Seriously OT: Tal is not for all

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

emmline wrote:
JessieD wrote: ??????
???????
Does that mean I call you Emm or JessieD?
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

JessieD wrote:Actually talasiga means "sun-burnt land" not "dry grass country". So I dont know what I should call you! :)
As I am born in Fiji and this username is a nickname given to me by an indigenous Fijian woman whose village was next to my mother's village and who knew my mother, I think I am in a better position to know the meaning of it than someones incomplete distillation from google. Talasiga literally means dry land or dry country and refers to what is considered waste lands in the Western half of the Fiji Archipelago. These are beautiful grasslands, much of it rolling hills broken occasionally by rainforest in wet gullies. You can have correlate synonyms for it as you have provided but that does not demote the meaning I have provided.
My mothers's village was in such country and my love of landscape was born there and has served me well in Australia.

BTW the rainfall in the so-called "dry half " of Fiji is about 80 inches per annum!!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

talasiga wrote:
JessieD wrote:Actually talasiga means "sun-burnt land" not "dry grass country". So I dont know what I should call you! :)
As I am born in Fiji and this username is a nickname given to me by an indigenous Fijian woman whose village was next to my mother's village and who knew my mother, I think I am in a better position to know the meaning of it than someones incomplete distillation from google. Talasiga literally means dry land or dry country and refers to what is considered waste lands in the Western half of the Fiji Archipelago. These are beautiful grasslands, much of it rolling hills broken occasionally by rainforest in wet gullies. You can have correlate synonyms for it as you have suggested but that does not demote the meaning I have provided.

BTW the rainfall in the so-called "dry half " of Fiji is about 80 inches per annum!!

So when you refer to talasiga grasslands are you saying "dry grass country grasslands" or "dry country grasslands"?

Suckah's gots to know.
emmline

Post by emmline »

talasiga wrote:
To be clear. T'wasn't my googling.

JessieD...as long as you've filed the necessary permits, you may call me "Schni Schna Schnappi Schnappi."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

izzarina wrote:
talasiga wrote:
izzarina wrote:Surely I have not been guilty of such an infraction. But if I have, I apologize heartily, and promise never to call you Tal again, unless you're not looking.

:D
If me and my wife ever visit and you're in the bath, you can call me Tal.
Ok....well, what IF I am posting from the bath (which of course I do on a regular basis) and you happen to be posting whilst your wife is looking on, can I call you Tal then?
Izzy, lets face it, if you call me Tal I'll never look up to you again!
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

talasiga wrote: You are a very imaginative fellow.
Fellow? I think not. You, sir, do not know me well enough to call me that! :lol:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

JessieD wrote:....

So when you refer to talasiga grasslands are you saying "dry grass country grasslands" or "dry country grasslands"?

Suckah's gots to know.
Sweetie Honey Pie. I never used that tautology. See? You must of read it in one of them there websites written by some A merican. You know the sorts of A mericans that refer to "bansuri flutes" :lol:
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

aderyn_du wrote:
Fellow? I think not. You, sir, do not know me well enough to call me that! :lol:
Arbitrate his astalavista, aderyn_dudesteress! :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
talasiga

Adarein's Dare

Post by talasiga »

aderyn_du wrote:
Sir? How dare do you call me that?
I am not a mere knight
I am the Prince of Delight !
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

talasiga wrote:
JessieD wrote:....

Suckah's gots to know.
Sweetie Honey Pie. I never used that tautology. See? You must of read it in one of them there websites written by some A merican. You know the sorts of A mericans that refer to "bansuri flutes" :lol:
Thank you for clarifying, "shugah cheeks" (that's what we call talasigas here in Dixie!)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

GaryKelly wrote:
Arbitrate his astalavista, aderyn_dudesteress! :)
Ooh, I like that. I shall henceforth be known as 'aderyn_dudesteress'... you all may call me aderyn_dudesteress for short.

:P
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:
izzarina wrote:
talasiga wrote: If me and my wife ever visit and you're in the bath, you can call me Tal.
Ok....well, what IF I am posting from the bath (which of course I do on a regular basis) and you happen to be posting whilst your wife is looking on, can I call you Tal then?
SIGH!! Alright. Then can I call you Tally?

Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

izzarina wrote:
talasiga wrote:
izzarina wrote: Ok....well, what IF I am posting from the bath (which of course I do on a regular basis) and you happen to be posting whilst your wife is looking on, can I call you Tal then?
SIGH!! Alright. Then can I call you Tally?

That's my bird's name. Well, it was Taliesin until we discovered eggs at the bottom of 'his' cage. We decided to name her Tally after that.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i shall henceforth call aderyn 'waxbabe'.

Albanian

Post by Albanian »

talasiga wrote:
Albanian in his 3rd post wrote:You sure can call me Al........
You Sir! are a NEWBIE!
Just don't try to sell a flute or whistle in the next five minutes
and I won't ask you to leave my topic.

......whatever
-Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence to that fact-

George Eliot