New Amsterdam

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Amsterdam

Post by cowtime »

This is the first show of it's kind I've gotten "hooked" on in quiet a while.

I admit to Idol and the Office- other than those, and political stuff, I don't watch television much. But, this one has me hooked.

Anyone else watch this thing?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I was born in New York, so I usually like shows and movies set there. The twists in the show have a particular appeal to me as well.

For those that haven't seen it, the show is a cop show, with a twist. The main character is as old as the city, hence the name, New Amsterdam. Each episode has twin plot lines, one set in the present time, one set in the past. It is on Fox on Monday nights.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

yeah this is a good one... I like the positioning: A guy fron 'Golden-age' Holland emigrated when NYC was a Dutch colony...it' s filling the gap in my 'Heroes' addiction...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It's a hit at Casa Weekender with all of us. That guy is cool. I think his love interest is kinda dippy-lookin' and weird. I like his jazzy son, he's awesome.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I kind of like the show too. But you know, that the premise is a bit thin. Why would a 400 year old guy be a cop? You'd think that by now he would have invested a little money (a few bucks here and there deposited into a savings account at an average of maybe 3% per year compounded over 400 years). Or, a little investment in the "horseless carriage" biz or in a startup electrical utility. Well, you get my drift.

If I was 400 years old and knew I was going to live forever (unless I found my one true love that is) I would be more inclined to a less stressful and dangerous profession and more to making a few prudent long term investments to see if I could catch up with Bill Gates. :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
djm

Post by djm »

'ow many 'amster it take to block dat river? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

peteinmn wrote:I kind of like the show too. But you know, that the premise is a bit thin. Why would a 400 year old guy be a cop? You'd think that by now he would have invested a little money (a few bucks here and there deposited into a savings account at an average of maybe 3% per year compounded over 400 years). Or, a little investment in the "horseless carriage" biz or in a startup electrical utility. Well, you get my drift.

If I was 400 years old and knew I was going to live forever (unless I found my one true love that is) I would be more inclined to a less stressful and dangerous profession and more to making a few prudent long term investments to see if I could catch up with Bill Gates. :D
Up until now we've been shown that he has been-originally a fine furniture maker, a doctor(Civil War), coachman in the early 1800s, owner of the jazz bar his son now runs 1960s, artist(1910). He changes jobs every 10 years because he does not age. I like how he keeps coming across descendants. I take it that he's got a lot of remorse over things he should have done differently. As a cop he can get the bad guys- plus he's not gonna get killed remember, unless he meets "the one". You do have a point though....

I agree, I could do without the lady doc love interest. It just takes away from the show IMHO.
John Foster West
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

my fave detail is the way he calls his pooches "21", "32", "13" :lol:

I was up to 'Woogsie' #3 before Mrs CHasR put a stop to the idea :P
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

CHasR wrote:my fave detail is the way he calls his pooches "21", "32", "13" :lol:

I was up to 'Woogsie' #3 before Mrs CHasR put a stop to the idea :P
Yeah. What really impressed me, was in one episode, it was showing him back in time, and the Rottie looked like an "old type" and was more historically correct, rather than our modern type rottweiler. Now that's attention to detail!
John Foster West
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

The Weekenders wrote:his love interest is kinda dippy-lookin'
No big deal. She's not the one. If she is the one, we shouldn't get to comfortable because he'll cross the street without looking once to often.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

It's great to see danish actors breaking through on the international stage.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as John Amsterdam

Mads Mikkelsen as LeChiffre

and the ½-dane Viggo Mortensen. (I don't need to mention his role(s), do i?)

Almost makes me proud of being danish again. :P
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Huh, I thought he was from further East, like Polish or something.

One thing I figured out about that guy, which might be part of the reason he's appealing to me. He looks like a softened but still edgy version of two actors I really like, Dennis Leary and Sean Bean....

I might be just natural to him (as an actor), but you can infer this sense of swallowed anguish in the guy as he negotiates through a world he is completely alienated by. He knows more about everything but is incapable of sharing that knowlege, always on the outside looking in. He has nobody to relate to, except his son. Which, in turn, makes the son's bar and his little flat as much a haven as the Bat Cave. I don't know if the producers intended it, but I am always fascinated when he is in his personal space. I keep hoping he will pull out some souvenirs and do a few more flashbacks from that reflection. But then, I love history...
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

My sister just got into this show a little while ago. She loves it and was telling Mrs. Snuh and I all about it on our last visit.
We don't have cable or satellite or anything like that here, so we're out of the loop for now.
Once my sister (inevitably) starts collecting the seasons on DvD we'll have to borrow them and get caught up. :)