B whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mike delta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

B whistle

Post by mike delta »

Hi Guys,
Has anyone made a B whistle or altered a Generation Bb whistle to play in the key of B. I sometimes want the use of a B whistle to accompany other piper's who play in B (even on CD recordings) but I only own a D set and a C# set of pipes. A B whistle would come in real handy for those occasional occasions.
I could try the whistle forum of course but speaking as a piper, I feel sure other piper's have too felt the need of a B whistle.
I'm thinking that maybe a Generation Bb could be cut down to play in B and in relative tune too.
Anyone care to offer their experience of either making or adapting a whistle to play in B.
Regards,
Mike
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: B whistle

Post by BigDavy »

Mike

Instead of bodging a Bb into something approaching a B whistle, why not get a B whistle. Erle Bartlett of Syn whistles makes a lovely sounding B body for his whistle sets, so I think he should be able to make a nice B whistle for you.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Burkewhistles.com
PJ
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

I took a Generation Bb and cut a bit off of the top and bottom, then enlarged the bottom two toneholes a bit in order to make the octaves in tune on those notes.
In the end, I had a very nice and very playable B natural whistle which played exactly the same as it did before I made it shorter.
For only $10-ish, it can't be beat. It's not going to make a subpar generation Bb any better though...so do it with one that you like.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oops, wrong forum (was in Uilleann). Also, déjà vu all over again. :-)

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=1&t=97819
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

www.colingoldie.de

Colin Goldies whistles are second to none.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think the object of the OP was to get a list of everybody's favourite maker of B whistles. There's horses for courses, I have gone with a B Sindt myself (after a few less satisfying attempts) and there's the Jerry Freeman converted Generation B or any amount of other possibilities.

I have seen Ronan Browne do a Bflat to B conversion just before a gig and that worked perfectly fine, recently saw another piper playing an home converted B as well, possibly Liam O Flynn.

Many things will do the job. The Bflat to B conversion process has been described here in some detail by Bill Haneman, among others.
My brain hurts

bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

That's true Mr Gumby but Torrin and MTGuru kind of covered the conversion, and haven't you just suggested your own personal favourites?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, no I didn't. I responded to your post with two alternatives that would also do the job.

But the point on my mind was really that this sort of thread are all too often overwhelmed by recommendations for just about every whistle under the sun, which at the end of the day defeats the purpose.

But never mind, just venting a bit (at the time of posting I was on a fast in preparation for a poking and probing session at the Endoscopy unit of Ennis General but that's done now and I have had my coffee fix)
My brain hurts

accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Although this is technically a fife, it is in B and will play as a whistle by adjusting the tuning head and obviously playing it as a flute.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandner-B-Fif ... 3f37007bde
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I'll second the link to Burke Whistles. I own a Burke Bnat in brass and it's my favorite of all for its tone and complexity(even if I only get to use it for solo work). Don't hurt yourself or your ears trying to make a cheap Bb whistle play correctly in Bnat.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Flogging Jason wrote:Don't hurt yourself or your ears trying to make a cheap Bb whistle play correctly in Bnat.
Oh, ye of little faith! While individual results will vary with the Bb to B hack on a Gen it is still a very viable route to take which can result in a darned nice whistle - especially when you consider availability and costs.

Sure, I own a brass Burke Bnat(and a couple dozen other Burkes). And I do like that whistle a lot- good tone, good performance, etc.. Still, a Gen Bb is a pretty nice sounding whistle, IMO and in the opinions of many other players as well. A person could hack quite a few Bb's down for considerably less money than the cost of a Burke. You could buy, what, 20 or so Gens for the cost of the Burke.
Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I've played quite a few burkes, and tried a couple in b at his booth once.

The generations I made to play in b are much better in my opinion (at least for my taste).

The instructions posted by Bill Haneman will work. I just chopped approx. 3/4" off the top and approx. 1cm off the bottom. Don't use those measurements though... I don't recall the exact amount and in any case my b set is flat of a440 (well, the b that would be at a440), so my whistles are a touch longer than needed possibly.

I didn't need to carve any holes, everything ended up being in tune with just the two cuts.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

NicoMoreno wrote:The instructions posted by Bill Haneman will work.
Those measurements and procedures are quoted and linked to in the "Tweaks" sticky at the top of this forum. So they are now more easily available for anyone that is interested. No more searching the boards for the answer. Thanks again to Bill Haneman, Tommy, pancelticpiper and everyone else who have shared how they go about doing this modification so that others have a good starting point and a good chance of success with their first attempt. Fewer Bb whistle will go to the grave early as a result of their willingness to share. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote: Fewer Bb whistle will go to the grave early as a result of their willingness to share. :)

Feadoggie
Yes.. brave and noble they were.
My X whistles are kept in separate box so they are not forgotten...and I remember that I already tried it that way. :-?
:lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086