Studying overseas, your experience?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Studying overseas, your experience?

Post by BillChin »

One of my relatives is going to study abroad for a year. He is going to be 19 years old, and going to study business in China for a year. He also has a birthday coming.

There are more than a few worldly types on this forum. Do you have any stories to share about your own year of study abroad, or long term trips, or any of your kids that did that?

Any devices, or travel aides that you found particularly useful that didn't seem obvious at the time that might make a nice birthday gift?
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Studying overseas, your experience?

Post by emmline »

My daughter spent a semester in The Gambia last year. It was a great experience but I'm struggling to think of ways it might compare to a year abroad in China...
A lot of what her group did was lie in hammocks on the beach drinking Julbrews. They did enjoy being immersed in local culture (Her college owns a house in a Serrekunda neighborhood, so they'd patronize the local tailors for handmade clothing, and neighbor children would come over to play with the "toubabs," etc.)

The main relevant point I can think of is that ATM cards are indispensable.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

My daughter spent her Junior year as over seas student from UC Berkeley to UCC Cork., Ireland. She had a great time. So did I :-)
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

fel bautista wrote:My daughter spent her Junior year as over seas student from UC Berkeley to UCC Cork., Ireland. She had a great time. So did I :-)
Seriously, my wife and I wanted our kids to go overseas during their academic career. Who knew if they could do it again in their later years. I think students abroad is one the best ways to get them out of comfortable mindset and allow them to cope and grow. One went to UCC Cork, the other to Frankfurt ( not as interesting as Cork , for me) I know both girls came back with a bigger view of the world and gave that world view to their brother, who did not want to travel, much less leave the country, until senior year in college. Recommend the experience.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The main mistake Americans make is going over equipped. Usually the things you need,
including clothes, are available where you go, cheap and better looking than what you take.
Generally the idea is to go and live there as people there live and blend in as best you can.
This especially pertains to the Asia and the third world.

For example, in Sri Lanka you get western clothes from a tailor, who makes them to fit you,
and so they look better than our clothes. And they're cheaper. Generally western clothes
in Asia look better than they do here, because they aren't ready made.

Just go with as little as you can and live there as if you were one of them. Life is generally a good
deal easier away from the West, even (especially) in poorer countries.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Don't let 'em call you 'foxy'.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

My experience is that I would no more study and attend class overseas as I did on the mainland. And homework? Forgettaboutit.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

On the subject--Lots of growing up may happen, awfully and unexpectedly...
Case in point:
My oldest daughter, 23, has almost completed her Masters in Teaching and is currently in Costa Rica teaching English and Science to students in a small town school which is under the thumb of a very corrupt principal who, apparently, takes all money donated for improvements and pockets it.
Worse, last night the 23 yo son of her host family, who is married and has a 5 year old daughter, was killed in a random mugging by a recently escaped convict and his accomplice. (Both now apprehended.) My daughter is with a tight group--5 of her fellow students, under the loose sponsorship of a faculty member on sabbatical in the town where they're interning. This is how the arrangements for their internships were made. They are in what is, supposedly, a very low-crime area, and this murder occurred during an all-town fiesta, between her host family's home, and the school where she's teaching. Her group knows to exercise caution and take their one token male student with them as needed. (Heckling of females is quite bothersome there.)
Anyway, the point is that kids abroad need to exercise care and keep their wits about them. No complacence allowed. And parents of kids abroad need to know that they are so out from under your dominion, you might as well relax and accept it.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

BillChin wrote:Any devices, or travel aides that you found particularly useful that didn't seem obvious at the time that might make a nice birthday gift?
If it were my relative going, I would give a "gift certificate" entitling the recipient to ask me to send over care packages during the year filled with little things that are scarce or impossible to find in the new country. When I would visit the US while living in the UK I found myself stocking up on goodies such as my favorite brands of toothpaste/deodorant, cookies and candies that I missed, the occasional specialty toiletry or first aid item*, and staple foodstuffs like Campbell's chicken noodle soup and baked beans. I could have gotten local equivalents of all of these items, but sometimes that extra touch of home can make a person feel better after a hard day.

As I didn't have any close relatives who could send me those things in the years when I wasn't visiting the states, I had to ask favors of friends. One or two friends made it clear that any time I needed something I should let them know, and I was very grateful that they were willing to do that for me.

* A few years back I sprained my finger quite badly. It was then that I discovered that those cool metal-and-foam finger splints, so easily found in US grocery store first aid sections, are not available in the UK. It would have saved me a few painful weeks if I'd had them to hand!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

BillChin wrote:Any devices, or travel aides that you found particularly useful that didn't seem obvious at the time that might make a nice birthday gift?
Toilets of the World ~ Morna E. Gregory

...or perhaps some other travel guide.

Really, learning to use a squat toilet on a moving train first should be avoided.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

emmline wrote:... And parents of kids abroad need to know that they are so out from under your dominion, you might as well relax and accept it.
That's part of the reason we stressed going abroad...mommy and daddy aren't there, a car drive away. Of course, in my cas, I was an 8 hr flight away and had THE best time. Pub crawling with your daughter at 3AM and having fried chicken (NOT KFC) says it all.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

also if you go far away, especially to Third World, and stay a longtime, and then return to the USA, you see it for the first time. especially you see what you took for granted.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I was twelve when I moved to the Philippines, just as they were coming out of a long period of martial law and being ruled by decree. Jim Stone is right. Just relax and don't try to be over-prepared. No sense getting all tensed up. I wish I could get tailoring done that readily here in America!
Reasonable person
Walden