A disappearing star, a shooting star or both?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: A disappearing star, a shooting star or both?

Post by Denny »

belnox wrote:It baffles me as it was twinkling
could have been atmosphere interference
belnox wrote:Quote " The rotation of Venus on its axis is unusual in both its direction and its speed.
yer confusing spin with orbit

she's just upside down
sun comes up in the west

we've been upside down before
ya probably don't remember it, long time ago
belnox wrote:It was quite near to the horizon, so if it was Venus i'm thinking is it possible it slipped out of visual range somehow given its orbit goes the other way
just stop with this part
belnox wrote:It was quite near to the horizon~~~~it slipped out of visual range
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Planets do on occasion twinkle. I've experienced this more then once inside the city where I live. I've awaken in the early dark morning to find brilliant Venus twinkling just like all the other stars, it was cold, and there was a slight breeze on the ground, which means the wind speed was probaby much faster at altitude. As I understand it, the reason why stars twinkle is due to disturbances in the atmosphere, because stars are so small (they appear as small points of light through binonculars or even a small telescope) and so because they're so small, the light rays that they send are essentially disrupted as they go through the Earth's atmosphere and ultimately into our eye. Part of those disturbances, is temperature, loads of different temperatures in the Earth's atmosphere... Think of a hot day, and looking down the road and seeing "mirages" or heat waves coming off the ground is what they really are, notice how they distort your vision, and really make if you will, a twinkling appearance to whatever's behind. Same deal with the stars, but because of their small size, the light they send is more subjective to being distorted. Back to planets, planets don't normaly twinkle because of their ever so slightly larger size. A pair of 8x40 bincoluars will reveal this. Take those same bincolars and point them at any star, and they'll still be a fine point of light. (Some would also say stars twinkle because of their relatively further distance, but since there have been no reports from astronauts only hundreds of miles off the ground saying stars were twinkling I disagree, which is also one reason why the Hubble is so successful in taking crystal clear photos, no atmosphere to contend with, and obviously no polution too... Only Asteroids. haha) Because of that, the light rays they send aren't as vulnerable to being distorted like their sister stars are. This is why the moon doesn't not twinkle, it's so big and bright it overrides any Earthly disturbance.

So planets do twinkle, just not as much, or even sometimes just not as noticeably as the stars do. If you spend enough time looking at the heavens you'll know what I'm talking about.

As to what you saw... I would need more info or had to have been there to see it. Perhaps Area 51 is up to their bags of tricks and toys again. As for the meteor you saw, well that was a meteor... Never heard a sizzling sound off of one before, but I have seen some very bright ones while night-fishing, so bright they left a glowing trail accross the sky which lasted for a couple seconds, pretty neat actually.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Denny

Post by Denny »

crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Neither planets nor stars "twinkle". That effect is caused by turbulence in the earth's atmosphere. It's just more readily apparent in stars since they deliver us so much less light than planets. If it was bright, white, steady, and on the western horizon in the early evening, it's a fair bet that was Venus. Jupiter can also be very bright, Mars not so much (and it's redder). Anyway, "shooting star" is a misnomer that confuses a lot of people.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Denny wrote:hah! I'll see yer Venus and raise ya Jupiter!

Skipped right by Mars....

coming soon to a sky near you
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ineup.html
Strewth! Kewl!!!! :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

crookedtune wrote:Neither planets nor stars "twinkle". That effect is caused by turbulence in the earth's atmosphere. It's just more readily apparent in stars since they deliver us so much less light than planets. If it was bright, white, steady, and on the western horizon in the early evening, it's a fair bet that was Venus. Jupiter can also be very bright, Mars not so much (and it's redder). Anyway, "shooting star" is a misnomer that confuses a lot of people.
Yes thanks for clearing up what I wrote... :really:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Denny wrote:hah! I'll see yer Venus and raise ya Jupiter!

Skipped right by Mars....

coming soon to a sky near you
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ineup.html
I hope it's a clear night. I'll have the digital camera and tripod ready to go. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Denny

Post by Denny »

good fer you!

Looks like it will mostly quit raining for today.....
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Isn't this just the way? A blatently obvious sighting fairly disappears in the ensuing analysis. Next thing you know, IN THEY COME!

Just you wait for the dis-explanation of the abductions.
Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

buddhu wrote:Until it is identified it remains, by definition, a UFO.
Not everything in the sky is flying. Stars don't & neither do meteorites.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
belnox

Post by belnox »

Denny wrote:As to what you saw... I would need more info or had to have been there to see it.
It was near approx 3 stars medium size/brightness thats all extra i can add.

It was wonderfully bizarre :thumbsup:
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway. Mary-Kay-Ash
Denny

Post by Denny »

I did? Not.
belnox

Post by belnox »

Opps soory about that was refering to KeyofD
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway. Mary-Kay-Ash
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya....more of a key of F, meself :lol:
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Denny wrote:good fer you!

Looks like it will mostly quit raining for today.....
Looks like it's gonna be clear here, too. I'll post whatever I get.

Cheers,
Jim
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo