Venus, Jupiter and the Moon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Venus, Jupiter and the Moon

Post by BrassBlower »

Both of these pictures were taken about 6:00 PM Central Standard (U.S.) Time, 01-Dec-2008, facing southwest.

https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Denny

Re: Venus, Jupiter and the Moon

Post by Denny »

Nice!

It did quit raining long enough for a tub....sat and watched the light pollution off the cloud cover :sniffle:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

I took a picture of the grazing occultation at much the same time, but, as usual, can't upload it! Photobucket hates me! It is a bit shaky anyway, due to my shaky hands, but it is visible! I tried!
Lesley
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Nice pictures all around! :)

I have a question...what type of camera do you need to take crisp pictures at night like these? Mine just can't do it, and I'm sure it has something to do with megapixels or something like that; at least something that my camera doesn't have in abundance or doesn't have at all.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You need a solid tripod for one I'd think. You also may need to alter the exposure : I had mine set to 1.7 stop below what the camera intended to do on it's own, to make for a black sky and to avoid completely burning out the lights while retaining a bit of detail in the shards of cloud.
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

http://search.live.com/images/results.a ... dlt=strict#

I set mine on a tripod, used the auto focus and white-balance, and set it for a 10-second delay.

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

If you have not got a tripod handy use a wall or a dustbin. Anything solid will do. A delay is essential to avoid any camera shake.

Here's a few using the "Wall" tripod.

Pics

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I was pretty bummed about the cloud cover, but it broke at just the right time and I was able to see the night sky. It was beautiful!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

dubhlinn wrote: Here's a few using the "Wall" tripod.

Pics

Slan,
D.
Neat! :D

I like that one of the "Eye".
Tyghress wrote:I was pretty bummed about the cloud cover, but it broke at just the right time and I was able to see the night sky. It was beautiful!
I was worried as well, because at 5:00 and 5:30, there was a persistent stratus deck to the southwest, right where I wanted to look. Fortunately, it blew off right after sunset.

If you look very closely at my first photo, you can probably still see a few clouds.

-Galileo
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: Here's a few using the "Wall" tripod.
In other words, you had your camera propped against a wall? Interesting...and exposures. I would assume that this is something I can alter on my camera, yes? And yes, I really am that clueless about the use of my camera. It's even worse than my clueless-ness concerning my computer ;)

Sorry about hijacking the thread, btw. I did get to see Venus, Jupiter and the moon last night as I drove home. Very beautiful! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.