The Best Whistle for a Certain Key

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ickabod
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Best Whistle for a Certain Key

Post by ickabod »

I have discovered that there is somewhat of a “mythical” status bestowed upon certain whistles based on how they match up with a certain key.. Example: Some say the Generations B flat is said to be the best whistle for that key.

Would anyone be interested in sharing what that their views are as to what whistle holds the title of being the best whistle for a certain key? If so, please post!

Keep in mind, this is isn’t meant to be taken too seriously. The makers do a very good job with all the keys. But, I’m sure even they will admit they’ve run across something like this. Anyway, should be good for a chuckle or too. Mack Hoover in another post eluded to the perfect whistle being nothing more than an illusion. So its probably best to keep that nugget of knowledge in mind with this. :D

For convenience I’m providing a list of the common keys.

High F
High E
High Eb
High D
(High) C
B
Bb
(Low) A
(Low) Ab
Low G
Low F
Low E
Low Eb
Low D
Low C

I will start with my submission of the Generation B Flat Whistle.. I own one and it is my favorite whistle. :thumbsup:
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
MTGuru

Re: The Best Whistle for a Certain Key

Post by MTGuru »

ickabod wrote:Keep in mind, this is isn’t meant to be taken too seriously.
Good. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

High F - N/A
High E - Impempe
High Eb - Killarney
High D - Löfgren / Killarney / Mellow dog
(High) C - Goldie Overton
B - Impempe
Bb - Early 70's Generation
(Low) A - Löfgren
(Low) Ab - N/A
Low G - Löfgren
Low F - Löfgren
Low E - N/A
Low Eb - N/A
Low D - Löfgren
Low C - N/A
And that completes the votes of the Swedish jury :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Now you've done it! Probably haven't done this one in six months or so. :D

I've played whistle for going on 5 decades now. I've owned and played most of what's out there. I've made whistles for the last 15 years. It's a nice idea, makes for interesting discussion (which hopefully won't get out of hand). But ... there's no such thing as the best whistle for a any key. Now that's just my opinion.

As for the Bb. Have you ever played and O'Riordan Bb? How about a Copeland? Thin Weasel? Water Weasel? Burke? Goldie? Sindt? They are all great whistles. And the list gets longer the more I think about it. This is one of my favorite Bb whistles.
Bet you don't have one of those.

The Gen Bb is a good whistle. I've got a dozen or so in the box of Gens in the studio. It's the best Bb for anyone to buy as a first Bb whistle IMO. I think it is one whistle every whistler should own and play. For many players it is more than good enough to be played for the rest of their lives. But there are others that are just as good, maybe much better, but certainly different in timbre, dynamics, volume, response etc.

So, different horses for different courses. That's my vote.

One of the first lessons I took to heart as a whistle maker is that there are a broad variety of characteristics that individual players (at all levels) value in an instrument. And it is that which keeps us making more whistles and it is that which makes it possible for so many makers to offer their concept of what a whistle is to the whistling public.

Let the can be opened and let the worms squiggle out!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Let the can be opened and let the worms squiggle out!
I don't know why you keep buying those generic unlabeled brands. Personally, I'll stick with the brands I know.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

You mean there is more than the key of D? :-? I guess I have a little more to do.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:I don't know why you keep buying those generic unlabeled brands. Personally, I'll stick with the brands I know.
:lol: I wish we could still afford the brand name worms. But being retired, on a fixed income, and with the economy, the market, rising health care costs, etc. being as they are, you know, you have to cut corners where you can. So no more Campbell's Worms for us. We've actually been trying to grow our own in recent years. But they can be tough to keep going when things get cold.

Besides, condensed worms? Really? The fresh ones packed in the natural juices are better.

More on topic, I can't put my finger on the thread right now but I recall a discussion in one thread on Bb whistles that someone mentioned that they felt that whistles in Bb were always good whistles and that that particular key was one where few stinkers existed. There are a lot of good Bb whistles!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm not much of a 'whistle collector' so I don't have all that much experience with different brands. Once I get a whistle in a certain key that works OK I don't have the motivation to go out and buy ten more in that key, the only exception being Low D where I've bought quite a few in search for that 'perfect' one.

So in high keys from Bb to Eb I use Generations except for D (Feadog).

In low keys from Eb to A I use Burkes. (Except the rarely-used Gb and Ab for which I have funky Susatos.)

Low D it's MK for now, Low C my wonderful new/old Reyburn.

I will say that I have a fantastic-playing 35 year old Generation C, and that I've never come across a really good Generation Bb. I've played them! but they were owned by people who wouldn't dream of selling them. I'd love to find a great-playing Generation Bb.

Anyhow I leave the question posed in the OP to the 'whistle collectors' out there!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I don't know about “mythical” status. But in my rather limited experience,certain manufacturers do seem to have whistles that perform particularly well in a certain key.

I have played about a half dozen Generation Bb whistles and found them all good players. Some better than others. Have not had that luck with any other Generation key. Not my favorite in that key, but what a value.

The Susato C standard bore whistle is the best sounding Susato in that width and is an outstanding outdoor/camping instrument. Wind, rain, temperature extremes. Hardly notices. Have had people who say they don't like Susatos tell me they like that whistle. Or at least like it more than a D. :-)

Hoover whitecap on a Gen Eb body. I have used Hoover whistle heads to transform several Gens and Feadogs, but to me there is something magic about this combination. I have had only two of these combos, but both were excellent. Two is not a large enough sample to draw a scientific conclusion, but I think it's a real winner. Would like to know if anyone else has reached the same conclusion. Thanks again, Mack!
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

I like all of the above. Two thoughts: 1) I do think the Gen Bb is special--bell note is particularly solid and the volume is fairly even across both octaves. 2) I am a big fan of Jerry's Mellow Dog in C and D, but especially in C -- I haven't played a C that I like more, and the price is eminently reasonable.

Briant
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ok, I'll play.

high D - Sindt
C - Walton Golden Tone
Bflat - O'Riordan Traveler
A - O'Riordan Traveler
G - O'Riordan Traveler and Copeland brass
F - Overton
low D - Burke Viper
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
eilam

Post by eilam »

i love my Shaw A and Goldie F, for high D mostly play my Goldie.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

MTGuru wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:Let the can be opened and let the worms squiggle out!
I don't know why you keep buying those generic unlabeled brands. Personally, I'll stick with the brands I know.

But is it New England or Manhattan?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'm absolutely certain that this is an impossible question to answer but with a few cheats here's my shot:

High F - unplayable, my hands are just too big. Gen I suppose
High E - unplayable, " " " " " " " . Gen I suppose
High Eb - Sindt
High D - Sindt brass head/silver body, (cheat) Busman D+
(High) C - Harper
B - Jerry Freeman Gen
Bb - Copeland, (cheat) Jerry Freeman Gen
(Low) A - hands down Goldie (unbelievable whistle)
(Low) Ab - never seen one and don't know who makes one. Goldie I suppose.
Low G - Copeland
Low F - Copeland or Goldie (toss-up)
Low E - Reviol or Humphrey
Low Eb - Reviol
Low D - Goldie or Reyburn Alloy (toss-up)
Low C - Gonzato (seriously)

I prefer my worms fresh or freeze dried.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon