Compact Flourescents

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Compact Flourescents

Post by WyoBadger »

Is it just me, or do these things seem to burn out just as fast as regular bulbs (not to mention causing one heck of a mini-disaster if they break)?

Anybody else experience this? (how many badgers does it take to change a lightbulb?)

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Compact Flourescents

Post by chas »

I've had decidedly mixed results. I got some pretty expensive CF floods all of which burned out within a year. Those that I replaced them with, a big pack from Sam's, are going strong. I have some in living room lamps that have been going for years.

One thing, if you have lights that your turn on and off frequently, say in bathrooms, those should get incandescents since cycling puts more stress on CFLs.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwest

Post by dwest »

My experience has generally been very good. I have some bulbs in my exterior lamps by the front door that burn every night 24/7 that are years old. They take awhile to get up to full brightness. Actually we don't have incandescents in the house except for a 3-way bulb in a living room floor lamp that only gets used when we have company and my microscopes. Even our ceiling fans use fluorescents some of which are pushing 4-5 years of age I think. Again a number of them have the older ballasts which take longer to warm up to full brightness. I even use fluorescent flood lights for the back yard
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ditto on the long life for CFs. Perhaps you bought a bad batch or poor brand. I have no incandescents left in the house. Another possibility is that the voltage is not at a level that the CFs like. I know that some lighting fixtures are not compatible with CFs, or have a second cycle that must be switched to for use with CFs.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

djm wrote:Another possibility is that the voltage is not at a level that the CFs like. I know that some lighting fixtures are not compatible with CFs, or have a second cycle that must be switched to for use with CFs.
That is sort of what I was wondering. My father and father in law are both electricians, but neither of us inherited the gene...
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I've had good results so far. I started using them a couple of years ago and have only lost three so far (which I still have in a box so I can dispose of them in an environmentally-safe manner later). Also, there is a noticeable drop in my electric bills.

According to my digital multimeter, my house power usually runs around 125-130v, so it eats incandescent bulbs like candy. :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
emmline

Post by emmline »

Mixed results, similar to those cited above.
In the 16 yo kid's room, ceiling fixture, they lasted <1 year. The ones in the front porch light and lamp post have lasted several years so far, and do take a minute to reach full strength.
I have on hand, recently purchased, 2 minis which are labeled "warm light" as opposed to cool, and sooner or later I will try them out in
some fixture to see whether I find the light more pleasant than I find fluorescents in general. Which is to say, not very pleasant.
I'm kind of hoping that the LED technology will become more affordable and available.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yeah, don't break 'em. Really. You're supposed to open the windows and leave the room for 15 minutes, then come back to clean up and there are special techniques you're supposed to use. It's a pain.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

My first one died after two weeks. No other bulbs have burned out since then, so I haven't put the others into action... but I don't have high hopes.

I try not to turn on many lights at a time in the house anyway, so I'm sure it'll make a difference but not a huge one.
William Bajzek
ElaineT

Post by ElaineT »

I've gotten very good life and results with the spiral CF bulbs. I felt like I was replacing incandescents all the time and the CF bulbs last and last.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have been using them for the last 7 years (i think) when I moved 4 years ago I switched out the lights as they burned out on the fixtures and had brought some lamps with old CF lights in them. In my experience the bulbs last several times longer. This means that I do not have to find something to stand on and switch out the bulb as often. One of the major reasons I switched over was due to the size of my first apartment. Normal lights heated the place up in the summer and the CF bulbs did not.

Over all, I think that CH have advantages and disadvantages. Halogen lights give off a light that I like better than CF, and last longer than incandescent and use electricity more efficiently. LEDs will be the best tech in the long run, but right now, their light is harsh and the bulbs are very expensive.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I had one burn out just last week that didn't last a bit longer than a regular bulb. I really really don't like them. They are a problem if they break and I hate the light they produce. I won't buy anymore when the ones I now have are gone. I'd rather replace a regular old bulb and pay a bit more in electricity than deal with that light.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

In my experience, if you turn them on and off as frequently as most incandescent bulbs are cycled, they don't last as long as an incandescent bulb.

If you leave them on, they can last for a long time.

Unfortunately, the quality of light which they produce is inferior and not comfortable to read by, which for our family means they won't get used much except for porch lights and utility lights.

Even the ones whose packages are marked "soft, warm light" in reality produce a cold harsh glare, under which colors are off, and which is headache-inducing when you try to read by it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I think I still have one of the first compact fluorescent bulbs I bought over a decade ago.

Some brands do tend to burn out quickly. A couple lasted less than a month. There doesn't seem a sure way to know except trial and error.

Some locales are banning the production of the incandescent bulbs. In a few years, I expect some locales will ban the usage of incandescent bulbs for some applications as well. It is the way the tide is moving.

The new thing is LED bulbs. I don't have any of those yet.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

They're quite dim when they're cold. In my workshop I have one and I have a little procedure for warming it up quicker. I take the propane torch and very quickly wave it across the bulb and the little extra bit of heat help ionize the gas better and brightens up the room quickly.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D