Sheet Music for Battlefield Band Ge Do Theid Mi Do M'Leabiad

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sheet Music for Battlefield Band Ge Do Theid Mi Do M'Leabiad

Post by PhilO »

Does anyone have or know where I can get the referenced sheet music? Yes, I have the cd and love it especially this tune. I know for some of you sheet music is anathema, but I like to use it as opposed to ABC because when I look at it I get the "shape" of the tune in my head, then I listen to it and play with sheet music repeatedly until I have it in my head. Just easier for me. I am going to Irish Week at Davis Elkins College (Augusta Heritage Foundation) in WV in July where I have daily classes both for repertoire increase/ear training for all instruments and specific whistle sessions in afternoon each day as well followed by sessions, etc. throughout the day. I think I have a pretty good ear but never trained it. Thanks. Oh, it's from the album "At The Front"
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sheet Music for Battlefield Band Ge Do Theid Mi Do M'Leabiad

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I love that tune. I used to see the Battlefield band fairly often around the time they made that album (and the one before it). They must have been traveling a lot during the seventies. That tune is part of my soundtrack for those, all young and optimistic, days.

The tune somehow made it over to Ireland, into the repertoire of Joe Ryan and (probably through him and Eddie Clarke) onto the harmonica playing of Mick Kinsella. Mick does such a lovely job on it on the harmonica (as you would expect), accompanying himself on the concertina.

That all said and done, I don't have a notation for it but I can suggest it's not very hard to learn by ear Image
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

http://youtu.be/0sVV6uwsSfM

I have sheet music for it - will send a pm later.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thank you both...
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No, thank you. Nice to have a tune like that brought back.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I knew 'leabiad' couldn't be right because it violates Gaelic spelling rules, so I looked it up

leabaidh bed
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle