question about evolution

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: question about evolution

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:Furthermore, in the vein of choosing sameness, sometimes the sameness to which we're attracted has less to do with facial shape than intellectual bent, or cultural assumptions.

♪♫ Some enchanted evening
You may see a stranger,
you may see a stranger
Across a crowded room
And somehow you know,
You know even then
That somewhere you'll see her
Again and again.
♪♫
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh, you've gone and done it again....

Please tell me which one is stranger than the other.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

You're on yer own, Grasshopper.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

*sigh* it is all so confusing *sigh*
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

That's an excellent example which only proves my point. Look at the eyes . . . they're nearly the same.

I'm surprised that you, Nano, of all people, resist the truth. Then again, you did say you were single.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:That's an excellent example which only proves my point. Look at the eyes . . . they're nearly the same.

I'm surprised that you, Nano, of all people, resist the truth. Then again, you did say you were single.
Er........what??
Denny

Post by Denny »

beneath that fuzzy exterior lurks a .....
dwest

Post by dwest »

One has eyes on sides of head=food, the other has binocular vision=eater of food.
Denny

Post by Denny »

so yer not bettin' on the rabbit?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Denny wrote:so yer not bettin' on the rabbit?
So that's what that thing is!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:One has eyes on sides of head=food, the other has binocular vision=eater of food.
Well, that's what I was thinking. But Lambchop's been given the sight to see things that I am apparently blind to in this case. Or one of us has better recreational substances. :wink:
john

Post by john »

one other question which i don't know the answer to
are human beings the only creature not to reject their offspring on the basis of malformity - i had a cat once who mated with her brother or at least that's what we think happened, and her kittens came out looking deformed and weak - she did not try to look after them and they all died - people on the other hand have the choice to love and cherish their offspring when they're born with down's syndrome, cerebral palsy or whatever - are we unique in this regard?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
dwest wrote:One has eyes on sides of head=food, the other has binocular vision=eater of food.
Well, that's what I was thinking. But Lambchop's been given the sight to see things that I am apparently blind to in this case. Or one of us has better recreational substances. :wink:
I consider rack of lamb on the grill a recreational substance. Notice the eye placement on sheep?
john wrote:one other question which i don't know the answer to
are human beings the only creature not to reject their offspring on the basis of malformity - i had a cat once who mated with her brother or at least that's what we think happened, and her kittens came out looking deformed and weak - she did not try to look after them and they all died - people on the other hand have the choice to love and cherish their offspring when they're born with down's syndrome, cerebral palsy or whatever - are we unique in this regard?
No humans aren't the only ones but we are the most successful at keeping our genetic mistakes alive. BTW single cat litters, from cats who are not monitored, often have multiple male donors. The possible reasons for a litter failure are legion, but a sibling mating is unlikely to be the cause.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, to my knowledge we are the only species that pretty routinely kills female children.
50,000,000 missing girls in India alone.
Genetic 'mistakes' are in the eye of the beholder, dontcha know.

http://wikigender.org/w/index.php/Missing_Women
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

mutepointe wrote:humans don't just base attractiveness on looks, especially facial features. we do have to explain larry king and henry kissinger. besides attractiveness, there is power, personality, intellect, smell, popularity, wealth, compatability, humor......i'm sure the list goes on and on with each variable having a different weight for each person at any particular moment in time and in their lives.
I agree with Mute.

I also find it interesting that emotional intimacy increases the feeling of physical attractiveness. There is nothing more beautiful than the face of someone I love, whether it's my spouse, children, or close friends. When I first met my future spouse, I didn't think "what a beautiful face." Now I look at his face (probably even less "objectively beautiful" now, if there is such a thing) and it's very attractive to me. When I didn't really know him, I looked at his face and just saw his face. Now I look his face and I see HIM. (insert mushy-romantic emoticon)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam