Scotch Single Malt Whisky!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

djm wrote:DJ's Bathtub. I make it in an old castiron tub out in the backyard. Last week's brew was pretty good. At least three pigeons flying over it dropped dead out of the sky (I'm going to add three pigeons on the bottom of the label for that batch).

djm
Maybe y'all don't have any enforcers of revenue law up there in the north, but my great granddaddy did hard time in the state pen for that.
Reasonable person
Walden
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Walden wrote:my great granddaddy did hard time in the state pen for that.
Yes, I've heard that they're particular fond of their pigeons in Oklahoma. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

From January to April this year, I drank a 20 cl bottle of Highland Reserve every day. Not because it's good, but because it was cheap.
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you
bepoq
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Tyrconnell and Bushmills, what no Red Breast?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

djm wrote:Yes, I've heard that they're particular fond of their pigeons in Oklahoma. :D
The squabs, anyhow.
Reasonable person
Walden
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Good bottle of cask strength Glenmorangie up there, that was one of my favourites. What is the signatory bottling? And is that McMacMacallan (entering into the spirit of the board) wood box one of the vintage year reproductions? And what is right in front of that? Also - nice one on the Springbank, but have you got any of their Longrow there - what do think of that stuff?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

bepoq wrote:Good bottle of cask strength Glenmorangie up there, that was one of my favourites. What is the signatory bottling? And is that McMacMacallan (entering into the spirit of the board) wood box one of the vintage year reproductions? And what is right in front of that? Also - nice one on the Springbank, but have you got any of their Longrow there - what do think of that stuff?
Right about the irish booze. But only got the two, no other, sorry. ;)

The Signatory bottling (blue box on the right) is a 1976 Vintage Port Ellen, bottled 1999, 55.9%vol.

The Macallan wooden box is a 25year, bottled 1966 (my birthyear :)), hardly any left, sadly..

And right in front of it is bottle 2135 of one of these: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000006186

Unfortunately no Longrow, but I have a Springbank there, the wooden box, I tried it at a tasting and had to get it, I thought it was the most perfect dram I had ever tried!
:)

Oh man, just did some searching and found here: http://www.whiskyauction.com/auction/archive5-06.html that the bottle is being auctioned for 530£ :o :o
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

All kidding aside, I have never had a 34-yr old aged whisky. Man, I am envious to get a taste of that.... Tip o' the hat to Amar. He's serious!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
bepoq

Post by bepoq »

Very, very good stuff. Particularly envious of the Port Ellen and the Springbank. Have you cracked into the Port Ellen? Report, report! And how about the Private Eye and the '66 Macallan - when are you getting yourself outside of these? What else have you drunk that was interesting? I had a Macallan 1874 that a friend gave me a year or two ago. (Good friend) that was really lovely - one of the best I ever had even though I would generally be more into the peat than the Speyside. Do you collect as much as drink, generally, or do you gradually work your way through them, picking up a bottle when it strikes you?

I cannot recommend highly enough that you get some Longrow though - Springbank distillers using peat - absolutely magic stuff. I've got some that they aged a couple of years in a Tokaji barrel which is extraordinary. Although the 14yr may be the best ordinary sort of expression of a whisky that I've been lucky enough to taste. I don't really have the money to collect a shelf like yours, (comes of being a musician) so I'm really envious of your selection. I usually only keep two or three bottles at a time and when I've drunk through one, I replace it with something else, but I've been taking great care with that Longrow.

Things are reasonably good at the moment as I just moved from Scotland a few months ago. At the mo' I've also got an Aberlour first fill sherry of 13yrs that I filled from a cask at the distillery that has been hanging about as yet unopened, some Uigeadal, some Red Breast (for Irish mixed grain unblended), some Penderyn from Wales (as yet too young a distillery to be very good) and a vatted malt that I filled from a vatting cask at Springbank. I drink the stuff a lot more in the winter than the summer, so I am glad that the cool weather is finally rolling in here.

What is your instrument by the way?
Silvano

Post by Silvano »

Hmmm.

it seems that Amar and I definitely should meet! Perhaps he's also member of

Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
amar

Post by amar »

Silvano wrote:Hmmm.

it seems that Amar and I definitely should meet! Perhaps he's also member of

Silvano
Silvano, I was for quite a few years! But I never ordered a Society bottle, so I cancelled my membership. ;)
amar

Post by amar »

bepoq wrote:Very, very good stuff. Particularly envious of the Port Ellen and the Springbank. Have you cracked into the Port Ellen? Report, report! And how about the Private Eye and the '66 Macallan - when are you getting yourself outside of these? What else have you drunk that was interesting? I had a Macallan 1874 that a friend gave me a year or two ago. (Good friend) that was really lovely - one of the best I ever had even though I would generally be more into the peat than the Speyside. Do you collect as much as drink, generally, or do you gradually work your way through them, picking up a bottle when it strikes you?

I cannot recommend highly enough that you get some Longrow though - Springbank distillers using peat - absolutely magic stuff. I've got some that they aged a couple of years in a Tokaji barrel which is extraordinary. Although the 14yr may be the best ordinary sort of expression of a whisky that I've been lucky enough to taste. I don't really have the money to collect a shelf like yours, (comes of being a musician) so I'm really envious of your selection. I usually only keep two or three bottles at a time and when I've drunk through one, I replace it with something else, but I've been taking great care with that Longrow.

Things are reasonably good at the moment as I just moved from Scotland a few months ago. At the mo' I've also got an Aberlour first fill sherry of 13yrs that I filled from a cask at the distillery that has been hanging about as yet unopened, some Uigeadal, some Red Breast (for Irish mixed grain unblended), some Penderyn from Wales (as yet too young a distillery to be very good) and a vatted malt that I filled from a vatting cask at Springbank. I drink the stuff a lot more in the winter than the summer, so I am glad that the cool weather is finally rolling in here.

What is your instrument by the way?
I sort of play the whistles, I like the low whistles. :)

Well, I haven't cracked the private eye, nor the 34y springbank (or the 15 or the 21 old style bottle either..), but I have cracked the PortEllen, and of course the 25Macallan (which is sadly almost empty...after 10years..).
The Port Ellen is quite potent, at cast strength, I like 'em like that, hardy ever add water, and of course pungent!
Ah yes, nice hobby, started in '91, when I went to Scotland for the first time... ;)

Slainte.
Silvano

Post by Silvano »

I must say I also rarely order bottles, but the domicile of the swiss branch is not far from us, so it happens that I go there once or twice a year. By the way, there will be a scotch market at october 28.
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
amar

Post by amar »

here are my unusual bottlings:
Aberfeldy 22years (vintage 1978)
Aberlour 100proof
Glengarioch 21years
Glen Moray 17years
Glenmorangie 100proof
Glenturret 27years
The Macallan 25years (vintage 1966)
The Macallan 18years (vintage 1973)
The Macallan private eye
The Macallan 58.5%
Bowmore 56%
Port Ellen 22y, 55.9%
Arran (6 or 7years old)
Talisker 59.2%
Talisker 1986, 14years
Springbank 15years, old style
Springbank 21years, old style
Springbank 34years, 47.1%
Ourbeer single malt whisky from Basel/Switz, 3years old. ;)

:D :D

edited to correct the vintage year of the macallan 18y
Last edited by amar on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Loch Dhu
Glen Ord

Nice for the contrast, but DO NOT MIX!

The fly-tying club up north had a cabinet that was good by any standard (except maybe Amar's!). A 25 year old went to the guy who landed the largest steelhead each year.

The rest of us drank the scotch. :wink:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.