Allow me to introduce myself...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ScotsJim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Allow me to introduce myself...

Post by ScotsJim »

an seanduine wrote:Welcome to the forum Jim. I have a little scots in me. . .but prefer putting more Irish in me as I can (Jameson's :D )
Thanks for the welcome Bob. Was always more of a Bushmills man myself when it came to whiskey rather than my native whisky :)
an seanduine wrote:Apologies for weighing in a little late.
I am ambidextrous. . .or as a fellow sufferer put it: Heterodextrous. . .equally bad with either hand!
I am, however, surprised no one has brought up the recent work done on right-eared and left-eared hearing. Seems the innate wiring thing really shows here. . .

Bob
Aye. Although I am mainly left handed, there are some things I can use either hand for. In fact, when trying a new task, I usually don't know what hand I'll use until I actually try it. But my head always screams at me when it feels I am using the wrong hand. I just know when I try it what's right ( Or left! See what I did here? :lol: ) for me.

Regarding right eared / left eared hearing, I am definitely from the school of selective hearing myself.
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

pancelticpiper wrote:I forgot to mention that an old friend of mine, an excellent guitarist, plays reversed/backwards/lefthanded, but on an ordinary guitar!
I have a guitarist friend myself who is normally left handed but plays guitar right handed ! Never quite figured that one out Richard.

P.S. Loved the photo of the Strathclyde left-handed bagpipers you posted. Strathclyde is my old neck of the woods :)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ScotsJim wrote:I have a guitarist friend myself who is normally left handed but plays guitar right handed ! Never quite figured that one out Richard.
But that's totally normal, and probably done by more left-handed guitarists than play left-handed guitars. See 'Lefties take a swerve' at http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/F ... -2012.aspx.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

Interesting article. Thanks Peter.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

pancelticpiper wrote:He invented all his own chord-shapes, which of course are completely different-looking than the usual ones.
Nah, he didn't. It is actually somewhat common. He's just flipped the guitar around as have many players. Unless he came up with unique tuning intervals between the strings the chord shapes remain the same, only the orientation of the neck differs. And there are lots and lots and lots of tuning schemes that most of us use - then there's Joni Mitchell.

Albert, one of the Three Kings, as has already been mentioned, played that way. Hendrix dabbled that way too.

I would offer Coco Montoya as one rather well known example of a guitarist employing that same upside down method.

When you don't prescribe to someone how to play an instrument, they will figure out their own method, if properly motivated to play.

Look at Stanley Jordan. He was a classical pianist before he picked up the guitar. He used his piano background as a frame of reference to visualize playing the guitar with a two handed tapping technique. He was not the first player to tap the strings but he was motivated to take it to a different place. Most anything is possible.

When you don't tell someone that "this is the only way" good things can be the result.

Other touch style guitarists play with the neck in an upright position to take advantage of the side-to-side symmetry of the human mind/body.

I've introduced many challenged individuals to slide guitar, lap style or Spanish style. It is a dis-service for us to teach music as though there is only one way to do things.
Peter Duggan wrote:But that's totally normal, and probably done by more left-handed guitarists than play left-handed guitars.
And I would submit that it is totally normal for left hand dominant individuals to play what we foolishly call "right-handed" woodwinds. Our whole mistake is to call them "right-handed" instruments. It sets up a left hand dominant individual with a possible prophecy for failure. Leave out the right versus left thing and all goes well, generally.

"Where there's a will ... ", you know how that one goes.

I'll shut up now.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:Our whole mistake is to call them "right-handed" instruments.
But do we? If you asked me what I played, I'd just start with guitar, flute etc., but probably distinguish where necessary by talking about (simply) guitar and left-handed guitar, or (simply) flute and left-handed flute. So you'd never get 'I play left-handed guitar' or 'right-handed flute' as my opening gambit, even though I do... guitar and bass 'left-handed' and everything else the conventional way, despite regarding myself as very right-handed and finding reversed woodwinds as weird as I now find reversed guitar natural. Though I eat crisps (chips) with my left hand, so go figure!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:He invented all his own chord-shapes, which of course are completely different-looking than the usual ones.
Nah, he didn't.
Thanks, Feadoggie. I was going to say the same. :-) The chord voicings dictate the chord shapes, so with a given tuning the shapes will be mostly just mirror-reversed. And the mental transformation needed to make use of chord diagrams etc. is not that difficult, so it's unlikely the friend is completely sui generis. Any righty guitarist who has learned from observing lefty guitar players (as I have from John Doyle) has experienced a similar sort of thing.

I'll add my friend Jimmy Haslip, bassist with The Yellowjackets, to the roster of right-strung lefties. A bit "easier" on bass because it's less chordally oriented, but techniques like funk slapping then create a real challenge.

We had a brief go at this topic a few years back: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=82904
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Feadoggie wrote: "He invented all his own chord-shapes, which of course are completely different-looking than the usual ones." Nah, he didn't.
Having no teacher or book, he had to come up with all the shapes on his own. (This would have been true had he picked up the guitar the opposite way, too.)
Feadoggie wrote: the chord shapes remain the same

Yes of course the same frets are stopped, but the combinations of fingers, the hand-shapes, are different.

This became apparent when he would jam with other guitarists, who would (out of habit) look at his hand to see what chord he was playing... and then realize that they couldn't tell, because the hand-shapes were unfamiliar to them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Not to belabor the point, but to belabor the point ... :wink:
pancelticpiper wrote:Yes of course the same frets are stopped, but the combinations of fingers, the hand-shapes, are different.
Different from ... ? If by "the usual ones" you're referring to Folk Guitar 101 with one elementary shape/voicing per chord - "This is a C chord" etc. - then sure, maybe. But tuning and ergonomics dictate that whatever your friend came up with would be recognizable to an advanced player, and hardly unique. If his patterns aren't in Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry, then he's probably not human. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Ha! He pulled a Ted Greene on 'em! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Here's some shining examples of left handed playing.
Joe Shannon was right handed. When he started on
whistle he used his right hand on top which he later
used on the pipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PWqxLq ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkZpDYB ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCXdYDSy ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxaL6A2Q ... ata_player
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

Thanks for those links oleorezinator.

P.S. Love the sig