table manners

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

table manners

Post by Jack »

I come from a culture where table manners are non-existant because growing up we didn't have a kitchen table. Much of my family don't have a table in the kitchen, or if they do it's used for shelving and nobody ever sits there to eat, etc.

I always knew that "proper table manners" existed because I heard about them on the TV, but my family always ate on the couch or in our bedrooms. Always.

Anyway, here in college I eat at a table. And somebody the other day politely whispered to me that cutting your food with a fork isn't polite, that you should use a knife in the left hand and hold the food down with the fork in the right hand.

This seemed really strange to me, so I asked the person why, and got a blank stare.

So now I'm asking C&Fers. Why is it not polite to cut your food with only a fork? And why does it matter which hand the fork is in?
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'm not totally sure why, Cran...I'd be as stumped as you.
People look at me funny anyways when I eat, because I hold my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right; it's something that I picked up while living in Canada that just became habit over time, now I cant eat with my fork in my right hand! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

I understand some table manners (i.e., don't pick your nose), but this left me completely puzzled.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Once I had a lovely elderly neighbor who'd been born and raised in England but moved to the U.S. when she married her husband (just after WWII, I think). She stood in church one day and told us this story as an example of not judging others. She said that one night she'd gone to a church dinner and, as she'd been raised, ate her vegetables with her knife. A woman sitting across from her stared and finally told her that you don't eat vegetables with a knife, but with a fork. Olive looked at her sweetly and said, "Go to hell."

Susan
Last edited by susnfx on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:Once I had a lovely elderly neighbor who'd been born and raised in England until she married her husband (just after WWII, I think). She stood in church one day and told us this story as an example of not judging others. She said that one night she'd gone to a church dinner and, as she'd been raised, ate her vegetables with her knife. A woman sitting across from her stared and finally told her that you don't eat vegetables with a knife, but with a fork. Olive looked at her sweetly and said, "Go to hell."

Susan
LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:
susnfx wrote:Once I had a lovely elderly neighbor who'd been born and raised in England until she married her husband (just after WWII, I think). She stood in church one day and told us this story as an example of not judging others. She said that one night she'd gone to a church dinner and, as she'd been raised, ate her vegetables with her knife. A woman sitting across from her stared and finally told her that you don't eat vegetables with a knife, but with a fork. Olive looked at her sweetly and said, "Go to hell."

Susan
LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And just imagining the old lady British accent makes it even more wonderful! :D
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Next time tell them your parole officer forbade you from being
anywhere near a knife. :D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Some table manners are common sense courtesy (you cited an example) and some are a bit archaic (no elbows on the table). Complaiing about cutting your food with a fork seems a little picky, especially in an informal college environment.

So, you could probably find a little guide to table manners via Google?

Dale
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

here's the results of a search on Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Se ... le+manners
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:So, you could probably find a little guide to table manners via Google?
Indeed I could, but then I would have never have gotten to hear about Olive!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm with Tyler -- I've never been in a situation in which it's been considered impolite to cut food with a fork. I also eat with the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right -- I've heard this called "Continental style." Many Americans cut with the fork in the left and the knife in the right, then put the knife down and eat with the fork in the right.

Table manners are pretty simple. Don't eat most foods with your hands (things like bread are always okay; also pizza, fried chicken (not that you'd eat that, Cran), stuff like that). Don't reach across people to get the salt; politely ask for it to be passed. Put a napkin in your lap, use it when something dribbles down your chin. Don't make armpit farts, especially if the guy you know is gonna laugh at them has a mouthful of milk.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy

Post by missy »

perhaps it's just me, but I've always thought it to be bad manners to correct other's behavior in public (unless it was something life threatening, of course)...........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

chas wrote:...Don't make armpit farts...
Or real farts....
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Manners will differ between social classes, and also situationally.
I once heard a story of a man who's girlfriend was raised wealthy, and
was adament about the manners she had learned. This was fine when
they were at fancy resturaunts, but once they were at a sports bar,
and she freaked out when he ate his chicken fingers with his hands.
He left her.

College is where people start to learn about others' differences in
upbringing and culture. It might be a good time to inform your friend
that it might be in his/her best interest to relax...

The big ones most people agree on, when at a fancy resturaunt, are:
put the napkin in your lap, no elbows on the table, put your bread on
the little bread plate. If it's really fancy, like a sitdown wedding
reception, then when a woman stands up to leave the table, all the
men should rise until she has departed (I have NO idea why that is).

I don't know why the fork hand matters, but I think I remember that
it is the opposite hand in the US and the UK.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:Manners will differ between social classes, and also situationally.
I once heard a story of a man who's girlfriend was raised wealthy, and
was adament about the manners she had learned. This was fine when
they were at fancy resturaunts, but once they were at a sports bar,
and she freaked out when he ate his chicken fingers with his hands.
He left her.

College is where people start to learn about others' differences in
upbringing and culture. It might be a good time to inform your friend
that it might be in his/her best interest to relax...
I agree...don't let anyone get ya down about it Cran. If they have a problem with the way that you eat, it's just that...it's their problem.