Lambs to the slaughter

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: Lambs to the slaughter

Post by dwest »

s1m0n wrote:A dozen years of music classes and four years at the conservatory, and all they want you to do is pose in a golden frock..

And did you notice that the two on the left have their petticoats showing?
That's why they're called Piccadilly Cowboys. YeeHaw!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Why some call it soccer.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcr ... 2006a.html
Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football.
So we call it Soccer instead of Ass. Football.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote: So we call it Soccer instead of Ass. Football.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Image :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Image
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

dwest wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote: So we call it Soccer instead of Ass. Football.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
We could say both! I'm about ready whenever I see the thread titles here and at other place.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Denny

Post by Denny »

aw, Weeks ya know them sports things are only slightly more important than the live or death stuff :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

SteveShaw wrote:I'm saying it'll be 4-0 to England on Saturday with a Rooney hat-trick. How can we not humiliate you? :D
s1m0n wrote:I don't know, but I note that for some years now, the UK has been managing to autohumiliate at the world cup.
I'd like the record to show that I called this world cup result way back on June 10 (page 1, post 3).
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dwest

Post by dwest »

s1m0n wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I'm saying it'll be 4-0 to England on Saturday with a Rooney hat-trick. How can we not humiliate you? :D
s1m0n wrote:I don't know, but I note that for some years now, the UK has been managing to autohumiliate at the world cup.
I'd like the record to show that I called this world cup result way back on June 10 (page 1, post 3).
I had no doubt your prediction would ring true.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yup, Simon called it! Were it not for the size and scope of English Football as an international institution, I wouldn't say they auto-humiliated exactly. They just weren't that good compared to some others, and perhaps claims were made, etc. but mostly by SUPERFANS :wink: . By the same token, that first goal WAS humiliating where the goalie was on the ground because of girlfriend troubles. There is that. :lol:
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Great Race begins tomorrow. I'm betting that by the 25th of July an Englishman will not win the tour. A Belgian, Spaniard, Italian, Frenchman, Norwegian, Irishman, American, German, even a Manx could win, but no Englishman.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Holland is smokin' Of course I am wrong in my predictions of finalists as Argies out. All I do know is that the games Friday and Saturday were much more interesting and exciting than all previous. Things are really tightening up. And of course, going out of town and will miss games the rest of the week, except final perhaps.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Certainly true in the case of the English, the rest of us in the UK prefer to get our humiliation out of the way in the smaller context of the qualification stages :(
dwest

Post by dwest »

Well the Orange are going to the final to play either Germany or Spain. Never saw the day coming when I'd root for the Orange. :boggle:
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Ooooo. Gotta appreciate the way the Spaniards swarmed all over Germany.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦