Coffee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Coffee

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:All coffee is rubbish.
But I love it so much.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

s1m0n wrote:All coffee is rubbish.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; even if they're wrong.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I`ve never had a cup of coffee in my life. The taste is too awful. I get that it makes you stoned, but how can you choke it down? It`s disgusting.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tor

Post by Tor »

Coffee doesn't get you stoned. And many things taste awful the first time, particularly anything with a bitter taste. Like olives. I've never heard anyone liking olives from the start. But then suddenly something switches.. and from then on you love them.
Heck, I couldn't stand pizza the first time I tried (which was when I was around 10). That changed too...
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

s1m0n wrote:The taste is too awful. I get that it makes you stoned, but how can you choke it down? It`s disgusting.
That's just, like, your opinion, man...

And no, there's no stoning involved; it's rather the opposite of a stoning effect, considering that the compound typically associated with said effect, THC, is a psychoactive cannabinoid, whereas caffeine, the principle affecting compound in coffee, is a stimulant.

I've been a coffee drinker since I was 12. For me, aside from it tasting wonderful, every time I drink it, a small part of my mind is back at the kitchen counter with my dad.
Now if you'll excuse me, I really think I should call home...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. The taste is too awful.
You should read your words and repent, I thought, for how can you know the taste of what you never had? Then I realised you probably just couldn't finish it (thus "never had a cup"); you'd have taken a sip, spat it out, and left the rest for us addicts to squabble over. Well, let me tell you something: Even a junkie thinks about backwash.
s1m0n wrote:I get that it makes you stoned...
Your stooping to this level of exaggeration makes me question what exactly it is you do get.
s1m0n wrote:...but how can you choke it down? It's disgusting.
If all else fails, just lie back and think of England.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Good coffee is delicious. ☺
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Good coffee is delicious. ☺
It is, and that is why I think it must have been a bad cup that formed s1m0n's attitude. I'd hate to think it was just him. :wink:

But one has to admit it can be an acquired taste. I always loved the smell as a child, yet the flavor struck me as jarringly unlike the aroma and at cross-purposes with itself. But then, that was the golden age of electric percolators too, so 'nuff said, I suppose. Actually, I never really became a complete convert until the drip process. Now, for me your good cup is a glimmering pool of umami with enough bitterness to make it elegant. And the lift you get doesn't hurt, either.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I drank Air Force coffee (better than Navy swill but not by much) for decades so my taste in coffee if probably twisted. With that in mind, what brands of coffee do you buy off the shelf at the grocery store. Yeah, yeah, I know that buy-your-own-beans-and-grind-them-at-home is the way to go, but if you had to buy a can of coffee off the shelf, what would it be?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know that buy-your-own-beans-and-grind-them-at-home is the way to go, but if you had to buy a can of coffee off the shelf, what would it be?
Now you are asking for my darkest secrets. I would rather strip naked and be ridiculed for that than tell you.

But I've liked Lavazza quite a bit, and Cameron's is my favorite to date; a top-notch product, but too spendy for my means. And that leaves me in the coffee ghetto. I will go so far as to say that the guests haven't complained.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

walrii wrote:I drank Air Force coffee (better than Navy swill but not by much) for decades so my taste in coffee if probably twisted. With that in mind, what brands of coffee do you buy off the shelf at the grocery store. Yeah, yeah, I know that buy-your-own-beans-and-grind-them-at-home is the way to go, but if you had to buy a can of coffee off the shelf, what would it be?
We never buy instant coffee, if that's what you mean. And, for the house, we never buy ground coffee either. We buy ground coffee for my office. I'm not sure what they buy for that, but we're about to get a grinder for there as well and switch to buying only beans for the office as well.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

For a long time at work I was not at liberty to leave my work station to get well brewed coffee. I could make boiling water, but only just that, so I had to fall back on (horrors!) instant coffee. My compromise was to use Medaglia d'Oro which is an espresso instant.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I love coffee. I can drink it black, but I like just a trace of milk or cream. I drink 3 cups of caffeinated before noon and usually a cup or 2 of decaf before bedtime. If I can't sleep, I make a cup of decaf and it settles me down. There's a brewer at work. At home, I use a french press when I have time and, I confess, a K-Cup brewer when I have less time. I object on many grounds (a-hem) to the K-Cup system. Except when I need a cup of coffee right now.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

All this talk of whole beans is making me think of going back to that; I would need a better grinder, though. The one I have is one of those spinny blender-bladed types that makes an unacceptably irregular grind every time.

Come to think of it, I'd have to get a new one anyway: I recently used mine to grind up a mess of dried hot peppers, so I'd never use it for coffee now.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Good coffee is delicious. ☺
It is, and that is why I think it must have been a bad cup that formed s1m0n's attitude.
Nope. I've tried many, many times to stomach the evil fluid, and it's always horrible. I'd rather drink diesel.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis