Hairy or hairless, where are you on the evolution time scale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

it's sunny and dry here in NSW, but my stay is only temporary :sniffle:
my destiny's uncertain, were fortunes have been lost and won with the dealin' of a hand,
my past it is a purple haze, my future is an untold maze, my future is another gaze at dear old NSW.
Last edited by lixnaw on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I don't know whether you lot meant this, but the Tamar is the river that divides Cornwall from Devon. From England, some would say.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

SteveShaw wrote:I don't know whether you lot meant this, but the Tamar is the river that divides Cornwall from Devon. From England, some would say.

Steve
it's also a river in Tasmania :o http://www.tamarriverretreat.com.au/
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I think that Tasmania adopted a few Cornish names, Launceston being a prime example. Launceston, Cornwall is pronounced "Lanson" by those who know, and "Lawnston" by the others. It's 15 miles away from me and is useful in that it has the nearest castle, Tesco, Argos and Co-op Homemaker to us. :)

Steve

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

MarkB wrote:Lampchop wrote:
We're big on oranges, as well, and they taste better than the ones from California
Now would they be the fuzzy naval type or the non fuzzy navel type?

MarkB
They are the non-fuzz type, certainly.

Ours have thinner skins, they're not dried out inside, and we don't have to dye ours orange . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I'm polite enough to hoover the fluff out of my navel before inviting anyone to sample it...

Steve

Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:I'm polite enough to hoover the fluff out of my navel before inviting anyone to sample it...

Steve
Well! I am impressed!

I have never met anyone that could Hoover their own navel...
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Denny wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I'm polite enough to hoover the fluff out of my navel before inviting anyone to sample it...

Steve
Well! I am impressed!

My advice is not to do it when drunk and to keep the nozzle at least 5" from the stomach. 7" if you're using a Dyson. It's much more fun to get someone else to do it for you, but keep your undies on unless you trust 'em implicitly... :D

Steve

Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:
Denny wrote:

Steve
Well! I am impressed!

My advice is not to do it when drunk and to keep the nozzle at least 5" from the stomach. 7" if you're using a Dyson. It's much more fun to get someone else to do it for you, but keep your undies on unless you trust 'em implicitly... :D

Steve
Ah, you use a vacuum! :)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Ooooh! I love being hoovered! It's so delightful! Such a delicious feeling of fresh ventilation . . . so cooling . . . all through the fleece . . . and the fluffing! Flufffluffflufffluffff! Mmmm!

I am surprised to find another aficionado, Steve. You have excellent taste, I see.
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Lambchop wrote:Ooooh! I love being hoovered! It's so delightful! Such a delicious feeling of fresh ventilation . . . so cooling . . . all through the fleece . . . and the fluffing! Flufffluffflufffluffff! Mmmm!

I am surprised to find another aficionado, Steve. You have excellent taste, I see.
:lol:

Steve

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

:oops: Oh, dear! Someone just PM'd me to explain . . . so sorry! I had no idea! :oops:

Well, I was in need of a hug, due to having had a near-death experience this afternoon, and I got carried away. The thought of being fluff-dried and hoovered was really appealing.

Sigh. I was driving to the car place to get my oil changed and tires rotated, and got on the interstate. Well, you know those curving on-ramps? This one has a really bad merge lane after it and heavy traffic coming up from behind. You nearly have to stop to wait to get on, so you get on kind of too slowly.

So there I was, getting up to speed at about 50, with a big truck in front, and having moved one lane to the left--and all 4 lanes are full and everyone is doing 50--when a car shot up behind me and then started to pass me on the right, in the last bit of the merge lane from the on-ramp .

Well, ok, passing on the right. Lunatic.

I'm driving, and I'm suddenly aware that this man has gotten level with my right front wheel. He is literally climbing out his window, steering with his right hand, and is screaming at me and making obscene gestures with his left. He is out the window to his waist, for God's sake, and he's looking BACK at me. He's not looking at the road.

And, apparently, the expression on my face set him off. I had been whistling Eleanor Plunkett and I was stopped, with my lips still pursed, in the middle of it.

I am not making this up. He went into full-blown road rage. I have never seen anything like that.

The cars are packed. There is nowhere to go. I can't change lanes or slow down, and I can't speed up because there is this semi-tractor-trailer up there still trying to accelerate.

Well, everything kind of went into slow motion.

I could see that he seemed to think I wasn't getting whatever he was trying to communicate.

The lunatic turned around toward me some more, got further out the window, then let go of the steering wheel, and began gesturing with both hands. Still screaming.

He's screaming "You f**g b*h!!!! The speed limit is 65! 65!!!! Do you hear me???? 65!" And he's showing me 6 fingers and then 5 fingers and then 6 and then 5. Repeatedly. And pounding on the door of his car and shaking his fists at me.

And then . . . and then . . . his car starts to drift over toward mine. He's going to pound my fender.

I can see short graying-brown hair, about 5 days worth of gray-brown beard, and what looked like wall-to-wall teeth. With some cavities. And there's spit flying in the wind, he's so angry. Still screaming.

But his whole car is going to broadside mine. And I can't go anywhere.

And he still hasn't looked back at the road. There is a car right in front of him.

I'm kind of glad he hadn't pulled out a gun, because I didn't want to have to duck, but he's still sliding over . . . sliding . . . sliding . . .

I went straight sideways. And all the cars around me, even the one behind, did the same. Everybody went to the left, like some kind of precision dance team. We just kind of bulged left. Some of them were half on the shoulder.

When the lunatic saw everyone move, he looked up and realized where he was. Kept on screaming, still half out the window, still making evil gestures with his left hand, but he was getting back in the car. Then, he floored it and shot off onto the shoulder on the right, passed a couple of cars, and disappeared into the distance.

Interestingly, about 5 minutes further on, there was some highway patrol off on the right, peering into a canal. You could see freshly ripped up grass and some shredded vegetation by the edge.

I hoped it was him, but I wondered if he'd run someone off the road.

Anyway, I was thinking I would enjoy a hug after all that excitement, and the thought of a good fluffing was very appealing, so I posted without thinking it through. Impulsive.

So sorry!
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Wow! What an incredible experience! I fell asleep after work and had this extremely vivid dream that I was on the interstate and this woman veered right in front of me from an on-ramp without even looking. At the last instant I managed to swerve to the right around her and onto the shoulder. Terrified and running on adreneline, I gave her a piece of my mind as I fought to regain control of my vehicle and make my way back onto the road surface when suddenly ... Wait a minute ... Hoovering? Fluffing? Explain, please. :-?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lamby, glad you made it.

A sociopath with a car 'tis a scary thing.

I so do not miss the city.
djm wrote:Hoovering? Fluffing? Explain, please. :-?
Me too...
I going with some alt. meaning for fluffing.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:Lamby, glad you made it.

A sociopath with a car 'tis a scary thing.

I so do not miss the city.
djm wrote:Hoovering? Fluffing? Explain, please. :-?
Me too...
I going with some alt. meaning for fluffing.
Thank you, Denny. I feel better now. <sniff> But fragile. Better, but fragile.

I should move to Cornwall. It must be very nice there. Nice and safe. Cute, too. Everything there is nice, safe, and cute.

I think the hoovering part was ok. It was the other. I'm clueless.

Where is Mr. Nano-Knows-All? He can explain.
Cotelette d'Agneau