Favorite cheeses

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Stilton, soft ripening cheese like Brie, gouda that is aged and has the texture of Parmesian Regiano, the aforemetioned P/R, grueyere, sharp chedar....why is this starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch???
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

dwest wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
There are cheeses without animal casein. You generally have to look harder for them and pay more, though.
Do you prehaps mean rennet? There are a large number of cheese makers who do not use animal rennet anymore both here in the States and in the Isles. But casein like gluten can cause a number of negative health responses. But I think cheese without casein is "cheesefood"
Sorry, yes I do. I haven't had much sleep the last couple days...
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

fel bautista wrote:Stilton, soft ripening cheese like Brie, gouda that is aged and has the texture of Parmesian Regiano, the aforemetioned P/R, grueyere, sharp chedar....why is this starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch???

SHUT THAT B*OODY BOUZOUKI UP!!!! :lol:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

When I lived in Montreal, I used to be able to get chaumes, a delicious soft french cheese. It went as well with pears as in-season macintosh apples go with old cheddar.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

For snacking - a nice sharp cheddar or baked brie.
For cooking I use "real" parmesan amd Romano.
Looking forward to cooking with fresh mozzarella soon.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
Denny

Post by Denny »

mozzarella is incredibly easy to make :D
djm

Post by djm »

Provalone. Don't know why. It's bad for me and I'm not supposed to eat it, but I have a particular weakness for this one .... well, for this one most of all. :oops:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Favorites of mine are Meunster, Stilton(any blue really), aged cheddars, and smoked gouda.

Try pairing cheese with beers! Aged cheddars go really well with ales and hoppy beers....but don't partake in too much before bedtime....it doesn't digest quickly and can give you a rude awakening!!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

djm wrote:Provalone. Don't know why. It's bad for me and I'm not supposed to eat it, but I have a particular weakness for this one .... well, for this one most of all. :oops:

djm
get in touch with your inner zampognaro, djm... :D
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hard to beat a good aged Wisconsin cheddar. If it's older than my first graders, I'll probably like it. :D

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar. It just somehow tastes better to me than any other brand of cheese. My favorite use is in home made tacos.

I shred iceberg lettuce and the cheese before doing anything else so they have time to warm up from the fridge. I get a cube of homemade green tomatillo salsa made with lots of shallot, cilantro and lime juice out of the freezer (I freeze it in ice cube trays and store the cubes, one big batch of salsa in the refrigerator would go bad. I live by my self, so I also do that with ground beef) and get it warm carefully in the microwave.

I make my own tortillas using masa harina. I beat the dough in a heavy duty blender in till it gets sticky enough to ball up but not to the point it sticks to the insides of the blender. I use an extra large tortilla press to make relatively big corn tortillas. I cook them on the stove top on a big griddle made of steel 1/4 of an inch thick that fits over two burners and I reserve as my tortilla griddle, so it never sees oil (I got the griddle, a "western griddle" at Tri-state, a local hardware store). I then fry them lightly in virgin olive oil.

I get lean ground beef from C and L Lockers, a small specialty packer near Moscow ID (The meat is cheaper and better than meat from any place else in the Moscow area) mix it with powdered home made freeze dried chanterelle mushrooms (I leave them out in the open in my frost free freezer with an open box of baking soda (so they don't get that nasty freezer burn taste) and let them completely freezer burn basically, then pulverize them in the blender to powder) and saute the meat in the shallow left over oil I used to fry the tortillas. I finally salt it so the salt doesn't draw out the moisture as it cooks. I like sea salt. It seems to have a better taste to me.

I then make the tacos by placing meat, salsa, cheese, finally lettuce on a tortilla, fold it and eat it. I do all this carefully and methodically so it is all hot when I sit down to eat.

Now I just made myself hungry. I also like goat cheese. The best cheese I've ever tasted was an interesting cultural hybrid from Canada. It was Quebec goat sharp cheddar I had at my church at a wine and cheese tasting. I should ask the Moscow Wine Company if they could get it for me. I also like other tangy cheeses, such as blue, goat and feta.

I make sour cream cheesecake where I replace one package of cream cheese with blue cheese. It also tastes good with additional mint chocolate chips. One time I was at a dinner party where I brought a loaf of home made wheat bread in which I had replaced a cup of flour with flax seed. For some reason it went so well with a soft brie type cheese, which I normally dislike, I want to do that combination again.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I bought some French Muenster cheese recently. I thought it was brie. It really smells horrible. But if I cut off the orange skin-like stuff it's creamy and tastes good.

I like cheese but I think I'm a little squeamish about really stinky or really moldy cheese.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I have yet to find a cheese that I don't like, but I do have a serious addiction to gruyère. My fridge simply cannot be without it.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

dwest wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
There are cheeses without animal casein. You generally have to look harder for them and pay more, though.
Do you prehaps mean rennet? There are a large number of cheese makers who do not use animal rennet anymore both here in the States and in the Isles. But casein like gluten can cause a number of negative health responses. But I think cheese without casein is "cheesefood"
Hmm . . . isn't "casein" milk protein? Some vegans avoid certain soy cheeses because they contain casein. I guess if you're allergic to milk you might have a problem with milk casein in soy products. They also put casein in non dairy creamers. You can't get away from the stuff.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon