CP Announcing Freeman tweaked Vintage C Generations (rare)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP Announcing Freeman tweaked Vintage C Generations (rare)

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I have eleven remaining, and eleven only, pre-1980's bluetop C Generations that came to me new in the box, never played. (These have the beautiful deep cobalt blue top.)

When they're gone, they're gone, and we will likely see very few more, if any, ever again. In many months of searching, these are the only vintage C Generations I have found. Even if I do find others, it's very unlikely I'll ever find another that is "new old stock" as these are.

Awhile back, I determined that these vintage C Generations tweak to become the best C Generations I've ever encountered, more full bodied throughout the range than modern tweaked C's, which is especially noticeable in the upper register, where modern C Generations tend to be somewhat weak.

The price is $110 each, plus $6.00 US or $12.75 international postage. If you want insured postage, let me know, and I'll work out the cost. I can't refund or replace if one of these is lost in transit (it does happen, especially with international post).

For http://www.paypal.com, use jerry@freemanwhistles.com as my PayPal ID.

Or send a US$ check to:

Jerry Freeman
P.O. Box 191
Coventry, CT 06238

Either way, please include a message reminding me what it's for. Also, please PM me here at C&F so I can keep track of how many have been promised.

You can listen to one here:

Freeman tweaked Vintage Generation soundclip

You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Jerry Freeman

Re: CP Announcing Freeman tweaked Vintage C Generations (rare)

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Ten left.

or directly from me:

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just for curiosity's sake: Was the design of the C changed at all during the early eighties? The 'bump' in the new ones is slightly bigger but the windows size surely appears (visually) unchanged to me and I always felt the later Cs function exactly as the old ones. Can you specify any significant differences between the old and the 'new' ones? Or, in other words, would the same treatment give you the same result when applied to a later C and, if so, is it in fact the same as your standard C?
My brain hurts

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Peter.

Thanks for your questions.

The pre-1980's C Generations have a different size and shape voicing window, different geometry of bump, as you observed, and the noticeable molding marks: ridge along the beak, mold separation indentation on the belly. I've smoothed and polished the ridge somewhat to make them a little nicer. There will also be differences that aren't obvious to view: different geometry of voicing chamber, different dimensions of windway, etc.

The tweaking schemes are similar, but not exactly the same between the classic and current model Generations.

When tweaked, they are different from tweaked current C Generations, although clearly very closely related, especially in the upper register, which comes out more confident sounding and better balanced with the lower register.

Best wishes,
Jerry

or directly from me:

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

different geometry of bump, as you observed, and the noticeable molding marks: ridge along the beak, mold separation indentation on the belly. I've smoothed and polished the ridge somewhat to make them a little nicer.
Those are cosmetic differences and not really relevant from the player's point of view. And to be honest I fail to observe any significant differences in the window.

What I am saying is, after I just de-gunked my Cs the differences between old and newer models seem so minimal they're virtually non existent. Certainly from a practical point of view there are no really relevant advantages one way or another. Not sure I understand the fuss about the old vs new.

But that was my pre-coffee response this morning, let's leave it at that. Carry on now.
My brain hurts

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I did the first of these accidentally after Kevin Crawford took several of my tweaked Generations (alto A, low G, Eb, D, Bb; he's had my whistles for some years now, I show him my most recent work whenever I see him) between sets of a Lunasa concert. But he declined the tweaked C, saying, "I shouldn't take it, as I probably won't play it." I understood what he meant.

Then, a month or two later, I was filling an order for a full set of tweaked nickel Generations, and I found I didn't have any C's in stock. I looked through my personal collection to see if there was one I could use, but the only one I found was a vintage one. I decided to modify the contours make that look exactly like a new one, so as not to delay the order.

When I tweaked it, it was the best tweaked C I'd ever done, so I asked the folks here at C&F if they could help me find two or three more so I could tweak them for Kevin, Cillian and Sean. At the Teetotalers concert a few weeks later, I presented Kevin with the three tweaked vintage C Generations, which he liked very much. He accepted one for himself, one for Cillian, and he suggested I pass the third along to Kathleen Conneely, who was there with us backstage, so I gave it to her.

A couple of weeks ago, a longtime customer asked if I could improve the upper register of the tweaked C he had purchased from me some time ago. I told him about the tweaked Vintage C's, and he ordered one. I got this email from him:

"Hi Jerry, Just wanted to let you know I got the C whistle and it's fantastic, I can't stop playing it."

or directly from me:

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

But you're not going to tell us if there's a special difference between the old type and the later ones that makes these superior to your regular tweak of the later models then, are you? Well, fair enough. Image
My brain hurts

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

That's exactly what I'm telling you, Peter. I get a better tweak with the vintage C's. I can't tell you exactly what it is about the old ones that makes them tweak better, but they do. It's somewhere in the geometry.

or directly from me:

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Maybe you're thinking I know exactly what it is about the difference in geometry that makes them better. I don't know. They're just better.

or directly from me:

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

As of a few minutes ago, they're all spoken for. Those of you who sent private messages I haven't yet responded to, I've reserved a whistle for each of you. If any of the orders falls through, I'll post accordingly.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jerry

or directly from me:

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Thanks to you Jerry, I just went through my collection and found 2 Gen Cs with red caps that seem to fit your definition of "vintage." I must say without any tweaking these are marvelous. (Which is not to downplay your tweaking as I have several of your tweaked whistles and all are wonderful). This just made me think if I played like I do now when I started, I may never have bought high end whistles (yeah, right!). These are close in playability and tone to the 2 rarest whistles I own - Walton's Golden Tone Cs - perhaps the finest C whistles I've ever played. I also have 2 that look the same and are close when playing as well, but are marked "C Tin Whistle Irish Made." Regarding the Golden Tones, probably about ten years ago or so, after playing one and loving it, I called Walton's and they found the last 4 Cs on a shelf and sent them to me, and did not as far as I know ever make any others. It is odd that these old "cheapies" are such phenomenal C whistles and yet I've actually had trouble with some very high end makers in that key - I don't mean trouble with the makers, rather in getting even just decent whistles in that key. In sum, I much prefer those above as well as my old Clarke Cs to any C high end Cs I've played.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ah, the old Golden Tone C whistles. I've kept my eye out for one over the years but never had any luck, even on eBay. Shame they never reissued them.
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Ben Steen »

I received one of the tweaked vintage Cs yesterday & began playing it as soon as I got home. It's wonderful, Jerry. The only problem I've had so far is once I start playing it I cannot put it down. It's a good c whistle!