Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Yes, and I am under 30.
8%
Yes, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
38%
No, and I am under 30.
2%
No, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
50%
Other answer (please explain).
2%

Total votes: 52

buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Post by buddhu »

Never wear a watch. Don't own or want a watch.

I look at a clock so I know when to leave for work, then sometimes won't look at another all day unless I have a need to be somewhere at a certain time.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

izzarina wrote:I miss my watch I had back in the '80s. It was a Swatch, and was pink and aqua with funky designs. It was the coolest thing ever.
I had forgotten I still have my Swatch watch . . . it needs a new battery but it probably still works. It had a checkerboard face of blue and pink and a blue strap. I later replaced it with a pink.

I'd wear it but I don't like wrist watches. I wear a heavy duty Timex for work(I've had it for ten years now) as I need to have an idea when I start a break and when to head back. I also tend to watch the clock, I'd be lost without it! It also helps with remembering the date, too.

I love having a day when I'm not checking my watch or checking the computer clock or the VCR clock or the wall clock. Clocks, in one form or another, are everywhere! It's so hard to lose track of time, but time seems more enjoyable and relaxing when you lose track of it. I love having one of those afternoons!
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I am left-handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. I wreck watches in no time so I wear one that cost me ten quid. It's a plasticky Casio with an analogue face with big numbers on it, and the one I have now is the third specimen of this model I've owned. They last at least five or six years on one battery and they are deadly accurate. I can't bear watches that just have little marks instead of numbers and I also hate Roman numerals. I don't like watches that have silly little windows with the date in there. I once had a watch with day and date, and it was the devil's own job to keep the two coordinated. I am allergic to something in the metal buckles of nearly all watch-straps. The Casio one has buckles which are lacquered, so it's OK. I have had similar problems with steel wrist-bands, so I stick to cheap plastic. I can't bear to be without a watch. The strap comes in very handy as a sun-tan gauge.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Oh Lord, Steve is too much like me. I keep Casio watches for camping, canoeing, and swimming but that's it. Timex for regular life. I have owned pretty much the same style watch my whole entire life with only slight variations:
1. Big White Face.
2. All Arabic Numerals, (No Roman, No Hatch Marks, NO DIGITAL!)
3. Metal Flex-a-Band. I have switched from Gold to Silver with a Transitional Gold/Silver Combo a few years back.
4. I thought Indiglo was a waste til I was in a Movie Theatre. Now it's a must have.
5. Day/Date is a new must have for documentation a few watches back. My next watch will have the magnifying crystal bubble. Who can see that?

My wife mocked me when I brought home my current watch. She said, "Oh, what a surprise, it looks just like every other watch you've ever owned." I retorted, "You are so wrong. This watch has little red military numbers 13 through 24. It's totally different."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Gosh, Timex watches were the instruments of choice when I were a little lad 50 years ago! I wore Indiglo watches for years, but I had to give up because I couldn't get one that I wasn't allergic to. :( I still have one in the kitchen drawer but I imagine the battery has gone by now. I'll have to hunt for it now because of you! I hate digital watch-faces. They're so, er...faceless...
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

SteveShaw wrote: I hate digital watch-faces. They're so, er...faceless...
They deny the cyclical nature of time and are therefore an abomination. :wink:
Quick! Move this thread to the Rubber Room!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

SteveShaw wrote:Gosh, Timex watches were the instruments of choice when I were a little lad 50 years ago! I wore Indiglo watches for years, but I had to give up because I couldn't get one that I wasn't allergic to. :( I still have one in the kitchen drawer but I imagine the battery has gone by now. I'll have to hunt for it now because of you! I hate digital watch-faces. They're so, er...faceless...
I've got a Timex expedition watch that cost me about a tenner from argos. Really basic, with a fabrix strap and a buckle that I'm not really convinced is metal.

It was supposed to be a stop gap until I could convince someone to get me a nice watch again for my birthday or christmas, but it's been going for 2 years and I've not bothered replacing it yet. When it dies I'll probably get a really nice watch again.

Why do I wear a watch? Because I like to be able to find out the time and tut loudly when my friends are late to meet me. Also, a nice watch is just a wonderful thing to have. The precision and engineering that goes into something so small to make sure it does just one thing very, very well. Wonderful.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've got my dad's watch; it wasn't a flashy watch, but it's the one he wore when I was a kid. He used to wear it on the inside of his wrist, above his 'pulse'. I can remember him telling me that he had to wear it there, because in the ww2 submarines, the gangways were narrow, the boat tiny, and hard things to smash a watch on were everywhere, so he learned to wear it on the part of his wrist that got bashed less.

Like every other old man with a self-winding watch, he eventually came to an age in which he didn't move enough to keep it wound. On one of my trips home I noticed he was wearing a cheap battery watch. After he died I found it in his dresser, and my sister said she wasn't interested in it. I wore it for a few years, but it's been breaking and I'm tired of having it repaired. Watchmakers all look at me with more respect when I hand it to them, and say things like "that's a nice watch", but when I get it back, $200 later, the repair lasts a few months and then it breaks again; it's the stem of the winding knob, i go to pull it out to set the time, and the whole thing comes loose, and I put it away until some time when I can afford to throw another 200 clams at it. That's where it is now.

These days I'm carrying my dad's pocket knife; a 50 or 60 year old piece of sheffield steel. When I got it the blades were all dull, and the large blade had a big notch in it from a time when he tried to strip the rubber from an electric cord that wasn't as unplugged as he'd thought.

A few months back I was in the Mountain Equipment co-op and found a knife-sharpening jig kit, and decided to finally learn how to sharpen a blade. When I'd gotten the hang of it, I went and found his knife and ground down the notch and put new edges on the blades.
Last edited by s1m0n on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cork

Post by Cork »

s1m0n wrote:I've got my dad's watch; it wasn't a flashy watch, but it's the one he wore when I was a kid. He used to war it on the inside of his wrist, above his 'pulse'. I can remember him telling me that he had to wear it there, because in the ww2 submarines, the gangways were narrow, the boat tiny, and hard things to smash a watch on were everywhere, so he h=learned to wear in the part of his wrist that got bashed less.

Like every other old man with a self-winding watch, he came to an age in which he didn't move enough to keep it wound. On one of my trips home I noticed he was wearing a cheap battery watch (which probably kept better time). After he died I found it in his dresser, and my sister said she wasn't interested in it. I wore it for a few years, but it's been breaking and I'm tired of having it repaired. Watchmakers all look at me with more respect when I hand it to them, and say things like "that's a nice watch", but when I get it back, $200 later, the repair lasts a few months and then it breaks again; it's the stem of the winding knob, i go to pull it out to set the time, and the whole thing comes loose, and I put it away until some time when I can afford to throw another 200 clams at it. That's where it is now.

These days I'm carrying my dad's pocket knife; a 50 or 60 year old piece of sheffield steel. When I got it the blades were all dull, and the large blade had a big notch in it from a time when he tried to strip the rubber from an electric cord that wasn't as unplugged as he'd thought.

A few months back I was in the Mountain Equipment co-op and found a knife-sharpening jig kit, and decided to finally learn how to sharpen a blade. When I'd gotten the hang of it, I went and found his knife and ground down the notch and put new edges on the blades.
My dad passed away about twenty years ago, and he was in WW2, too.

Thanks for your memories, s1m0n!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Cork wrote:
s1m0n wrote:I've got my dad's watch; it wasn't a flashy watch, but it's the one he wore when I was a kid. He used to war it on the inside of his wrist, above his 'pulse'. I can remember him telling me that he had to wear it there, because in the ww2 submarines, the gangways were narrow, the boat tiny, and hard things to smash a watch on were everywhere, so he h=learned to wear in the part of his wrist that got bashed less.

Like every other old man with a self-winding watch, he came to an age in which he didn't move enough to keep it wound. On one of my trips home I noticed he was wearing a cheap battery watch (which probably kept better time). After he died I found it in his dresser, and my sister said she wasn't interested in it. I wore it for a few years, but it's been breaking and I'm tired of having it repaired. Watchmakers all look at me with more respect when I hand it to them, and say things like "that's a nice watch", but when I get it back, $200 later, the repair lasts a few months and then it breaks again; it's the stem of the winding knob, i go to pull it out to set the time, and the whole thing comes loose, and I put it away until some time when I can afford to throw another 200 clams at it. That's where it is now.

My dad passed away about twenty years ago, and he was in WW2, too.

Thanks for your memories, s1m0n!
My dad was also in WW2. He served oand was wounded on Iwo Jima. He never talked about it. Somehow I ended up with his square Hamilton watch and, as with Simon, I got tired of repairing it and it took up residence in my top drawer.
Mike