Oh Danny boy (oh boy).

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

izzarina wrote:
buddhu wrote:What with you and 'Danny Boy', and Dubh and 'The Quiet Man', there are few Irish cliches left for the rest of us to enjoy without the feeling that some disapproving old git is waiting in the wings to tut at us.
Danny Boy is just SO overdone here in the States. It's the epitome of Irishness...if you play something authentic, you are scoffed at and told to play something really Irish, like Danny Boy Image .

As for Dub's aversion to The Quiet Man, I think it's because deep down he really wants to be like the John Wayne character. I can so totally see him being all "Sean Thornton" :twisted:

;)
Yeah, I know what you mean, Izz, but the obvious chance to have a pop at both Nano and Dub at the same time was more temptation than I could bear...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

izzarina wrote:I must admit it took me some time to actually want to click on the link. That has to be one of the best renditions of Danny Boy I've ever seen :lol:
I actually prefer this rendition. I find it particularly moving when sung like this. The Muppets were funny, I agree but I preferred this guy. I liked his bhaav and the touch of originality in his rendition.

This is what I think of when I talk of Irish songs moving me, including the Londonderry Air. I would feel sorry for myself if I were to be no longer moved by it.

(Unfortunately I cannot post a video clip of me listening to this to validate how moved I feel. )
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

talasiga wrote:
izzarina wrote:I must admit it took me some time to actually want to click on the link. That has to be one of the best renditions of Danny Boy I've ever seen :lol:
I actually prefer this rendition. I find it particularly moving when sung like this. The Muppets were funny, I agree but I preferred this guy. I liked his bhaav and the touch of originality in his rendition.

This is what I think of when I talk of Irish songs moving me, including the Londonderry Air. I would feel sorry for myself if I were to be no longer moved by it.

(Unfortunately I cannot post a video clip of me listening to this to validate how moved I feel. )
Not sure if you are joking or not, but I like that one... simple, sweet and one I can listen to and feel the emotion intended rather than fatigue, or saccharin overload.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

Its the first time I've heard "buachaill" turned into "bushel". Cheaper by the basket, maybe. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

izzarina wrote:Danny Boy is just SO overdone here in the States. It's the epitome of Irishness...if you play something authentic, you are scoffed at and told to play something really Irish, like Danny Boy
Extra points if the only instrumental accompaniment comes from an ancient, hopelessly-out-of-tune upright piano, especially if there's a pint of Guinness sitting on the lid. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Animal sells it.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

anniemcu wrote:
talasiga wrote:

Not sure if you are joking or not, but I like that one... simple, sweet and one I can listen to and feel the emotion intended rather than fatigue, or saccharin overload.
No I was not joking.
(Did anything I say in my post make you laugh? :-? )
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

talasiga wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
talasiga wrote: I actually prefer this rendition. I find it particularly moving when sung like this. The Muppets were funny, I agree but I preferred this guy. I liked his bhaav and the touch of originality in his rendition.

No I was not joking.
(Did anything I say in my post make you laugh? :-? )
Well... when you said, "(Unfortunately I cannot post a video clip of me listening to this to validate how moved I feel. )" I was led to consider a number of possibilities... :o
anniemcu
---
---
---
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Here is a sweet one.

Well she seems pretty sweet to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDywWrodXwM
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

That was not a joke but a reference to this other topic
where some of the boyo types want us to post clips to prove our bona fides.

Like its not enough for me to say I was moved. I need to prove it with ocular evidence. Or more to the point, I have no right to comment my appreciation of that guy's rendition of Danny Boy unless I can post an audio clip showing how excellently I can play it myself, otherwise my comments are of questionable value?

(Hmm, once again Annie missy you my point?)
Last edited by talasiga on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

well she would... :D

she whistles but she doesn't read the flute forum often
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Here's another moving rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuC8FRaS5o
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

talasiga wrote:...

(Hmm, once again Annie missy you my point?)
months later... yes, and then again, no ... I just was responding from the position of having seen a lot of sarcasm on the topic(s), so chose not to assume which way you meant it. :)
anniemcu
---
---
---