Leonard Cohen Live in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Leonard Cohen Live in London

Post by Dale »

The great Leonard Cohen is on a world tour. At age, what, 74? So, I bought the DVD, Leonard Cohen Live in London, also available as a 2CD set. This is a performance from last summer. Just watched it for the first time and it's astounding. Terrific band, so many of the great songs, and Leonard in fine voice. (Well, it IS Leonard Cohen, so these things are relative.) Can't imagine that any Cohen fan would be disappointed. I love it.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Leonard Cohen Live in London

Post by s1m0n »

I haven't seen the DVD, but the 2 CD Live in London set is excellent. I think I have everything else that's in print, including at least 2 (or maybe 3) other live albums, and this one takes the cake.

Everytime I play it I feel kinder and kinder towards that manager who stole all his money.

This is a bit black, but I hope he survives til the end of the tour. He has new songs, and about half a record's worth are already recorded, but he's enjoying this band so much that he plans to take them into the studio and start over. I'm dying to hear it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

s1m0n wrote:I haven't seen the DVD, but the 2 CD Live in London set is excellent. I think I have everything else that's in print, including at least 2 (or maybe 3) other live albums, and this one takes the cake.

Everytime I play it I feel kinder and kinder towards that manager who stole all his money.

This is a bit black, but I hope he survives til the end of the tour. He has new songs, and about half a record's worth are already recorded, but he's enjoying this band so much that he plans to take them into the studio and start over. I'm dying to hear it.
I'm not sure how apparent it is in audio only, but watching the DVD allows you to see how much he is enjoying the band.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dale,

Where did you find that DVD? My parents love Cohen. I'll order them a copy.

Thanks!
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm

Post by djm »

Isn't it wonderful how old folks' music is priced for seniors?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Mrs Pixyy and I were at his Copenhagen concert last summer.
Absolutely wonderful. He thanked all the fans for keeping his songs alive for so many years (since playing live) and said he wasn't sure when next they would be around these parts again :)

looking forward to see the dvd.

Mr. Cohen's music has been part of my life in so many ways, I was very grateful to see him in concert.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

On this DVD he says, "I haven't been on stage like this for 15 years. Back then, I was 60 years old. Just a kid with a dream."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks. I found 1 there for like 12 bucks. Image DVD sent.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

On Friday, NPR's "Fresh Air" rebroadcast Terri Gross's 2006 interview with Cohen. Very enjoyable. You can listen to it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =102692227

Best wishes,
Jerry