Geek help ASAP please!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Geek help ASAP please!

Post by susnfx »

It's been so long since I've done this that I've completely forgotten how:

When I want to post a link to something but not show the entire link in the post, how do I name it something else?

For instance, if I wanted to post a very long link to a magazine article, how do I hide the link with "click here"?

Susan
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Geek help ASAP please!

Post by MTGuru »

Code: Select all

[url=http://myvery-long-url/]Click here[/url]
Which gives: Click here
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Thanks so much - no wonder they put you in charge occasionally!

Susan
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Next question, MTGuru, when you're showing the code like that without it actually performing the code, is it as simple as surrounding it all with a

?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Thomaston wrote:Next question, MTGuru, when you're showing the code like that without it actually performing the code, is it as simple as surrounding it all with a

?
Haha, I think I answered my own question when the post ended up looking like that!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

susnfx wrote:Thanks so much - no wonder they put you in charge occasionally!

Susan
Hmmph. His link is bad. Guru, indeed. :P
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Actually, the site I needed it for uses another code--didn't matter anyway. I was trying to link to a photo album and it won't let me because the album is "private." Going to have to think about this...do I really want every photo I take floating around on PhotoBucket (even though I don't name or tag them in any way, so I don't think anybody could find one of my photos unless by chance)?

Susan
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well ye don't have to put all of 'em on a file sharing site; just the ones you want to share.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

I would think you would be able to create Public folders and Private folders so you could share what you want with whom.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What that site may want is the HTML version, which looks like this:

<a href="http://myvery-long-url">Click here</a>
I forget what the A means. Href is Hypertext Reference. Then you have the stuff that you want to link to, connected to the href. Outside the angle brackets is the stuff you want to be clickable, then you end the whole command with a backslash and the original a that opened it.

You can use other commands similarly. Inside those angled brackets, a B makes things bold, I makes them italic, and U makes them underlined. In those cases you don't need the href part. Just

<b>bold text</b>
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

avanutria wrote:What that site may want is the HTML version
Yes, good point. The square bracket stuff like [url] and [img] is BBCode, not HTML, and is specific to phpBB boards like the Chiffboard. General HTML is actually banned in version 3 of phpBB for security reasons.

For the built-in Guide to BBCode, see: faq.php?mode=bbcode

Or from the Posting screen (new topic or reply), click the BBCode link under Options.

In HTML, the <a> is the Anchor tag. It's usually used with the href=target modifier to create a hyperlink, but not always.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

susnfx wrote:Actually, the site I needed it for uses another code--didn't matter anyway. I was trying to link to a photo album and it won't let me because the album is "private." Going to have to think about this...do I really want every photo I take floating around on PhotoBucket (even though I don't name or tag them in any way, so I don't think anybody could find one of my photos unless by chance)
Weren't you just talking about creating a website?
You could upload your picture files to that space
and link to them from anywhere without any
photobucket rules.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I set up a blog which is working very well and I'm pleased with it; however, I quickly realized the photos I was posting of artwork were going to be archived each month. I could create a "gadget" where I could say: Click here to see more of my colored pencil artwork, with "here" being the link. Beth is correct about what the site required for it to work. My photos are currently uploaded into PhotoBucket because it's the easiest place to use them for an art website I use a LOT. I discovered after about two hours of frustration that they wouldn't become my "here" link because my albums were private, not public. PhotoBucket gives me two options: public, private. They're either all public or all private. They have a "nobody can right click and copy your photos" option which I took, but it doesn't keep more knowledgeable people from getting copies in PhotoBucket and for all I know you can get them from the blog. I guess nothing I've done is that sacred.

I decided to let them be public for one reason: I don't tag or name my photos. Someone would really only come across them very accidentally--not by searching (I did tag a couple for a specific reason, but wrote the tags in such a way that it would be unlikely anybody searching those terms would find them). .... sudden paranoia ... can you search PhotoBucket by user name??? Going off to check ...

Here's what it's looking like thus far (keep in mind it's really intended for family/friends):

http://susnfx.blogspot.com/

And now the real me is found out!

Anyway, it appears to be working right now and so far is no problem. It's fine for what I want. Thanks for the help everybody!

Susan
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Susan, I believe there is a way to set a blog so only certain people can access it. A friend of mine did it after her divorce. If you want me to ask her how she set it up, let me know!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Thanks, Beth, but I'm not that concerned about it. A tiny little blog like mine in the midst of the billions of pages on the internet isn't going to amount to anything--can't imagine anyone with evil designs would give a second thought to mine. I'm just going to see how it goes for a bit. Blogger gives me the info on how to make it private. Thanks, though!

Susan