Taking whistles abroad on planes in the luggage hold

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JM27
antispam: No

Taking whistles abroad on planes in the luggage hold

Post by JM27 »

So, it's been a long while since I've taken whistles abroad, but will be doing so for a recording session abroad next week, namely 3 Overton whistles, with a low G being the prized one of the bunch. I'm thinking of taking that in my fiddle case, but am possibly thinking of putting the C and D whistles in the respective soft cases that they came in inbetween clothing to protect them. Am I courting potential disaster here or has anyone got any other suggestions? The thought of taking a cheap C and D has also crossed my mind.

Apologies for the paranoia but it is Easyjet here that we're talking about :)
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Taking whistles abroad on planes in the luggage hold

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sorry I don't know about that airline, but I will say that when security screens bagpipes they don't show any interest or surprise, but when they've screened a roll of whistles they stop everything and take them out an examine them. The whistles must look like something dangerous!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

I wouldn't chance it in soft luggage. I have transported low whistles in hard luggage with no problem but the softer bags I've seen too bent out of shape to risk it. Lately I've taken to bringing the whistles on the plane with me in my carry on bag.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Hi....get some some 3-4 inch diameter rigid plumbing. You could buy end caps and all. Cut it to your desired length and you're good to go. Good luck with your recording!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The Overtons are tough as all getout and should survive unscathed.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've never transported an overton, but I regularly pack my chieftain low d nontunable in the luggage hold without a problem.

Overtons and chieftains are a bit more durable than say, a copeland. I'd never let baggage handlers touch one of those :D
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've packed whistles and other much more delicate objects in with socks and things in hold baggage without any problems. They get posted everywhere, so why not pack them in the hold, provided you pack them carefully? Mind, I would have thought that there must be room for a couple of whistles in carry on luggage, surely?

Also, just to stick up for them, I have found from my own personal experience, that Easyjet are the friendliest, most musician-friendly airline I've flown with.
JM27

Post by JM27 »

That's it, I'm putting in the hold. Call me reckless :)
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

If you pack them in caped piping as recommended above, expect to be thoroughly searched. They'll look exactly like pipe bombs.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

On a trip to Colorado from California a few years ago, one of my checked-in bags was smashed in from all sides. Looked like it had been through a giant trash compactor. Thankfully, all I had packed in that suitcase was clothing. I rarely travel via airline with more than a couple of whistles (one of which is always a low D), but always bring them on board in my carry-on bag. Just after 9/11, my low Ds would occasionally be scrutinized, but rarely anymore. Keep in mind, this was a domestic flight, not overseas.

p.s. the airline in question replaced the destroyed suitcase with a near equivalent, but not of the same value...
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

calanthrophy wrote:If you pack them in caped piping as recommended above, expect to be thoroughly searched. They'll look exactly like pipe bombs.
I have traveled through many airports in the United States using one inch plastic pipe to pack each whistle. No problems. They don't block x-rays and isolate the whistles so they can be more easily identified. I would think it would be much the same for international travel. You certainly don't have to worry about them being crushed.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

FWIW, a former flute instructor had a rather valuable instrument destroyed in an automobile accident. The flute was in the trunk. After that, he always recommended keeping anything like that right next to you when travelling so whatever fate would bring, it would happen to both of you.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

springrobin wrote:FWIW, a former flute instructor had a rather valuable instrument destroyed in an automobile accident. The flute was in the trunk. After that, he always recommended keeping anything like that right next to you when travelling so whatever fate would bring, it would happen to both of you.
... and from that day forth, the flute instructor always rode in the trunk.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.