Very local word usage...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:The use of the word "ignorant" to mean "badly-mannered" also sounds Irish to my ears. It's probably just archaic English, but the usage is only preserved in places in Ireland. And, clearly, some places in the U.S. :wink:
It makes me think there must have been quite a few Irish immigrants in this area (and apparently around Albany). More than I had known about, anyway. Thanks for that information, IB :)

And thanks for that lovely piece of verse...I think I'll learn it so I can recite it to the children :twisted:

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:One of my favorite Appalachian colloquialisms is "Katy, bar the door",
used in place of "Watch out!":

"Once the storm overflows the bank, it'll be Katy bar the door!"
You'll hear that one in my neck o' the woods, too. It's not universal, but it's not altogether exotic, either. I've used it myself, although when I say it, it's with an "ie" instead of a "y".

People make fun of Minnesotans for saying, "Are you coming with?", or "I wanna come with," or "Hey, she's gonna come with, dontcha know." Stuff like that.

I don't see the big deal. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

One that is common around central Iowa is a strange cross between "frustrated" and "flustered" - it's "flustrated". :lol:

I used to say it a lot as a kid, but was made so much fun of when I went off to college that the habit was quickly broken.
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

ISU Trout Bum wrote:One that is common around central Iowa is a strange cross between "frustrated" and "flustered" - it's "flustrated". :lol:

I used to say it a lot as a kid, but was made so much fun of when I went off to college that the habit was quickly broken.
I've heard folks from west virginia use that word too. I looked it up, it's an actual word. Go Figer.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fluster
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

When my folks first moved the family to TX, we ran across "like to" used as "almost". As in: "I like to died laughin' at that silly devil!"

Here in KY, if you're about to do something, it's "I'm fixin' to do....."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Have you heard this one before? When I was in my twenties, and taking a pot of jam out of the press, my Mother spotted the jar I had my hand on and said "Don't take that one, it's boast."

I had to get her to repeat it, and she couldn't understand why I couldn't understand her.

What she meant was, the jam was past its safe date, bacteria had been at work and the air had expanded under the lid, and raised it. So the lid was "boast" by being a) proud (raised) and b) hollow (vain).

From spending time in Scotland I'd be more inclined to call it "toom" (as in "Toom Tabard"). But I loved the usage. "Boast!" :)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I would have said, "No, leave it; the jam is toast."

Oh, my head.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

:D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
scheky

Post by scheky »

Ok, first a rant. Muete....it's Pittsburgh. THE H IS THERE. We fought the federal government for the right to that H and I'll be damned if I'll stand for it being dropped... :D

I'm a Yinzer. Pittsburgh, or rather, SW PA has a few little oddities. We tend to say "'n at" at the end of a phrase....like "Are yinz going to the store n at". I have no clue why, it's just Pittsburghese. Also, TO BE doesn't exist here. "This needs washed" is fairly common and honestly the one local habit I'm guilty of. Hamlet's speech in Pittsburgh would have been "...or not...".
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

Newfoundland is a treasure trove of weird word usage. A few examples:

"Some" and "right" are used as qualifiers in place of "very" eg - "He thinks he's some smart" or "He thinks he's right smart".

"crooked" is most often used to mean "cranky" or "in a foul mood" as opposed to "dishonest". eg - "the baby was some crooked this morning"

"blocked" meaning "stuffed" as opposed to constipated. eg - "Would you like another piece of cake? No thanks I'm blocked".

"to squat" means to squish or pinch something vs. to go down on one's haunches. Eg - "I squat my fingers in the door".

"coopy down" - to squat on one's haunches

"the pole of your head" - the nape of the neck

the list goes on. I assume that many of these word usages orginate from the founder populations (mainly from the West Country of England and southeast Ireland) and are/were in common use over there.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

mutepointe - Wow! Thanks for the "heads-up". I had no idea (though, notice it is a 2006 dictionary). :)

SteveB - keep 'em comin'! some of these are just fantatic! I've never heard most of them. :thumbsup:
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveB wrote:"the pole of your head" - the nape of the neck
poll
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

I love the language usage of Newfoundland and Labrador, back in the armed forces in the sixties, I was stationed in Canadian Maritimes and we had a lot of Newfoundlanders, the one phrase that sticks to my mind sounds something like "arn smarn?" both as a question and a greeting. I finally asked what heck are you saying..."Herring this morning" Meaning good day or did you catch herring this morning, meaning was it a good morning.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

I love the language usage of Newfoundland and Labrador, back in the armed forces in the sixties, I was stationed in Canadian Maritimes and we had a lot of Newfoundlanders, the one phrase that sticks to my mind sounds something like "arn smarn?" both as a question and a greeting. I finally asked what heck are you saying..."Herring this morning" Meaning good day or did you catch herring this morning, meaning was it a good morning.

Anstapa
The phrases one typically hears passing between fishermen as they meet on the water are:

ar'n? (contraction of "either one?")

nar'n. (contraction of "neither one")

which, at 7 letters, perhaps is one of the shortest full conversations in the English language.

A Newfoundland term I always liked is "twacking", which means to go shopping without being successful in finding/buying anything of consequence. (eg - "I spent all Saturday morning twacking around the mall"). No word I know of in standard English seems to convey the exact same sentiment. Another is "streel", which means an untidy (but not dirty) person (eg- "Tuck in you shirt, you look like a streel").
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

scheky wrote:Ok, first a rant. Muete....it's Pittsburgh. THE H IS THERE. We fought the federal government for the right to that H and I'll be damned if I'll stand for it being dropped... :D

I'm a Yinzer. Pittsburgh, or rather, SW PA has a few little oddities. We tend to say "'n at" at the end of a phrase....like "Are yinz going to the store n at". I have no clue why, it's just Pittsburghese. Also, TO BE doesn't exist here. "This needs washed" is fairly common and honestly the one local habit I'm guilty of. Hamlet's speech in Pittsburgh would have been "...or not...".
That was a typo. I remember when WPGH 53 TV was invented. I am crawling under the rock now.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦