What do you like best about where you live?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: What do you like best about where you live?

Post by dwest »

I've heard it said that in the Forest of Dean repulsing ravenous ravens requires ripe roadkill rodents...
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ravens are ravenous by definition. Even when they are replete they are never satiated. Tigers, on the other hand, do not raven when replete. :D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Ravens are ravenous by definition. Even when they are replete they are never satiated. Tigers, on the other hand, do not raven when replete. :D
Quite riveting really.
emmline

Post by emmline »

New answer: What I like best is that there are neighbors here who return wandering people to my house when necessary.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

What do I like best about where I live?

Well, just look at it, think about the hills/crags for climbing, tracks/trails for running, sea for sailing, detached house for playing music all night and goddamned awful (typically wet, wet, wet!) weather...

That's just some of what I like best about where I live!

:)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Anyanka wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Walk out of the front door, and you can step into the beautiful Royal Forest of Dean. Walk out of the back of the house, and you're in rolling Herefordshire meadows. Wales is a 15 minute drive away and the Cotswolds a 30 minute drive in the opposite direction. Within an hour's drive, you can get North to Birmingham, or South to Bristol.

But, for the last few years, more importantly than all that, there has been a pair of ravens nesting in the trees on the ridge just above the house. They come and circle overhead at the end of the day when I'm in the garden, and now they have a youngster who comes and flies about with them too. Every now and then, they land on the drive and hop about in a lollopy sort of way. They are about the most beautiful birds I've ever seen.
Ben, I was so contented - living halfway between London and Brighton in a lovely old town, near open countryside, with lots of access to art and music.

But you have RAVENS. And you're a lot nearer Wales than I am... Can I come and live with you?
Anyanka, I owe you a huge apology. Somehow I missed this post of yours. I am sorry. And yes, of course you can come and live here. I've been thinking of letting lots of people live here as a sort of musical mini-commune. I have an acre and a half for a bunch of us to develop to live in and plant for food. Not massive. But not tiny either.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

emmline wrote:New answer: What I like best is that there are neighbors here who return wandering people to my house when necessary.
Some of the county emergency services around here are funding GPS systems for folks who wander and don't have the ability to find their way home. A young girl that lives with one of my foster families has this. It looks like a really cool wristwatch that's unremovable. This was a relief to us in more ways than one.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:
emmline wrote:New answer: What I like best is that there are neighbors here who return wandering people to my house when necessary.
Some of the county emergency services around here are funding GPS systems for folks who wander and don't have the ability to find their way home. A young girl that lives with one of my foster families has this. It looks like a really cool wristwatch that's unremovable. This was a relief to us in more ways than one.
Good idea. Those systems are pricy otherwise.
Mary Hanafin Doonan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mary Hanafin Doonan »

ytliek,

Great Classic wooden boat show, Maine's too!!!

Well, 4 years ago, I was {{wwoorrking}} upto 160 hours a week nursing... went per diem because with luck, took on a summer crew position racing on Onawa US 6 Circa 1928 with the 12 meter America cups in Newport, R.I. USA. My Mum kiddingly said she " thought it were my sons I had to worry about going to sea"... HAA! the sea took me :D

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Mary Hanafin Doonan wrote:ytliek,

Great Classic wooden boat show, Maine's too!!!

Well, 4 years ago, I was {{wwoorrking}} upto 160 hours a week nursing... went per diem because with luck, took on a summer crew position racing on Onawa US 6 Circa 1928 with the 12 meter America cups in Newport, R.I. USA. My Mum kiddingly said she " thought it were my sons I had to worry about going to sea"... HAA! the sea took me :D

:really: sweeet... reaalllyysswweeeeet.. I guess I could live there as well :D
maki

Post by maki »

Peter Duggan wrote:What do I like best about where I live?

Well, just look at it, think about the hills/crags for climbing, tracks/trails for running, sea for sailing, detached house for playing music all night and goddamned awful (typically wet, wet, wet!) weather...

That's just some of what I like best about where I live!

:)
How long does it take ya ta drive to Thurso East?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

maki wrote:How long does it take ya ta drive to Thurso East?
About four hours (must be close to 200 miles). Never been surfing, but used to take our school pupils to do joint concerts with Thurso High School, and was once told that Thurso and Kinlochleven High (where I teach) were the two furthest apart high schools in any local authority area in Europe!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

What is that? A pigeon? They're pretty much everywhere. :wink:
Denny wrote:Image
Denny

Post by Denny »

I closed the vents to the shed...they still live here...been over a year now :twisted:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.