free pedigree software?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: free pedigree software?

Post by cowtime »

Jack wrote:just as smaller dogs live longer than larger dogs.
Not quite right there. Size is a factor in that many of the large breeds do have a shorter life expectancy but there are plenty of breeds that are of vastly differing sizes that have the same average life span. Chalk that up to breed type/genetic tendancies, typical life styles. Granted many of the smaller breeds are among the longest lived, but not necessarily all.
Oh, and your average life span of the great Heinz 57 is 13 yrs.
I found the following on good old Wiki and it jives with what I know about their lifespans, so seems about right to me...

Sorted by expectancy
Exp.
(yrs) Breeds
6 Bulldog, Irish Wolfhound
7 Bernese Mountain Dog
8 Bullmastiff, Great Dane
9 Doberman Pinscher, Flat-Coated Retriever, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Scottish Deerhound
10 Boxer, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, English Toy Spaniel, German Shepherd, Norfolk Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Weimaraner
11 Airedale Terrier, Corgi, English Cocker Spaniel, English Setter, Gordon Setter, Irish Setter, Old English Sheepdog, Samoyed, Welsh Springer Spaniel
12 Afghan Hound, Basset Hound, Bearded Collie, Bull Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, German Shorthaired Pointer, Golden Retrievers, Irish Red and White Setter, Labrador Retriever, Lurcher, Rough Collie, Scottish Terrier, Standard Poodle, Viszla, West Highland White Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier
13 Beagle, Border Collie, Border Terrier, Cairn Terrier, Chihuahua, Chow Chow, Dalmatian, English Springer Spaniel, Greyhound, Jack Russell Terrier, Pekingese, Random-bred/Mongrel, Shetland Sheepdog, Shih Tzu, Wire Fox Terrier, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
14 Bedlington Terrier, Miniature Dachshund, Miniature Poodle, Pomeranian, Tibetan Terrier, Toy Poodle, Whippet,
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Of course there are exceptions and statistical outliers. Some white people live longer than some Japanese people. Some breeds of larger dogs live longer than some breeds of smaller dogs, but over all, smaller dogs live longer.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Denny wrote:wot? Pippin & Mary? Hobbits? :lol: Shirley :lol:

da wife wit Team Hobbit
Are they American Shetlands?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Pippin, on the left, is half Arab/half Shetland
Mary, on Pippin's right, is (best rumor at this point) a Shetland/Hackney cross

they're both 11.3 hands (47 inches)

Pippin has always been Pippin, he was breed by one of the universities for testing....he refused to contact whatever disease they wanted him to host and was thrown out of school and bounced around for a couple of years until we got him. We taught him to drive single the 1st year with us. The second year he spent a bit of time as half if a mismatched team.

Mary was a rescue, she was later rescued from the original rescuers.... She is much older than Pippin and has obviously been a cart show pony. She's had a rough time in between but her weight and attitude is much better since she's moved here. She came without a name and with only a vague history.
It's a small world about here....I'm sure we will find out her story in the next couple of years. :D

what's an American Shetland? :lol: I'll Google after I post the APoD

now ya've done it....
the wife called her a Modern Shetland 'cause she's got hackney
the Shetland site calls her an American show pony 'cause she's got hackney

we're wrappin' day 3 of a 4 day weekend.....I'm not gonna mention it :D
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Denny wrote:Pippin, on the left, is half Arab/half Shetland
Mary, on Pippin's right, is (best rumor at this point) a Shetland/Hackney cross

they're both 11.3 hands (47 inches)

Pippin has always been Pippin, he was breed by one of the universities for testing....he refused to contact whatever disease they wanted him to host and was thrown out of school and bounced around for a couple of years until we got him. We taught him to drive single the 1st year with us. The second year he spent a bit of time as half if a mismatched team.

Mary was a rescue, she was later rescued from the original rescuers.... She is much older than Pippin and has obviously been a cart show pony. She's had a rough time in between but her weight and attitude is much better since she's moved here. She came without a name and with only a vague history.
It's a small world about here....I'm sure we will find out her story in the next couple of years. :D

what's an American Shetland? :lol: I'll Google after I post the APoD

now ya've done it....
the wife called her a Modern Shetland 'cause she's got hackney
the Shetland site calls her an American show pony 'cause she's got hackney

we're wrappin' day 3 of a 4 day weekend.....I'm not gonna mention it :D

Who's the good lookin' one with the Red hair?

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

Denny wrote:da wife wit Team Hobbit
Adena,

Adams at first :D