No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:"O me smartphone's a cracker...
Nanohedron wrote:N txt each othr 4 R cnvrsation.
Fav line evs, Nno. Gd job.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks. I would like to say I'd been slaving over a hot parchment, but you know how it is.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

So isn't anyone going to ask? Aren't you? Aren't you? Aren't you?

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:So isn't anyone going to ask? Aren't you? Aren't you? Aren't you?

Sorry ... has there been some kind of problem?

Are you now ... :sleep:

... where am I? :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll just wait for someone of greater perception for the important things to come along.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I'll just wait for someone of greater perception for the important things to come along.
Oh, I have fantastic perception here. I don't even need a special aerial to get it. Honestly, you should see the clarity ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Whatever. Sniff.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:So isn't anyone going to ask? Aren't you? Aren't you? Aren't you?

So, Nano... uh ... have you seen Annie's Boobs lately?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

oh dear,...

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Clowns, the lot of you. The answer, to what you all have really been dying to ask, is: No. The TV Repair Gods yet sleep, unknowing of my pleas.
fearfaoin wrote:So, Nano... uh ... have you seen Annie's Boobs lately?
So I'll take that as a rhetorical question.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:So I'll take that as a rhetorical question.
Trying to make sense of the monkey vis-a-vis television. By way of Community.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

My monkey pic was added merely to convey the similar body language one might see from someone desperately pushing a leading question such as I was asking; that's all. Just a jocular illustration of the mood. No hidden meanings or references.

He looks like an over-solicitous shop owner, don't you think?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ye GODS. So now that the main board fixed nothing and professional calls to Sharp strongly recommending replacement of the unit notwithstanding, the sadistic little monster on the other end decided that the cycle must begin anew. IOW, I am again at the slow mercy of managerial review and decision. The thing is, he didn't have to do that; his hand weren't really as tied as he said. The repair guys assure me that these people have been more known to exercise some discretion allowed them and display a recognisable degree of humanity, but we got stuck with some power-drunk cocktail wiener taking his bad day out on us, apparently an unusual thing. Whatever. What it tells me is basically now they have my money, and there's your service for you. I overheard the repair guy remark on the phone to his superior that the Sharp guy frankly communicated a don't-give-a-sh*t attitude. His superior went to bat for me. That didn't work either. Now I'm no longer feeling majorly inconvenienced; I'm out-and-out angry.

As they left, I was informed that Best Buy has a special sale going on; they were required to bring it up and were pretty embarrassed. They had my sympathy. "Yeah, well, if I check it out, I sure won't be buying Sharp products any more," said I. And I'm sure as hell spreading the word now, too. I hope someone up a ways in that company is reading all this.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A lot of years ago I sold appliances. Along with all the 'white goods', we also sold what at that time were called 'brown goods', or consumer electronics. Solid state electronics were just being introduced into televisions. Sony had revolutionized the industry with their
Trinitrontm picture tubes. VLSI had not yet reached consumer goods but transistors had. Everyone wanted a TV "just out of the box".
At that time part of mil spec included burn-in time of between ten and one hundred hours. I always tried to sell the floor model that I had adjusted and put ten to fifteen hours of burn in on. At that time 'Just out of the box' had a failure rate of about thirty per cent. Typically either dead at first power-up or within the first ten to fifteen hours of service. This led to many irate customers. We sold RCA, Zenith, Sylvania, Motorola, and Sony. Sony was the only brand with factory burn in, and the only brand without this problem.
Warranty service was entirely separate from the retail/wholesale side. Once you were in the hands of Warranty service you were in the hands of savages. . .We were an independent family run store, and had much more leeway than the big box stores today. It was just easier for us to take back a TV in the first 90 days, and trade out a known good one. We could then deal with Warranty at our leisure. (we typically had 20-50 new TV's of each brand in stock at any time, so a few warranty set waiting for repair was no issue).
Today, it seems, customers are a bad side-effect to both big box retail, and major brand warranty.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

My Facebook status today reads:

"A friend of mine who lives more than four thousand miles away has had a ridiculously bad experience with a Sharp TV. As a result, I won't be buying any Sharp products. Ever. I don't want to buy a telly that doesn't work from them and then find that they resist either fixing it or replacing it."