Idol

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Idol

Post by emmline »

I'm gonna guess Durbin, simply on the basis of how well he comes across. He's got a bit of an underdog aspect what with his tics and Aspergerish-ness and all, but I think that just enhances his gee-whiz sincerity. Talent not bad either.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I really love Casey. I loved his rendition of "Nature Boy", but I tend to think the vast majority of the people who watch won't get the jazziness. In MY opinion (which we all is is impeccable ;) ) he's fantastic. That bass is just too sexy for words.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

emmline wrote:I'm gonna guess Durbin, simply on the basis of how well he comes across. He's got a bit of an underdog aspect what with his tics and Aspergerish-ness and all, but I think that just enhances his gee-whiz sincerity. Talent not bad either.
I just love him. I'm not a headbanger by any means, but I'm impressed that he's brought real metal to the show and that he does Stevie Wonder, George Harrison, and Judas Priest equally well. I think it's his to lose. 'Course, Chris Daughtry, the closest thing to James, has done plenty well coming in, I think, fourth.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Durbin did the best, but still I wish some vocal coaches would tell him not to screech inappropriately, and teach Scotty to hold notes out and sing a bit more evenly. It would make vast improvements because both of them really showed a ton of charisma and attention to "the moment.". I actualy liked Lauren this time, still don't think much of Haley, no matter how much praise is heaped upon her.

I think it's an appropriate time for Casey to go. The klown schtick took him as far as he can go. If he couldn't learn to sing more and clown less, then he didn't deserve to stay (especially since he has proven that he CAN sing well). And I thought the final song after elimination proves my point. I thought it was a mess, I just didn't buy it. He's got a Jack Black kinda thing goin' of being reckless and childish but it reached its limits because its not a comedy competition.
It will be
1) Durbin
2) Lauren
3) Scotty maybe callin it a tie
3) Haley
4) Jacob

one man's opinion, thassall.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yeah...I don't get the Haley hype either. Don't care that much for either of the remaining gals, frankly. But I would second your prediction. I can't get over the Scotty/Alfred E Newman separated at birth problem though. Maybe he'll outgrow it.
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

emmline wrote:Yeah...I can't get over the Scotty/Alfred E Newman separated at birth problem though. Maybe he'll outgrow it.
I had this nagging feeling I'd seen Scotty somewhere before...thanks so much for clearing that up! :lol:
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Denny

Post by Denny »

seriously in need of a facial coach
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
chas

Post by chas »

The Weekenders wrote: It will be
1) Durbin
2) Lauren
3) Scotty maybe callin it a tie
3) Haley
4) Jacob

one man's opinion, thassall.
That's pretty close to what I have. The consensus chez moi is Durbin-(Lauren and Hayley)-Scotty-Jacob.

If you'd asked us around the round of 10 it would all be changed except for James. We probably would have had James, Jacob, Pia and Thea as the final four. Jacob has just become dull. I think he has by far the best voice, and he had a few great weeks early on, but he has regressed while Lauren and Hayley have improved noticeably (I know I'm in the minority on the board regarding Hayley). I have no idea what Scotty is still doing in the competition. I thought his version of You've Got a Friend was somewhere between awful and comical. None of us likes Lauren, but she's good at what she does.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's amazing just how interested people in Santa Cruz have gotten in American Idol since James Durbin has been on it. People who don't normally watch the show, or even take much of an interest in it, are queuing up for "Idol Parties" at Pizza My Heart and other places and talking about the results in the supermarket line the next day. Today, in the letters to the editor, someone quipped that the Santa Cruz Sentinel should change its name to the "Durbin Daily." :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Sigh. The sentiment for now is, "I ain't gonna watch anymore." I'll probably make a liar of myself if I say it, but I am bummed. I don't know how the slippery Haley keeps surviving. She creeps me out. Glad SC still had the Durbin Day. Afaic, he won this year.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

I'm guessing Haley will probably get the boot this week. As much as the judges have been critical of her, I am surprised it hasn't already happened. So the result will be a finale with 2 country singers? Curiosity will probably get the best of me and I'll end up watching anyway....
The Weekenders wrote:Sigh. The sentiment for now is, "I ain't gonna watch anymore." I'll probably make a liar of myself if I say it, but I am bummed. I don't know how the slippery Haley keeps surviving. She creeps me out. Glad SC still had the Durbin Day. Afaic, he won this year.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I hear ya Weeks. Me too. I was ready for Hayley to go too. She kind of belongs in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The other two as finalists though...yawn. Not that they aren't decent singers, they just aren't particularly compelling.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The Weekenders wrote:Sigh. The sentiment for now is, "I ain't gonna watch anymore." I'll probably make a liar of myself if I say it, but I am bummed. I don't know how the slippery Haley keeps surviving. She creeps me out. Glad SC still had the Durbin Day. Afaic, he won this year.
I'm depressed. No one else is really amazing, in my mind. I'm thinking Lauren will win now....I suppose the fact that it's been a while since a girl won should be taken into consideration. Stupid show. :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas

Post by chas »

Daughtry was voted off in the round of 4, too. I don't think James would be disappointed with a career like that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Same here.

I'm glad we were ABLE to have the Durbin Day. Evidently the contracts these guys sign with Idol have them working on other aspects of the show if they're eliminated, so initially it didn't look like they were going to let him come. The city of Santa Cruz basically begged Idol to let us have James for the day.

I didn't see the concert...I guess the crowds at the Boardwalk were insane, even though the weather is terrible right now...but there were (and are still) posters up all over Santa Cruz in his honor, so the guy at least knows his home town appreciates him, anyway.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!