Something to drool over.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emtor

Something to drool over.

Post by emtor »

Mind your saliva folks,-here's something to really drool over.
Forget Copeland whistles, or any other brand for that matter.
This gem is rare and hard to come by, and not only that,-it has a sound that most whistles could envy.
Allow me to present a Generation D-whistle made before the plastic fipple era.
The sound? -No raspiness . . . at all.
Smooth and pleasant second octave.
Responsive.
Perfectly in tune with itself through both octaves.
Not prone to clogging.

What on earth did Generation think of when they decided go down the plastic fipple path???

pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Something to drool over.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thing is, injection-moulded plastic was all the rage in the 1950s; it was viewed as an exciting new technology, sort of 'hip'.

A whole new industry, plastic model kits, was born, and was quite popular in the 1960s.

I can see Generation, back then, thinking that they needed to stay modern, current, and relevant. Plus, they probably discovered that using plastic heads was cheaper to mass produce.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

emtor wrote:
What on earth did Generation think of when they decided go down the plastic fipple path???

Hmmmmmm........... Perhaps they thought plastic was safer than lead.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

If only they had discovered delrin sooner!
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

emtor wrote:What on earth did Generation think of when they decided go down the plastic fipple path???
Increasing profits by replacing skilled craftspersons with an injection-moulding machine, perhaps increasing production at the same time, i.e. more profit through cheaper mass production, i.e. the usual story..... :x

Thanks for the pictures!
emtor

Post by emtor »

Perhaps they thought plastic was safer than lead.
Most likely they didn't care. Lead was considered unharmful by the industry,-a natural substance.
They could have used silver-solder, but lead was cheaper.
emtor

Post by emtor »

pancelticpiper wrote:Thing is, injection-moulded plastic was all the rage in the 1950s; it was viewed as an exciting new technology, sort of 'hip'.

A whole new industry, plastic model kits, was born, and was quite popular in the 1960s.

I can see Generation, back then, thinking that they needed to stay modern, current, and relevant. Plus, they probably discovered that using plastic heads was cheaper to mass produce.
After messing about with bakelite I too can see why plastics became popular.
But musically it was a disaster for Generation, but then they're not around for making great whistles,-just money.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

emtor wrote:Mind your saliva folks,-here's something to really drool over.
Forget Copeland whistles, or any other brand for that matter.
This gem is rare and hard to come by, and not only that,-it has a sound that most whistles could envy.
Allow me to present a Generation D-whistle made before the plastic fipple era.
The sound? -No raspiness . . . at all.
Smooth and pleasant second octave.
Responsive.
Perfectly in tune with itself through both octaves.
Not prone to clogging.
Well Emtor that is a very interesting whistle to have in a collection. :thumbsup:
Any chance of a sound clip.
Last edited by Tommy on Fri May 02, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I don't know about the drool... from the teeth marks... vintage biters and chewers. :o

Cigar anyone. :D
Brus

Post by Brus »

emtor wrote: What on earth did Generation think of when they decided go down the plastic fipple path???
Somebody at Generation saw "The Graduate"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'll re-post the '3 Generations' pic once again, as it's still on-line from a few weeks ago.

The middle one in the photo is one of yet an earlier age, call it the pre-sticker age. The name 'Generation' and the key 'D' are punched into the metal. The whistle itself is pretty typical of the pre-WW2 all-metal whistles. The lead is usually safely covered.
My brain hurts

O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

But musically it was a disaster for Generation, but then they're not around for making great whistles,-just money.
That might be just a little over the top -- some of the best sounding whistles I've ever heard were plastic-headed generations, and I've heard and played whistles made out of wood, aluminum, delrin, etc. (but admittedly not a true tin Generation) that couldn't hold a candle to some of my plastic-headed generations, tweaked or otherwise. And much of the recorded whistling prior to the nineties (and much of it since) was made using those plastic-headed whistles. I don't even think it's necessarily accurate to say that Generations switched to plastic to make more money -- certainly it lowered costs, but I'm guessing plastic-injected molding was more predictable and consistent re quality of sound in the 50s - 80s than lead molding. I love my custom, hand-crafted whistles, but I also love the plastic Generations, and generations of us have found cheap plastic-headed Generations whistles to be great sounding, affordable instruments. My two bits.
Last edited by O'Briant on Fri May 02, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

. Regardless, generations of us have found cheap plastic-headed Generations whistles to be great sounding, affordable instruments
Exactly. Another indicator of the improvement the plastic heads brought is the uptake they enjoyed, with the exception of Willie Clancy's little F whistle, who stayed with the all metal ones? Had they been superior, they would have been cherished and stayed in service. But they weren't.
My brain hurts

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have 2 jars of Gens with plastic heads and they're all good players, right down to my own little F...
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.