Cats and Dogs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Cats and Dogs

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:thar's a man that's never met a musical that he liked...
What can I say? Guilty as charged. But Cats is the nadir of them all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

It's OK to dislike something that other people enjoy. However, the fact remains that "Cats" has been one of the longest running shows in Broadway's history, winner of seven Tony awards including Best Musical. If that many people like it and see it again and again, it can't be that bad.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:If that many people like it and see it again and again, it can't be that bad.
Yeah, I know. On the one hand there's that, and on the other, all the same it's one of those things that makes me think that the world is entirely off its rocker. I think I've got some kind of allergic reaction. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

I love "Cats," of course like all musicals I like I prefer to sing the alternative lyrics versions. Unfortunately the alternative version of "Cats" is not suitable for the Pub. But take the great American War Musical "North Pacific" as an example with the wonderful song "Salmon Chanted Evening" that's great stuff, operatic almost. The only song I haven't changed is "Pore Jud Is Daid" from "Okla-humma" it's perfect just the way it was written.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:I prefer to sing the alternative lyrics versions.
Oh, yes. I have to confess that I do thank musicals for that. One of my faves is "If Ever I Would Club You", from Camelot.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The one that makes me tear up from "Cats" is "Mammeries"