Naive Question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Naive Question

Post by mutepointe »

The person who has always answered this type of question for me passed away awhile back. You folks are my next option.

I often see men, almost always in hooded sweatshirts, hanging outside of gas stations. Today it is freezing cold in West Virginia and there were still two young men in the 20's hanging outside. I don't pay attention enough to these people to see if they're regulars. Are they drug dealers? is there another rationale reason for people (grown men) to hang out in front of gas stations?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Naive Question

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:I often see men, almost always in hooded sweatshirts, hanging outside of gas stations.
They're not what they seem. In the tongue of Mordor they are called Gazgûl - or Gasoline Wraiths. They are tasked by Sauron to hang around gas stations seeking to snatch the One Winning Lottery Ticket to Rule Them All from unwary customers. They're also known to be exceptionally fond of bad coffee and Hostess snacks.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

tradition :really:

better if it is done under a "No loitering" sign!

yes, ah, probably best not to associate anyone that likes Hostess snacks, innit....
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have gas stations in my neighborhood where people are hanging around by the door to the store. They will come out to your car while you are filling your tank and ask for money. They size up each person, and I think they know when to avoid contact, when to politiely ask and when to intimidate. In short, they are working the station area, looking for any opportunity to make money. There may well be other less obvious things going on (sex, drugs, alcohol), as well, but I don't want to know about it. Once I learn that a station owner allows their business to be worked in this manner, I find another station where this isn't happening.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Around these parts hoodies are usually a bad sign, but we haven't had a shooting since 11:45 pm last night, a 17 year old, I doubt she'll make it.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I think they're waiting for their drug dealer to show up.
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:They're not what they seem. In the tongue of Mordor they are called Gazgûl - or Gasoline Wraiths. They are tasked by Sauron to hang around gas stations seeking to snatch the One Winning Lottery Ticket to Rule Them All from unwary customers. They're also known to be exceptionally fond of bad coffee and Hostess snacks.

"Sssssspaaare chaaange?"
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It is exactly because of people like MTGuru that the person in my life gave me the Doug type answers to my questions. Mostly, I wouldn't even have to ask the questions, he would just tell me what was going on. And very definitely, he would tell me not to talk to those type of people at all. I guess that's why they don't bother with me now. I may not know what's going on but they can tell I'm not a viable target.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:They're not what they seem. In the tongue of Mordor they are called Gazgûl - or Gasoline Wraiths.[...]
Bravo!!!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Doug_Tipple wrote:.......Once I learn that a station owner allows their business to be worked in this manner, I find another station where this isn't happening.
Is it the same sort of gas at the other place Doug and where does it come from?
missy

Post by missy »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:They're not what they seem. In the tongue of Mordor they are called Gazgûl - or Gasoline Wraiths. They are tasked by Sauron to hang around gas stations seeking to snatch the One Winning Lottery Ticket to Rule Them All from unwary customers. They're also known to be exceptionally fond of bad coffee and Hostess snacks.

"Sssssspaaare chaaange?"

Holding a sign that reads:

Boss dead
Out of a job
Need food
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com