this one just for the sake of my survival. Can you imagine the jeering and mockery I'd have to face if I insisted on pronouncing it in the French manner? I'd be called a snob, and rightly.
Honestly, I don't think I'm being a snob in wanting to pronounce "lingerie" the ... well, the way it's pronounced. I simply wouldn't be able to make myself say it the way almost everyone seems to nowadays. Whenever I hear the word in other people's mouths, always pronounced wrongly, it's like a fuse going off in my head. There's nothing I can do about that. I get the exact same feeling when I hear famous pieces of music being 'cut and shunted' to make them fit into the paid for time of a television advert.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you might be a snob. Rather, that's the mindset you'll find in the States: especially in informal conversation, rigorous pronunciation of loanwords is often seen as pretentious, so you have to pick your battles.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I didn't know there was another way to pronounce, "lingerie". I don't even want to think what it might be.

Only recently did I learn that there was a way to mis-pronounce, "foyer".

"Lieutenant," on the other hand, I've know about for a long time. I'll leave it to you to debate which is right, and accept it either way.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I just realised Flornts is in Iddly which is in Yurp. :wink:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you might be a snob. Rather, that's the mindset you'll find in the States: especially in informal conversation, rigorous pronunciation of loanwords is often seen as pretentious, so you have to pick your battles.
... and yet ... there does seem to be a strange sort of faux-authentic way of pronouncing words over there. The one that springs immediately to mind is "herbs". It's supposed to be pronounced with an aspirated 'h', but Americans seem to go out of their way to drop the 'h', as if it's a French word ... except that the way it's pronounced (by some at least - Frasier, for instance) in the States isn't how the French pronounce their equivalent word. It's baffling. :-?
Tunborough wrote:I didn't know there was another way to pronounce, "lingerie". I don't even want to think what it might be.
I can't do the phonetic spelling, but the first syllable more or less rhymes with "van" and the last syllable rhymes with "bee". The emphasis is on the first syllable.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:... and yet ... there does seem to be a strange sort of faux-authentic way of pronouncing words over there. The one that springs immediately to mind is "herbs". It's supposed to be pronounced with an aspirated 'h', but Americans seem to go out of their way to drop the 'h', as if it's a French word ...
It's not faux to me and I don't go out of my way at all, for I was natively brought up with the word that way and I don't even think about it. It's apparently the same with the vast majority of my fellow Yanks as well, for all my life I have rarely heard it said any other way, so if you came to the States I fear your head would explode from indignation. :wink: As the overwhelming standard in US pronunciation regardless of one's socioeconomic position or linguistic awareness, it is therefore quite authentic on its own terms, because I can assure you that we're not going around trying to sound "French" about it. It's so ingrained that even reading the word, I hear no H. In fact, I never really considered why we pronounce it that way until you brought it up. As I said, I typically don't even think about it, and that means I'm not the only one. Only a philologist could answer how this convention came to be. Back in the day it may indeed have originally been an aping of the French, but why that word? Be that as it may, in usage now it doesn't carry for me any more subtext of Frenchness than does "hour" - which is to say pretty much none at all, and I don't pronounce the H there either. As a callow youth not knowing any better, I always considered pronouncing the H in "herbs" to be (in a Yank, that is) a sign of either miseducation, brain damage, foreignry, or a strange trait of exclusive and shady cultural inbreeding that only a lost social climber would adopt as an affectation. In the case of Martha Stewart, who knows where the reality lies.

"Hhhhherbs"? No, they quaintly do that over in the UK. :wink:

That said, I do often tend to pronounce my "wh" in full (a strictly unconscious reflex from my schooling, such as it was) and occasionally I get mocked for it. Like Stewie and his Wheat Thins. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Vcbm-XWtg

Except I know for a fact that my "wh" isn't as obtrusive as Stewie's. :wink:
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

That wh... do you know where that's from?
It's a carry-over of English's germanic heritage; wh used to be it's own letter. I would not be opposed to changing it back, by the way.
Bring back the distinctive letters, and English, over time, would get *less* confusing, I think. The wh's, and the þ's. Especially the þ's.
Oh, and double spaces after full stops. Those were... nice.