Where are the goats? There ought to be goats. . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

MarkB wrote:That is funny! I posted that story here yesterday, thirty some people read but didn't reply so I deleted it.

I guess it is who you are that makes a post worthwhile.

MarkB
MarkB, you shouldn't delete a thread just because you don't get replies! I read the story and enjoyed it but I didn't have anything special to say. I usually feel like I should have something to actually add to the thread when I post----I know, I know, it doesn't look like that :lol: ----so if I just enjoyed a story but I can't think of something more to add I don't usually post. I suppose it would be nice just to say "Good story!" so the person knows you liked it, but then some people don't like boring posts like that. It really doesn't have to do with who is putting up the story. Oh dear!!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cynth wrote:
MarkB wrote:That is funny! I posted that story here yesterday, thirty some people read but didn't reply so I deleted it.

MarkB
MarkB, you shouldn't delete a thread just because you don't get replies! I read the story and enjoyed it but I didn't have anything special to say. I usually feel like I should have something to actually add to the thread when I post----I know, I know, it doesn't look like that :lol: ----so if I just enjoyed a story but I can't think of something more to add I don't usually post. I suppose it would be nice just to say "Good story!" so the person knows you liked it, but then some people don't like boring posts like that. It really doesn't have to do with who is putting up the story. Oh dear!!
And I was going nuts trying to figure out where I had seen that before, or whether I was just hallucinating having seen it before.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Cranberry wrote:
Edit: originally I typed "gats." What are gats? :P
Gats are guns. I thought it was an old slang term for any kind of gun but I checked an online slang dictionary which said that it was an automatic rifle. The term gat comes from comes from gattling gun.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fel bautista wrote: I don't see an italian goat in there :-?
::snicker:: :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

My bad...meant 12 cylinder, 3 liter goat with Boranni wires :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cynth wrote:

MarkB
And I was going nuts trying to figure out where I had seen that before, or whether I was just hallucinating having seen it before.
I'm afraid I didn't see it at all! Depending on the day and time you post, there might not be anybody around to see your post right then.

It's not who posts, as much as it is the title they give the thread. If it's an intriguing title, then people will look at it. If it appears to be something they're not interested in, they will pass it by. It's the same principle that governs newspaper headlines. You have to choose an attention-grabber that appeals to a wide variety of Chiffers AND you have to post your topic leaving an opening for someone to make a witty and charming comment. Leave something unsaid, so to speak.

The title is the biggest factor, I think. For instance, I would have checked out a thread called "Goats," but not one called "Driving in Canada," because I would find a natural appeal in our little friends, but would think "Driving in Canada" might be about road rules there, and I don't know anything about that, except that Canadians drive here, so they must have similar rules, so maybe I would have looked at the post. (Nah, probably not.)

A title of "Stupid Excuses" might get my attention, but "Driver's Excuse Baffles Mounties" would get more attention. "Mounties Baffled by Lack of Goats" would be guaranteed to get my attention, as would "Goats Refuse to Use Canadian Roads, Citing Speeding Drivers."

Entitling it "Road Conditions in Switzerland" would get my attention, because I'd suspect Amar of something. I'd be sure he was guilty if it were "Swiss Driver Baffles Mounties," and I'd look to see if we could see more than his underpants, this time.

No, MarkB, it's not you . . . it was probably just an inauspicious conjunction of posting time and thread title that did it. :wink: