Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

Post by Mr Ed »

I've been having a hard time lightening up the fingers/grip when playing the tin whistle. It's been very noticeable since the ganglion cysts have been acting up and the temperature is rising. My favorite whistles are nickel plated Generations, and with a very crooked pinky, as soon as there's perspiration, it starts to go back to it's normal position, which is about 1/2-3/4 of the tip under B3. Makes playing a little challenging, to say the least. Not to mention the instinctive tightening of the grip when it starts to slip.

Anyway, I remember seeing a video of Paddy Moloney playing a whistle with what appeared to be black electrical tape on the tube where his thumb(s) go. So, I did that with all the nickel tubes, and put a small square of it where my pinky rests. Big improvement!!!! Now, once the pinky is out of B3's way, and the thumbs aren't sliding, the grip is much more relaxed, and the fingers are more easily doing what I want them to do. Even the more up-tempo tunes can be played on the Bb now. :thumbsup:

Other types of tape and materials were found doing a search of the forum, but I thought this would be another easy to find option for anyone who likes nickel whistles but doesn't like 'em slipping around.
Feadoggie

Re: Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

Post by Feadoggie »

Good solution! Some folks like to use Gorilla Snot on the thumbs for that purpose. Gorilla Glue might be too much.

I too favor the nickel Gens but have never had an issue with slippage. I am cursed with crooked pinkies though. Thanks, Mom.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Poohze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Poohze »

I've been pondering a solution to my new Freeman Bluebird's nickle-slipperiness, and was contemplating making sugru thumb pads. Gorilla Snot would be far cooler, but I can't find a supplier nearby :lol: Tape is so much easier, and I've got some black gaffer-tape in the drawer here... Thanks! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Marc E
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

-Walt Whitman
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks for the link to the site, Feadoggie. It's been bookmarked just in case it's ever needed.
Being the person in charge of cleaning someone's nebulizer though, it'll probably not be used. Don't like to have anything on the fingers when handling that. And it's a common thing to grab a whistle and start playing in between giving meds.
I too favor the nickel Gens but have never had an issue with slippage.
Sometimes it feels like a juggling act is about to start. Can't give up the nickel though. Us rednecks love the shiny stuff! (Just look at the finish of every bass boat.)

Glad I could share a solution, Poohze.

Was gonna try duct tape, 'cause that usually is the go-to for solving problems. The rubbery electrical tape felt like it would be less likely to have slippage.

I know someone who volunteers at a zoo, so I could probably have all the gorilla snot I want. Getting it though....

Might have more than crooked pinkies to worry about. :o
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Another way of making nickel tubes easier to hold is to rub a little beeswax in the spots where your fingers fail to stick well. I did this on a bunch of my nickel-plated whistles, and around the time the first or second applications of beeswax had worn off via use, I had mastered the knack of holding nickel whistles without added assistance.

I'm one of those people who believes they hear a difference in timbre between nickel and brass tubes, and as I prefer (in most cases) the brighter tone of the nickel, it was very pleasing to find a way of improving my nickel-gripping skills.

In fact, I had entirely forgotten my early nickel gripping woes until I read this post, and then suddenly I was swept back into my era of frustration with slippery nickel. I had been almost given up, and was playing all brass whistles, until someone on the forum offered me the beeswax tip. I don't remember who it was, but thanks! It let my hold my Blackbird, which became my favorite whistle.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks for the beeswax tip, Squidgirl. This thread is going to make for an interesting list of supplies for the tin whistle toolkit: electrical tape, Gorilla Snot, and beeswax. :lol:

The tape got a better test run today. It's in the 80s and usually that means the Bb can only be played for a few minutes. Had it out for quite a while, along with the D and was able to keep the hands nice and relaxed with no slippage.
squidgirl wrote:I'm one of those people who believes they hear a difference in timbre between nickel and brass tubes, and as I prefer (in most cases) the brighter tone of the nickel, it was very pleasing to find a way of improving my nickel-gripping skills.
I have one brass whistle and that's a Waltons. One of these days maybe I'll grab a Generation brass D and do a comparison with the nickel plated one. I've been very pleased with all the nickel plated Gens I have (Bb, C, D, and G). All they needed was the flash filed off, no putty in any of them.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

I still deal with a lot of paper at work and I use rubber finger tips to turn pages quickly. Unless you have huge thumbs you should be able to find two of these that fit. I guarantee no slipage with these on your thumbs. You can probably find them at Office Depot or another such store.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

That looks like another good suggestion. Thanks for sharing it! :thumbsup:
Poohze

Post by Poohze »

I put some beeswax on the back of my Bluebird after Squidgirl's suggestion. Works a treat! I put too much on at first, but warmed it up a little and smeared it around. Provides just the right amount of 'grip', isn't visually obtrusive, and smells great. Thanks for that S-girl! :D

Cheers

Marc E
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

-Walt Whitman
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

It strikes me that The Slippery Nickel would be a great name for a tune, perhaps a jig.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

brewerpaul wrote:It strikes me that The Slippery Nickel would be a great name for a tune, perhaps a jig.
Maybe even a slip jig! :tomato:
Owner of Hermit Hill Folk Instruments - http://www.hhfi.biz
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

:lol:

And it could be played by a band called "Sweaty Fingers and the Slippery Nickels."
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Slip Sliding Away... oh, that's already been taken.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I've only tried this on one whistle, so I don't know if it will repeat. I used contact cement to glue a cloth strip to the back of of Feadog Pro to improve the grip but it looked weird so I removed it. (Surprisingly, it didnt affect the tone to any noticeable degree.) When I peeled off the cloth, a stippled strip of contact cement remained on the back of the whistle - perfect non-skid!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

I use small squares of grip tape, that looks like sand paper, under both thumbs and the right pinky. I do the same with my guitar picks. Works well , though the contact with skin feels strange at first. Oddly, I tend to find the painted Feadog tubes less slippery than unpainted ones.