I hate the cold

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: I hate the cold

Post by dwest »

So England protected most of Ireland?
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

some things just don't sound right :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

dwest wrote:
yours truly wrote:Jet Stream?
Gulf Stream, not the plane.
That's the one I was trying to think of.
Danke.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I live in Birmingham, Alabama. Deep south. At this writing, it is 16 degrees F with winds at about 12 MPH.

Let me tell you about my week. Forecasters here were predicting an inch of snow on Thursday. Some predictions were that we could get as much as 2 inches of snow. As a result, some school systems in the area went ahead and closed Thursday and today. I am the weather officer for my school district. There are 11 school districts in the county. Most closed Thursday. We opened school and, along with two other school districts, opted to close early--at 11:30. By late yesterday, it was clear that we got snow flurries in the afternoon, barely a dusting of snow, and only minor and highly isolated problems with roads. Today we will open school at 10:00 a.m. Huge amounts of manpower and disruptions were involved across the region for this non-event.

For people in places that get more wintry weather, this may seem like lunacy which, of course, it sort of is. However, because snow is relatively rare here, when it does occur, there's no equipment to clear streets and so a 2 inch snow can actually paralyze travel. Also, people don't know how to drive in it, because they have little experience. Complicating things further, once in a while we get walloped. An unforecasted rush-hour ice storm in 1981 or so; a blizzard in 1993 that dumped 15 inches of snow overnight. Power outages that last several days, etc.

Anyway, I ramble. I'm reminded that a friend of mine moved here from Chicago and had spent no time in the South. She sold her coats and winter clothes. Gets down here and February rolls around and it's 17 degrees outside. She felt a bit foolish.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Dale wrote:I live in Birmingham, Alabama. Deep south. At this writing, it is 16 degrees F with winds at about 12 MPH.

Let me tell you about my week. Forecasters here were predicting an inch of snow on Thursday. Some predictions were that we could get as much as 2 inches of snow. As a result, some school systems in the area went ahead and closed Thursday and today. I am the weather officer for my school district. There are 11 school districts in the county. Most closed Thursday. We opened school and, along with two other school districts, opted to close early--at 11:30. By late yesterday, it was clear that we got snow flurries in the afternoon, barely a dusting of snow, and only minor and highly isolated problems with roads. Today we will open school at 10:00 a.m. Huge amounts of manpower and disruptions were involved across the region for this non-event.

For people in places that get more wintry weather, this may seem like lunacy which, of course, it sort of is. However, because snow is relatively rare here, when it does occur, there's no equipment to clear streets and so a 2 inch snow can actually paralyze travel. Also, people don't know how to drive in it, because they have little experience. Complicating things further, once in a while we get walloped. An unforecasted rush-hour ice storm in 1981 or so; a blizzard in 1993 that dumped 15 inches of snow overnight. Power outages that last several days, etc.

Anyway, I ramble. I'm reminded that a friend of mine moved here from Chicago and had spent no time in the South. She sold her coats and winter clothes. Gets down here and February rolls around and it's 17 degrees outside. She felt a bit foolish.
This is exactly the problem much of the UK has. We usually only get snow a couple of times a year and it's a light dusting. So most councils, especially in the south of England, don't invest in resources to clear snow from the roads or educate drivers on how to drive in the white stuff. That means any significant snowfall will paralyse the roads network and close schools.

We're marginally better up here and in the highlands, as the council areas here include mountain regions and areas which regularly get large amounts of snowfall every year. We also get more low level snowfall each year than other parts of the country, so when we get large amounts of snow like we have recently everything pretty much carries on as normal. Large numbers of schools are still closed but roads and businesses are still operating. Only very remote, exposed routes have been closed for long periods of time.

But there are still loads of drivers who don't have a clue how to drive in the conditions. Or think it's an appropriate time to play at being a rally driver (like the idiot in a BMW that I've spotted twice driving sideways up my street just because it's got lots of snow on it).
dwest

Post by dwest »

Dale wrote:
Also, people don't know how to drive in it, because they have little experience.
I am not sure just how good some people's skill sets are during that first snow of the season in Wisconsin. I frequently saw people I knew who drove like they had never seen snow before. Granted they were usually fine after a day or two. I have noticed the same problem with drivers and rainfall in some parts of the country, like El Paso, Tx where rain can be a rare experience.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

In addition to torpid iguanas, we now have hypothermic sea turtles. Rescue operations are in progress. Several hundred manatees are enjoying the hot-springs effect of the coolant outflow at the power plant. If you go to visit them, they would enjoy a few heads of lettuce.

The local paper has published instructions for dealing with the cold. You would not think people had to be told these things, but we lead a sheltered existence here. The 15 items included how to scrape ice off a windshield and a recommendation that you not pour hot water on it, a recommendation that one keep antifreeze in the car engine and why, a discussion of the types of windshield washer fluids and that you might need a below-32 degree type, how to avoid being shocked by static, the suggestion that fashion boots do no good, what to do about water pipes, and a sincere suggestion that a coat might be advisable. There was also a remedy for dry, itchy skin, and . . . my favorite . . . a warning that snot will freeze on your face without your being aware of it.
Cotelette d'Agneau
dwest

Post by dwest »

Lambchop wrote: Several hundred manatees are enjoying the hot-springs effect of the coolant outflow at the power plant. If you go to visit them, they would enjoy a few heads of lettuce.
But please, no iceberg or northern lights swiss chard.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:...and . . . my favorite . . . a warning that snot will freeze on your face without your being aware of it.
And people wonder why we Northerly types are picking our noses all the time.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
Lambchop wrote:...and . . . my favorite . . . a warning that snot will freeze on your face without your being aware of it.
I always use the fake cough method for picking, unfortunately my aim in flicking isn't completely accurate. :oops: And I guess it must be more noticeable when it's frozen.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I see on CNN that it got down to 47 in Key West.
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I always use the fake cough method for picking, unfortunately my aim in flicking isn't completely accurate. :oops: And I guess it must be more noticeable when it's frozen.
You know it's cold when you do the ol' farmer blow and it hits the ground with a clink.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Charlene wrote:I see on CNN that it got down to 47 in Key West.
I was in Key West in January of 1981. We were camping on a key just north of Bahia Honda and drove down to Key West that morning in tee shirts, shorts, and sandals. We were birding at the cemetery when I noticed an incredibly dark storm front bearing down on us from the north. Thirty minutes later it went from about 72 °F to 41 °F and the wind was blowing a gale. Couldn't even find a sweat shirt to buy.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: You know it's cold when you do the ol' farmer blow and it hits the ground with a clink.
That's not cold. Cold is when it takes your nose hairs with it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya just gotta start slow and warm things up before ya let go :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.