alcohol consumption

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is the frequency with which you consume alcohol?

Never.
17%
I've stopped/I'm recovering
5%
Semi-frequently or "socially."
42%
Every day (for better or for worse)
19%
other answer
17%

Total votes: 78

Rob G
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rob G »

Almost every day, I fear. My girlfriend makes me do it. Actually, most of the time it's half a pint of beer, sometimes wine, whisky, mojito or something else. Yesterday I had a Hoegaarden Grand Cru ... Eh, to support our economy (Yeah, ... I drink beer to support the Belgian economy :D ).

That said, I seldom drink much more than that, but it can happen, sometimes, in the weekends.

Cheers,

Rob
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I used to drink quite a lot, every day, even on work days, sometimes during a National Election, lots and lots during tax season... then one day I grew tired of it. It lost its allure and charm, and it didn't make me feel as good anymore. Actually, it made me feel really really bad. That's when I decided to try snorting Draino, it's much, much better than booze!

I feel as though I am a new, or at least gently used, man!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I only drink socially but I'm a very sociable guy. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Beer and Tequila are my potables of choice.

Here's what bugs me about all of the food threads. It's like a competition to see who can outclass who.

I can't believe there aren't people here (besides Cran) who don't like plain ole off the shelf candy bars (snickers, kit-kat etc), Velveeta or Cheez Whiz, Spaghetti-O's, McDonalds, Budweiser, Jack Daniels, Wonder Bread, bologna, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Hamburger Helper, canned corned beef hash and so on.

Some indeed have confessed to liking some of the cheaper things of life but for the most part it's like a test of upsmanship.

There. That's been on my mind for some time. Thank you.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Some indeed have confessed to liking some of the cheaper things of life but for the most part it's like a test of upsmanship.

There. That's been on my mind for some time. Thank you.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAMMITY, SPAM........

(oh, wait, wrong thread.......)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Flyingcursor wrote:I can't believe there aren't people here (besides Cran) who don't like plain ole off the shelf candy bars (snickers, kit-kat etc), Velveeta or Cheez Whiz, Spaghetti-O's, McDonalds, Budweiser, Jack Daniels, Wonder Bread, bologna, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Hamburger Helper, canned corned beef hash and so on.
Half of those we don't get this side of the water. The rest I'm happy to have on my intake list (with the notable exception of Budweiser). Junk food, good food, organic food, for me that word 'food' is the important part.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:

I can't believe there aren't people here (besides Cran) who don't like plain ole off the shelf candy bars (snickers, kit-kat etc), Velveeta or Cheez Whiz, Spaghetti-O's, McDonalds, Budweiser, Jack Daniels, Wonder Bread, bologna, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Hamburger Helper, canned corned beef hash and so on.
You forgot Stove Top Stuffing...... :D
missy

Post by missy »

Fly also forgot beef jerky and Slim Jims!!!
Missy

TomB

Post by TomB »

missy wrote:I'll have wine with dinner, depending on the dinner (yes, I love a good, cheap Chianti!! :D ).

Missy, you are a woman after my own heart. I like a lot of different red wines, but still, my favorite is Chianti, and no need to spend the big bucks, in my opinion.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'll be totally honest, and this'll shock a few o' you (it might explain a few things to a few of you too :P ), but I am a recovering alcoholic. I've been dry for almost five years now.
So, the answer is, no, I don't drink anymore, with the exception of a few slip ups (well, hell, nobody is perfect :P . Just 'cause I don't drink dosn't mean I don't still love beer!).
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy

Post by missy »

Tom - we have a place here called "Jungle Jim's". It started years ago as a corner fruit and veggie stand, but has expanded to a HUGE place that sells just about anything, from any culture, that is edible (and even questionably edible!). They also have an fantastic wine selection.
We go up there and stock up on all kinds of wine - the cheaper the better! It's lots of fun to try out something different (and weirdly named).

http://www.junglejims.com/
Missy

TomB

Post by TomB »

missy wrote:Tom - we have a place here called "Jungle Jim's". It started years ago as a corner fruit and veggie stand, but has expanded to a HUGE place that sells just about anything, from any culture, that is edible (and even questionably edible!). They also have an fantastic wine selection.
We go up there and stock up on all kinds of wine - the cheaper the better! It's lots of fun to try out something different (and weirdly named).

http://www.junglejims.com/

Missy: I took a quick look. Fabulous looking site. It looks like they have a huge variety of things. It must be great fun.

Tom
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:Some indeed have confessed to liking some of the cheaper things of life but for the most part it's like a test of upsmanship.
Here I was going to post about the expensive beers and liquors that I prefer, but now you've ruined it for me, Flydood. :P

I can honestly say I do NOT like Budwieser....I think it tastes like sewer water (well, at least what sewer water would taste like if I were to actually taste it). My favorite beer is Guinness, but I rarely have it because it's too expensive for my pocketbook these days. In terms of wine, I do have more expensive taste, but GOOD wine can be had even at a cheaper price if you know where to look. I won't buy the big gallon bottles, though....they're just gross.
As for harder stuff, I'm not particular simply because I'm not that into it. I really don't drink all that much to begin with, and I'd rather have a nice glass of Pinot Grigio than a shot of whiskey any time. Although, I do like mixed drinks from time to time (rum and coke, coffee and Irish whiskey, etc.).

As for junk food, I'm not particular ;) Although I'm dying form some GOOD chocolate right now :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Wow i geuss im a complete lush compared to you lot :o

Would i be stereotyping myself if i suggested it be my nationality?

I have quite a lot of vices (most actually!).

I would drink every evening usually 2-3 bottles of Warsteine/ or cans of Stella,Dutch Gold, or Half a bottle of white wine(Columbard).

If i was at a mid-week sesiun i would have maybe 6 pints Guinness.

Weekends are a different matter, depending on what im up to. If im away to Ennis or Cavan then i would drink about 8 pints Guin each night.

I am also quite fond of certain (exotic) weeds and fungi.
I smoke opprox 15 Bensons/day.
I like erm ahem spending a few quid on (the oldest proffession) :oops:

I still manage to hold down a job no problems and seem to be having a bit of a ball these days!

Though just reading back on that it looks terrible compared to some other 'fesses!

anyway Slainte!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
TomB

Post by TomB »

flanum wrote:I like erm ahem spending a few quid on (the oldest proffession) :oops:

anyway Slainte!

In Ireland? What would the Mother Superior's think? :o

Tom