Recommendations: inexpensive digital camera?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recommendations: inexpensive digital camera?

Post by peeplj »

Hi folks.

We just got back from a much-needed couple of days of vacation, but I fear our old digital camera isn't long for this world. (Understandable; it wasn't an expensive one, and it's several years old.)

I am looking to replace it but don't want to spend more than maybe $200.

Some cameras I'm looking hard at:

Panasonic DMC-LZ3S $ 160.00

Canon A550 $ 180.00

Vivitar 8600s $ 200.00

I know there are fancier cameras available at higher prices, but right now unfortunately we need to keep the price down a bit.

Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with these makes?

Thanks so much, folks.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I recently bought a DXG 552 for around $100 that is lovely. Couldn't ask for more, for the price.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I am in a similar situation. For my needs a Pentio Optio M20 is first on the list right now. Goto dpreview.com for reviews of most cameras.

http://dpreview.com/

Everyone's needs/desires are a bit different. For me, I would like the next camera to be compact (one inch thin) or ultra compact. That way I am much more likely to carry it and use it. For me, I also would like a very tight macro mode for hobby picture taking (5 cm or less closeups). Image stabilization isn't a need, nor is a powerful optical zoom. Depending on the person, those factors as well as others might be a bigger deal.

Almost every camera takes decent snapshots now. If that is the main use, a small size, and low cost would be the priorities. Most only come with a one year warranty, and I don't use a camera enough to justify a big price tag.

For those shopping online, techbargains.com and dealtime.com are also good resources.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Ah yes, expensive whistles and cheap cameras, the world of priorities upside down Image
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Peter Laban wrote:Ah yes, expensive whistles and cheap cameras, the world of priorities upside down Image
Those darn Americans, at it again. We'll all take Burkes when we invade Iran, you betcha. Yeeeeehawwww.

Canons are really good these days. My only objection are that some still use the four AA battery option. My older Nikon Coolpix has a single rechargeable battery that has been fantastic. It's a really good technology. Too bad the 4.5 megapixel is basically an obsolete resolution for the money I spent...

My son has an ultra-compact Canon (don't have it here to give you number). I think it cost about $240. Though it doesn't zoom as much as larger models, it's incredibly convenient for snaps. I have to say, that if I had it to do over again, I would go with the subcompact. I really find myself not wanting to carry camera cases around on trips and dayhikes and I am not doing serious photography, just shooting for memories and such.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Two recommendations:

Fujifilm FinePix A600

Panasonic DMC-LZ3S would be a very good value based on features and lens to dollars.

I have very good experience with both brands.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Those darn Americans, at it again. We'll all take Burkes when we invade Iran, you betcha. Yeeeeehawwww.
I don't know about Americans but unlike whistles, with cameras you are likely to get what you pay for. The wisdom handed down is you get the cheapest body you can get away with but with the most expensive lens you can afford.

It's worth pushing the boat out a bit and go for something decent, even if you have to flog one of your Burkes for it. There's some good bargains out on e-bay if you care to look. A mid-range camera like this for example is a very good deal, even if it's probably a bit upmarket for this thread but even a bit down the range there are some very good deals that will actually give you snaps worth looking at, if you spend tha tlittle more this one will give you superior results for example.

It's a matter of priorities though, to each their own.
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I would look at the items you're considering on Amazon.com, and read the user reviews. Or Epinions.com.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

If you are in doubt that a camera is good, go to DP Review and look up the model. There are thorough reviews on digital cameras that should set you at ease.

Peter is right. Hock a whistle and spend a couple more bucks on a camera upgrade, after all these are pix of your families, special events etc., are you really gonna cheap out?

I'm a professional photog and I have some really nice kit, but when I don't want to haul around 50 lbs. and $15,000 worth of gear, I take my little Canon Digital Elph. 6MP of solid performance. (For the record I'm a Nikon guy, but I like a lot of cameras out there!). At Christmas, for my Father-in-law, I bought a gorgeous little Panasonic Lumix with the image stabilzation et al. Fantastic little camera.

Anyway, point made :D

Cheers,
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I appreciate everyone's input...there have been several valuable responses here.

But no way in hell am I going to sell a musical instrument to finance a camera purchase!

See, I play my whistles just about every day.

I use a camera maybe once a month, probably less.

Perhaps that helps explain my priorities?

Anyway, the Panasonic is looking pretty good to me right now. Research continues.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Cnet reviews is another great site for checking out professional and non-professional opinions of cameras.

I just got a Canon SD600 for $240 (though I hear you can get it cheaper). A friend of mine sent me this page, which lists it for closer to $200. I absolutely love this camera. It takes great pictures.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Paul Reid wrote:I bought a gorgeous little Panasonic Lumix with the image stabilzation et al. Fantastic little camera.
Bougtt one of these for my wife last year. Amazing little camera. The optical and digital zoom combine to get to 16X zoom. With the image stabilization it works quite well.

At the time (1 yr ago) I read Consumer Reports, Web reviews etc. The general concensus was that all these compact digital cameras work reasonably well, with little to choose between them. One feature I miss, and you may want to consider, is an optical viewfinder.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Edited to correct redunancy again.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

peeplj wrote:...no way in hell am I going to sell a musical instrument to finance a camera purchase!
I can empathize: I'd sell just about anything for camera gear except my K&Q C half set. But I'd definitely sell the Burkes :lol: (especially if I had a few!!) and even the Hughes D half set! 8)

The point, belaboured, is that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a brilliant camera. Bottom line is that get what you pay for. And if the camera was easy to use and gave great results, you may be inclined to use it more than 6 times a year.

Good luck!!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Paul Reid wrote:
peeplj wrote:...no way in hell am I going to sell a musical instrument to finance a camera purchase!
I can empathize: I'd sell just about anything for camera gear except my K&Q C half set. But I'd definitely sell the Burkes :lol: (especially if I had a few!!) and even the Hughes D half set! 8)

The point, belaboured, is that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a brilliant camera. Bottom line is that get what you pay for. And if the camera was easy to use and gave great results, you may be inclined to use it more than 6 times a year.

Good luck!!
Point well taken. :lol:

I'm just not much of a photographer, but I'll grant you a nice camera could probably motivate me to take more pictures.

I guess part of my reaction comes from having grown up seeing so many people carrying a camera around, so desperate to record their good memories, that they forgot to have any.

--James

-------