what pitch with this videoclip

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

what pitch with this videoclip

Post by uilleannfinlander »

What kinda whistle(pitch) Goldrick uses with this clip (D,A,..?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9rM1DsJwI
squirrel

Re: what pitch with this videoclip

Post by squirrel »

Hi, it's a low whistle in E
Sorry for my bad english...
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Hmm, YT account now terminated. I wonder if the link here alerted the copyright police? Of course, it could have been something completely unrelated to this.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:Hmm, YT account now terminated. I wonder if the link here alerted the copyright police? Of course, it could have been something completely unrelated to this.
What copyright police? You're right, it may have been an unrelated issue too.

Bela is pretty open with his tunes, allows recording at his concerts.

Transatlantic Police maybe? Other TA Sessions seem to be all over YouTube. But now that one is gone, can't find another of the same performance. And yet many performances of the same tune performed by the Flecktones and other Fleck collaborators are still out there to listen, to learn and to inspire, just not with Mike McGoldrick, Phil Cunningham, John Doyle, Aly Bain or John McCusker.

Yes "Big Country" is played in E. Banjo players might first think "Big Country" is in G from observing Bela's fingerboard positions. But if you take note of the fretboard positions of John Doyle and Jerry Douglas (Dobro in open D, capo on 2nd fret) you can figure out that Bela Fleck must have his banjo tuned way down to E.

Banjo and bass tabs are available from the usual places if you want to learn the tune.

Nice earworm! Thanks for bringing the tune back to my consciousness. In case you missed the earlier post here is the tune in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRK7-SIAbtQ Sorry, no whistles, although the Flecktones have almost always had a whistle player in the group.

Edit: After looking around a bit it would seem that the Transatlantic Sessions video was taken down at the request of Pelicula Films Ltd. of Glasgow.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Feadoggie wrote:After looking around a bit it would seem that the Transatlantic Sessions video was taken down at the request of Pelicula Films Ltd. of Glasgow.
Feadoggie on the case...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Feadoggie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRK7-SIAbtQ Sorry, no whistles, although the Flecktones have almost always had a whistle player in the group.
But it does at least have a great sax solo with the fretless bass.

I'm huffed that the bassoon didn't get a solo, though.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Too bad about that video...it was one of the types that you can't stop watching it once you press play...I was thinking to myself how awesome it was as I was watching...as good as MMc is, he had the smallest pasrt in this masterpiece...t'was awesome to see...Phil Cunningham's brilliance certainly stood out as did everyone else for that matter!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Tunborough wrote:But it does at least have a great sax solo with the fretless bass. ... I'm huffed that the bassoon didn't get a solo, though.
Two sax solos, Jeff Coffin and Paul McCandless.

Bassoon? :) And the problem with Paul Hanson is that he does not always sound as you would expect a bassoon to sound. I don't know of anyone else doing what he does on the bassoon. He gets his shot on this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OL1_6AMw3Q
whistle1000 wrote:.Phil Cunningham's brilliance certainly stood out as did everyone else for that matter!
Cunningham was what struck me as a standout the first time I saw that video performance. But the entire package is just so pleasant and it all fits together nicely.

As for "Big Country". It is such a simple tune melodically. Anyone can play it. It is an earworm. Is it Irish or Scots? Is it Appalachian? There's that Caribbean element in there too at the bridge. Hard to say where it might have come from. But it sticks with people. And they want to play it. YouTube is full of cover versions of the tune on an unusual array of instruments.

Feadoggie
ScotsJim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ScotsJim »

MTGuru wrote:Hmm, YT account now terminated. I wonder if the link here alerted the copyright police? Of course, it could have been something completely unrelated to this.
When I clicked on that link I got this message on the youtube page :

"TS5 Béla Fleck..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

Copyright police indeed !
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

You can listen to the performance that started this thread here, no video though: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Transat ... +5/7882503

A good reason to have a low E whistle.

Feadoggie