Speeding up the old desktop XP computer...help

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Speeding up the old desktop XP computer...help

Post by Jayhawk »

That's a kind offer, but I don't want to take apart the tower...that'd disturb the dust holding the beastie together. :P

Adding RAM seems like more work than it's worth to me - especially since I really don't plan on keeping the old girl too much longer.

I'll try my software changes and see if that helps. If not, the kid can suffer with slowness until we get a new laptop...then he'll truly appreciate it.

Eric
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Jayhawk wrote:That's a kind offer, but I don't want to take apart the tower...that'd disturb the dust holding the beastie together. :P

Adding RAM seems like more work than it's worth to me - especially since I really don't plan on keeping the old girl too much longer.

I'll try my software changes and see if that helps. If not, the kid can suffer with slowness until we get a new laptop...then he'll truly appreciate it.

Eric
You are certainly welcome to them if they are the right ones, should you decide to brave the dustbunnies (or dust jack-rabbits maybe)!

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

First and formost: Perform a re-format of the hard drive and a complete reinstall of XP. It's the only way to be certain you have gotten rid of any hidden beasties that may be causing the system to hang or slow. It's extremely simple to do, and only takes a bit of time...no major software or programing experience required. Just back everything else up someplace first!

Second: Get more RAM. Just DO it. I'm surprised your video card even turns on with that little! ;) Does the dial-up modem still work too? he he he If your machine is as old as all that, you can very likely find RAM and next to nothing - or even free. It would take you all of about two minutes to put it in - maybe three if you can't find the right sized screwdriver to pull the side panel. Easy and fast.

Third: I would dump the anti-virus stuff. I've never had it catch much of anything worth catching in almost ten years. But it is almost always a M-A-J-O-R resource hog and will slow a system like yours to an absolute crawl I would expect. Unless you're in a position to need to be visiting questionable sites frequently, I would be very cautious about what programs I installed, and how active I allowed them to be - even in the background.

Whatever you end up doing...good luck!
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested cleaning up the registry. I'ev used registryfix (www.registryfix.com) on a number of XP computers and a very old Win98 machine that had become unbelievably sluggish and it has worked wonders.

Yes it costs money but to me worth far more than the $40 odd I paid. And you'll be able to use it on your new machine too - so far as I know it runs on Vista too.

Maybe there are free utilities that do the same, I don't know.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Steve - CCleaner has a registry clean-up, but I've been afraid of messing with those items.

Maybe I'll give it a try later.

Eric
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I use a free utility called MTGuru. :P Every now and then I go in and clean and compact the registry manually. Been running the same NT4 machine since 1999 with no reformats or reinstalls. Not recommended for the faint of heart.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.