Cauliflower

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Cauliflower

Post by Lambchop »

I just want to point out that remoulade sauce is excellent on steamed cauliflower, and I am very unhappy to have run out. Barbecue sauce and mayonnaise, when mixed, turn out to be an unacceptable substitute, albeit the same color.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cauliflower

Post by mutepointe »

I looked that sauce up online. Aren't we really just talking about a snooty 1000 island dressing or should I say "Big Mac Sauce?"

I am baking breaded pork loin medallions over a bed of portella mushrooms. Salad on the side. Six minutes to go.
Last edited by mutepointe on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Umm, no islands. I thought it was more like mayo mixed with ketchup, but spicy. That's why I thought BBQ sauce would do it, but it didn't. Now that I looked it up, I see it has mustard and horseradish.

Your dinner sounds a lot more interesting than a head of steamed cauliflower.
Cotelette d'Agneau
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I prefer a little cider vinegar and in the old days butter and salt, on the califlower.
good luck on findin that sauce though.
shy the blond water
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I was raised with cheese sauce on cauliflower, but now I just like in blanched and plain.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I remember a few years ago when the Atkins/South Beach low carb craze was the in thing, there was a local restaurant (can't remember right now if it was Applebee's, Chili's, or Ruby Tuesday's) that had made this mashed cauliflower side item. It was meant to be a low carb alternative to mashed potatoes. That was some good stuff. I need to find a good recipe for that.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I was raised with cheese sauce on cauliflower, but now I just like in blanched and plain.
Coincidentally, cauliflower cheese is what I had for tea last night. Yummmmmmmm!!! :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I prefer my cauliflower sautéed with potatoes and panch foran. (That's kalonji,fennel, fenugreek, cummin and black mustard seed.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

My sister has been e-mailing about the wonderful pepe tunga they have been consuming down in NZ, I'm betting a sauce of that would taste good with cauliflower.
Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I prefer my cauliflower sautéed with potatoes and panch foran. (That's kalonji,fennel, fenugreek, cummin and black mustard seed.)

Ooooooooooh! Hark at 'im........'ain't you posh eh?

:D :D

PS Sounds delicious :)
Cheers

David

chas

Post by chas »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I prefer my cauliflower sautéed with potatoes and panch foran. (That's kalonji,fennel, fenugreek, cummin and black mustard seed.)
I like mine curried, with or without potatoes, kinda similar. I do the curry light on the sweeter spices, so light on the ginger, heavier on cumin, coriander, fenugreek. The sauce is lightly browned onions, yogurt, and a little water, just enough to coat everything with the spices.

I do like it with cheese sauce, but have to consider the lipid profile, which isn't getting any better with age.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I prefer to have cauliflower lightly steamed. However, when my wife cooks, she isn't very attentive to the stove (playing computer games, etc.), and I usually get (like last night) cauliflower mush.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Mushy vegetables are a Southern tradition. Unfortunately, I'm not from around here.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Mushy vegetables were my Gran's speciality. If the sprouts weren't on at the start of November they wouldn't be ready by Christmas Day.
Cheers

David

chas

Post by chas »

Once I was visiting my folks, and dinner was going to be spaghetti. My mother tossed the spag in the water at maybe 5:30. We usually eat at 6, so I asked if dinner was going to be early. She said, no, it was going to be late; the spaghetti needed to boil for 45 minutes(!). She added, "Al dente isn't in your father's vocabulary." He's the same with vegetables. Beans cook for 45 minutes, broccoli cooks for 45 minutes, asparagus, anything I can think of except corn on the cob. He's not from the South either; no idea where it came from.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.